Skin seams on all female characters and models

XieranyXierany Posts: 16

While setting up a scene I noticed a line on the top of the arm of my character, where the texture looked weird. When I zoomed in I noticed that the transition from arm to torso texture or bump map is visible, and checked previous work I had done. I found the same issue on previous renders, so I decided to check my default character, and it had the same problem. Decided to check 3 other default character and they had the same issue, Victoria 7 for G8 had even worse seams in the same spot, with a visable seam seperating the front and back of the shoulder. I decided to check the legs and face transition too and Victoria had both these seams too, while the other character didn't, or it was barely visible.

I've checked the character surfaces and all the settings are the same between the body parts. I tried increasing my texture compression to 8k in render settings, but the seams are still there. I've been in contact with support and after 3 weeks of trying they gave up and sent me here. From their findings they suggested Octane was the issue and that it had converted the textures to Octane. I have since uninstalled and removed Octane, but the seems are still there, even on new characters. They quoted a forum post to me with the following: "So what I did was simply merge the parts where seems are visible. Shift+click on the torso, arms, and legs for example and choose "combine and delete" or something like this (He's using the German version, so the labels might be different...). Then the separate objects will unite, but polygon selection tags will be created so you can still select the parts separately and the UV assignment also stays the same.". They did not provide the link for this forum post, and I have yet to figure out where this option is.

The first picture is of a character with texture, maps, hair, clothes and all that. 2nd picture is from base V7 for G8. I tried uploading two more pictures but they won't work for some reason, showing a seam on the arm/shoulder seperating 3 parts, front and back of the shoulder, and the arm.

Anyone have any experience or tips on how to solve this? This is all in Iray viewport and renders btw.

Skin difference.png
1582 x 1127 - 3M
V7 for G8 Thigh.png
1533 x 834 - 1M
Post edited by Xierany on

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,461

So this is affecting more than one set of materials?

• XieranyXierany Posts: 16
    edited June 28

Seems that way yes. I did send support a Screenpal video of me loading a bunch of different characters and they said Octane was converting materials which likely causes the issue. I have since removed Octane Render Kit, but either that's not the issue or I have been unable to fully remove it somehow.

Post edited by Xierany on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,461

Using fresh loads of the content? I'm not sure if it still applies, or would be relevant here, but the Octane plug-in did make some persistent adjustments as I recall.

Richard Haseltine said:

So this is affecting more than one set of materials?

I think so yes. I sent a Screenpal video to support of me loading multiple different characters and models, and they said that it was converting materials to Octane while loading. I have since removed Octane, but the issue still persists. Unsure if Octane wasn't the issue or if there still is some trace of Octane still on my system messing up things. 

This thread dead? Still need help. Also, believe the issue is only for female G8 models

• GhostofMacbethGhostofMacbeth Posts: 1,606

I find it really odd that no one else is reporting it. Did you do something special or just load the character?

• GhostofMacbethGhostofMacbeth Posts: 1,606

This is an example of what I get with one

Shoulder.png
    896 x 1344 - 2M

I first noticed it on an edited character, aka one that I had applied everything to and was ready to render. Then I checked base characters and just the base G8 model and they have the same issues. No idea why mine are screwed up and support were not able to recreate the issue either, so really lost on how to fix it.

So yes, the issue is for all female characters regardless. It seems that it's only for the arm/shoulder area for the most part, though some have the thigh and head seam too

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 6,262
    edited July 10

What is DS version you're using ?

You load a G8F Base figure into the scene, Ctrl + 0, make sure you see the issue is still there. Save the scene file and attach it in here so that we may help to check.

Post edited by crosswind on

Newest version, 4.22.0.16

Attached the scene file with a base G8F.

duf
    duf
    Broken G8F.duf

Unfortunately, I saw nothing wrong in the scene and I coundn't reproduce the issue you have.... I'm scratching my head ~~

For the time being, I would only suggest you: use DDU (https://www.wagnardsoft.com/display-driver-uninstaller-DDU-) to completely uninstall Nvidia driver as well as the residuals, and install a fresh latest Studio Driver, then try again.

Did this and reinstalled the drivers, no change sadly

Then, reversely, you try the file from me... See what will happen ~~

duf
    duf
    G8F.duf

Yeah my stuff is f'ed, cause I get a seam on your file too. Think I might try to wipe DAZ completely and reinstall, though with a lot of manually installed content organized in folders, it's gonna suck big time

f2dc1372b09b4105513790e391bfbf.jpg
    1519 x 892 - 162K
    edited July 16

Hey man, I have to say I'm terribly sorry for my bad eyes ! Yes, on G8.xF Base figure, if zooming in to be close enough and with a proper angle of light, I could reproduce the seams ! (but no different skin tones...)

Thanks to your thread ! I've never carefully observed Base figure with default texture maps, as I always use Dev Load... After checking the texture maps, I found the issue comes from the maps per se. I have to say G8 Starter Essentials have flawed texture maps... (at lease Diffuse, Bump, Roughness maps on Torso/Body and Arm surfaces... they're not seamless aligned..)

But normally such an issue shouldn't happen to other characters as long as their skin texture maps were well made... I don't think you need to reinstall anything for the time being.

What character are you using ?

SNAG-2024-7-16-009.png
    1471 x 1294 - 1M
    SNAG-2024-7-16-008.png
    1315 x 1045 - 498K

I'm sorta relieved that it's not just me, but not sure if it helps too much. Only reason I checked the base G8F model is because my other characters had the seam. The first one I noticed it on was on Krashwerks Priscilla, but then I checked Victoria7 for G8, and she had it too. Pretty sure I checked other characters too, but can't remember exactly. Support told me Octane converted the materials upon loading the models which made me get rid of Octane, but it never solved the issue. I even tried recreating the characters from scratch with different textures and the issues still persisted. 

One super weird thing is I have my asset folder shared across my local network and a 2nd weaker PC connected to it. When I loaded both base G8F, and Krashwerks Priscilla from a completed scene, neither of them had the seams.

I found the same issue on V7 for G8... the flawed area in torso map is almost the same as G8.XF.  I also checked Krashwerks Priscilla ( I got it from Rendo site... ) as well as a couple of other characters, but I found no similar issue at all. I ever installed octane plugin and completely uninstalled it a long time ago ~~

So I'm a bit lost ~~ there might be other culprit(s) on your side...

SNAG-2024-7-16-013.png
    2027 x 1173 - 2M

So I ended up wiping Daz completely from my system, uninstalling and searching for every folder I could find and deleted it all. In the process I found 2 more folders of Octane somehow and deleted those too. I've installed Daz again and gotten my library back.

I loaded G8F and I have the same stupid seams. I loaded Priscilla and I still have seams. I also loaded Aurore and sure enough, she has seams as well. I'm so lost, like do I need to reinstall my entire PC or what is going on?

Priscilla skin seams.jpg
    1522 x 1123 - 218K
    Aurore skin seams.jpg
    1617 x 1034 - 166K

Well.... to me, there is no tone issue any more but just Torso/Body and Arm textures are not 100% seamless. I still believe it results from texture maps rather than you DS application or default resources... It happens. You can hardly see it if zooming out a bit.

I used to find out the similar issue on some other character products and send the tickets (Grace Yong, Gou Luk...)... the vendors fixed them then ~~

I didn't notice them at first, but when lighting an outdoor scene I noticed the seam and then went back and noticed it on every previous render.

But there has to be something weird with my system cause I have my asset library shared across my network and my 2nd PC can load all the same stuff without having any seams, including the base G8F model.
    My guess is either there are corrupted files somewhere on my system, but seeing as reinstalling didn't fix it I'm kinda stumped at what to do.

edited July 17
    You mean on another PC, G8F has no issue at all? If so, it is really weird... I still have that issue on my PC. I'm getting frustrated...

Yes, my old PC that's connected to the same library through a shared folder on my local network. No skin seams on any models, characters or whatever it is.

I share your frustration, it's been almost 8 weeks for me now, and I'm trying to make a video game with it but this is stopping all progress currently.

edited July 18

I can clearly see the seam issue with close-up on G8F Base figure no matter in the drawstyle of  Texture Shaded or Iray preview, DS General Release or Public Build, because I do find the seam issue on Torso / Body texture maps from Starter Essential package.

You couldn't see the seam issue in Texture Shaded on your another PC ? (ss1)

And yes, I did find issues on some characters of G8/G9 as far as I check. They're either with poorly-made texture maps with seams or with texture maps made from G8 Base figures or merchant resources. Those defects or flawed areas can be easily found from the texture maps.

If the texture issues on G8F/G8M could be confirmed, I would be a bit relaxed...

SNAG-2024-7-18-000.png
    2560 x 1392 - 1M

I have the seams regardless of viewmode, for both the base G8F model and for every female character that I've loaded. Some are less noticable but they all have it. But seeing as my other computer doesn't have these issues, and there's a not a lot of people reporting this, I assume there's an issue on our ends. 

I am still in contact with support and they did change their tune once they found out I had issues in every viewmode, so fingers crossed they can figure it out. When wiping my system of Daz and reinstalling doesn't work, there has to be something weird going on.

Things are getting unbelievable to me. I just checked all these things with 2 laptops of mine, brand new installation of DS and G8 Starter Essentials (win10 and win11), the seam issues were found to be very same. No issue have been found on G9 from its starter essentials.

I really don't believe other folks couldn't reproduce the issue with G8 base...

• lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,406

if this is character specific, sounds like the solution is not to keep insisting on using bad textures then

Issue isn't specific characters or even just a texture issue, it's all female characters, including base G8 model.