500 x 332 - 34K
    Post edited by Chohole on
  • TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,078
    edited December 1969

Spyro said:
    tjohn said:
    Hungry. Breakfast time!

I have never seen a cat eat produce!
    They will eat anything if you starve them long enough.

Kidding!

edited December 1969

Let's see; I've seen them eat almost everything in the way of "people food" except for lettuce, breads, and most fruit.
    From Wikipedia/cats:
    "Cats have relatively few taste buds compared to humans. Domestic and wild cats share a gene mutation that keeps their sweet taste buds from binding to sugary molecules like carbohydrates, leaving them with no ability to taste sweetness."
    So why will they eat watermelon? My educated guess (I hold a BS in Biology - No, really!) is that they enjoy the cool refreshing aspect of watermelon.
    Also from Wikipedia/cats:
    "Cats are obligate carnivores: Their physiology has evolved to efficiently process meat, and they have difficulty digesting plant matter. In contrast to omnivores such as rats, which only require about 4% protein in their diet, about 20% of a cat's diet must be protein. Cats are unusually dependent on a constant supply of the amino acid arginine, and a diet lacking arginine causes marked weight loss and can be rapidly fatal. Another unusual feature is that the cat also cannot produce the amino acid taurine, with taurine deficiency causing macular degeneration, wherein the cat's retina slowly degenerates, causing irreversible blindness. Since cats tend to eat all of their prey, they obtain minerals by digesting animal bones, and a diet composed only of meat may cause calcium deficiency.

A cat's gastrointestinal tract is also adapted to meat eating, being much shorter than that of omnivores and having low levels of several of the digestive enzymes that are needed to digest carbohydrates. These traits severely limit the cat's ability to digest and use plant-derived nutrients, as well as certain fatty acids. Despite the cat's meat-oriented physiology, several vegetarian or vegan cat foods have been marketed that are supplemented with chemically synthesized taurine and other nutrients, in attempts to produce a complete diet. However, some of these products still fail to provide all the nutrients that cats require, and diets containing no animal products pose the risk of causing severe nutritional deficiencies.

Cats also eat grass occasionally. Proposed explanations include that grass is a source of folic acid or dietary fiber."

So just because cats can't process vegetable matter doesn't mean they won't eat it, or that it will harm them. Just make sure that the house plants you keep are not poisonous to your precious fuzzies.

edited December 1969

I realize that post wasn't stupid, but I promise to make up for it later. :lol:

• SkirikiSkiriki Posts: 4,975
    edited December 2012

We had a long-haired cat (angora/Norwegian forest cat mix) who insisted that she gets served Chinese cabbage, cut, with every meal. If she wasn't given any, she refused to eat her food. It wasn't that she was prissy, it was that her hair just would otherwise form too complex clots in her tummy.

Oh and before anyone Zerg Rushes me to ask where the hell I've been, answers forthcoming in Complaint thread. It is also kinda stupid...

Post edited by Skiriki on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

there could be a simple expalanation

why_do_cats_eat_grass_lol.jpg
    492 x 504 - 47K
    edited December 1969

Yeah my Dad always said our dogs and cats ate grass because they had upset tummies. Judging by their subsequent actions, he seemed to have a point. :)

• SylvanSylvan Posts: 2,705
    edited December 1969

One of mine eats chocolate...I know it can be dangerous for dogs, not sure about cats.
    Let's say she's still alive XD
    It's not that I am feeding her chocolate, it's more that there's always choclate around me in the house and when I turn my back for just one sec. I hear the "omnomnom"sounds already!

edited December 2012

One of my favourites, love to throw it at people randomly on Facebook...
    Especially when they want something from me, I don't agree with XD

0MkY8_large.jpg
    494 x 584 - 28K
    Post edited by Sylvan on
    edited December 2012

Estroyer said:
    One of mine eats chocolate...I know it can be dangerous for dogs, not sure about cats.
    Let's say she's still alive XD
    It's not that I am feeding her chocolate, it's more that there's always choclate around me in the house and when I turn my back for just one sec. I hear the "omnomnom"sounds already!

You should read the article at this link and plan to keep a close eye on your chocolate and store it safely away from her.
    http://www.petmd.com/cat/conditions/digestive/c_ct_chocolate_toxicity#.UMuTzne7l2A
    Post edited by TJohn on
    edited December 1969

Oh crap!
    So, it's the same as in dogs...

Thanks for the warning ><</p>

edited December 2012

..................................................................................................................

christmas_lights._.jpg
    329 x 280 - 21K
    Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 2012

chohole said:
    ..................................................................................................................

E-ville! E-ville I tells ya! :ahhh:
    Post edited by TJohn on
  • Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 26,148
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    there could be a simple expalanation

So that they can vomit grass pieces on the carpet?

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,109
    edited December 1969

autofit sure makes a dogs breakfast of M3 wizard robes sleeves!!
    in Carrara I can re-weight paint them but this is one casre just using M3 so much simpler!
    stoooooooopid

sc00.gif
    200 x 200 - 544K
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,583
    edited December 1969

We had cats we nicknamed "Melon-Licker" and "Obligate Corn-ivore"

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,985
    edited December 1969

tjohn said:
    Hungry. Breakfast time!

...our old cat Mister loved melon. Cantaloupe, Honeydew, Water., loved them all.
    edited December 1969

We had cats we nicknamed "Melon-Licker" and "Obligate Corn-ivore"
    388a6_funny-pictures-cat-eats-corn.jpg
    500 x 601 - 42K
  • SpyroRueSpyroRue Posts: 5,020
    edited December 1969

Naw, it's a little leopard

edited December 1969

Spyro said:

It is a Savannah Cat! I know it, 'cuz I want one.

Now here's something stupid... one can cost about 25,000 USD.

But I still want one.

edited December 2012

25K?

Amazed they aren't left in the wild.

Are they the mid-sized cats? Bigger than domestic cats, but smaller than the big cats

They have a real creepy hiss and a big cat growl.

Post edited by SpyroRue on
    edited December 1969

Skiriki said:
    Spyro said:

It is a Savannah Cat! I know it, 'cuz I want one.

Now here's something stupid... one can cost about 25,000 USD.

But I still want one.

Oh wow, that's a lot of money, can get kittens from around £700 here in the UK (that's around $1130)

BTW, after searching around I finally found a fairy to put on top of the christmas tree

fairy.jpg
    477 x 720 - 26K
    edited December 1969

Spyro said:
    25K?

No, they are domestic cats.

They're domestic cats crossbred with servals.

Savannahs are much more social than typical domestic cats, and they are often compared to dogs in their loyalty. They can be trained to walk on a leash and even taught to play fetch.

Are they the mid-sized cats? Bigger than domestic cats, but smaller than the big cats

They are the biggest domestic cats known.

And adorable chirps!

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    BTW, after searching around I finally found a fairy to put on top of the christmas tree

*chokes on her soda*

Right, back to bed, fever's getting better of me. For a moment I thought chohole stuck a bottle of Fairy to the top of the tree...

edited December 1969

OK, so I looked it up and found "Fairy Shampoo".
    Why would anyone want to shampoo a fairy? (scratches Ugly American head)

edited December 1969

Skiriki said:
    Spyro said:
    25K?

No, they are domestic cats.

They're domestic cats crossbred with servals.

Savannahs are much more social than typical domestic cats, and they are often compared to dogs in their loyalty. They can be trained to walk on a leash and even taught to play fetch.

They are the biggest domestic cats known.

And adorable chirps!

Ah yeah, they the ones I seen on a doco. They is awesome! Shame you must be rich to have them.

edited December 2012

18+ only bare breasts on dancing woman I am trying to avoid offending people under 18 with my stupid videos so attempting to add a filter to my Google doc link via DeviantArt
    let me know if this stupid ploy works

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
    edited December 1969

the idea is you must be signed in to get the link

edited December 1969

tjohn said:

Sorry Tjohn, very British joke I guess. http://www.fairy-dish.co.uk/uk/fairy/product

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    tjohn said:

Sorry Tjohn, very British joke I guess. http://www.fairy-dish.co.uk/uk/fairy/product
    I got it really, but you have to admit that "Fairy" is an unusual brand name.
    In the States the normal Christmas Tree toppers are angels or stars. Fairies, huh? Cool. :coolsmile:

This discussion has been closed.