DAZ spamming

EricofAZEricofAZ Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in New Users

I'm getting popups on Renderosity and DAZ3d.com when I go to the sites. Please stop.

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?thread_id=2858712&page=1#message_4005673

Comments

• KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854
    edited December 1969

I have never seen anything like that pop up from daz much when I was on renderosity. I am using IE9 btw.

• JasmineSkunkJasmineSkunk Posts: 1,902
    edited December 1969

Me either, I'm on Chrome. I don't think that's anything Daz is doing.

• ValandarValandar Posts: 1,417
    edited December 1969

I hate to say it, dude, but if you're the only one getting these, the problem is NOT on DAZ's end. Even if you're only getting them on DAZ and Rendo, then it's still VERY likely a targeted ad bot, and not DAZ or Rendo's doing.

• ghastlycomicghastlycomic Posts: 2,531
    edited December 1969

Valandar said:
    I hate to say it, dude, but if you're the only one getting these, the problem is NOT on DAZ's end. Even if you're only getting them on DAZ and Rendo, then it's still VERY likely a targeted ad bot, and not DAZ or Rendo's doing.

On a completely unrelated note...

Oh MAN! Your avatar is bringing back so many wonderful memories of the 80s. I should fire up my Atari ST.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

You need to use Ad blocker or something similar. This is not something that DAZ 3D is doing. A program to disable scripts, like Noscript may also clear it.

• AscaniaAscania Posts: 1,849
    edited October 2012

Actually, first he needs to clean that adware doing this off his computer before an ad blocker will do him any good there.

His computer has been infected and will keep on giving him the popup without a good scrubbing first.

Post edited by Ascania on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Yes Ad Aware , Spybot or Malwarebytes spring to mind as useful apps to do this.

• joea64_bdfaa5ca94joea64_bdfaa5ca94 Posts: 298
    edited December 1969

chohole said:

If you use Firefox, I recommend AdBlock Plus (which I use). NoScript, which I also use, is excellent for blocking unwanted or potentially malware Javascripts, though you have to approve each new site individually the first time you visit it (you can approve it either temporarily or permanently; NoScript also has a facility called WOT Search Report [I think] where you can check the safety/reliability/privacy of each site you visit before deciding whether to add it to your approved list).

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited November 2012

The screenshot posted on Rendo shows that the popup belongs to Superfish...a known adware perp...

Decontamination required.

Post edited by mjc1016 on
  • 3dLux3dLux Posts: 1,225
    edited December 1969

The OP of the rendo thread eventually realized and admited it didn't come from either Daz or Rendo but from malware. A poster in that thread observed that Cnet downloads have bloatware.

I've been to Daz and Rendo on two computers (and an iPad) and have never had that problem. One computer has an anti-virus and my kick-ass workstation doesn't. Why? Because I read some time ago that IT security guys themselves do not use it. If you're care about what sites you visit, stuff you download and what you open they feel it's unnecessary (the article said that owners of businesses are correct in using protection because they can't control what their employees will do).

If you're having problem with one browser from malware or pesky plug-ins or other stuff, I highly recommend Revo Uninstaller. it's freeware and uber effective. I found out about it when I upgraded the video card of my regular PC from an Nvidia to a Radeon and I kept on getting error messages because the PC couldn't find the old card. Even my guys at the PC shop didn't know what to do (and they've saved my bacon more than once :P ). Revo did the trick.

A stop gap measure is to have more than one browser; my regular PC has 13 (although some of them don't work because the company's closed).

edited November 2012

Problem is...Superfish is a 'panbrowser' adware popup client.

Basically a successor to Gator.

Post edited by mjc1016 on
  • cjreynoldscjreynolds Posts: 155
    edited December 1969

I read some time ago that IT security guys themselves do not use it. If you're care about what sites you visit, stuff you download and what you open they feel it's unnecessary (the article said that owners of businesses are correct in using protection because they can't control what their employees will do).

I don't worry much about malware, viruses, etc.

My solution?

DO NOT SURF THE WEB FROM AN ADMIN ACCOUNT! I can't stress this enough. Create a "Limited" account and use that for everyday work, surfing, etc. Only use your admin account when you really need it (maintenance, installing programs, etc.).

You see, any website you visit, or any file you download, only has access to the files you have access to. That means if you are an administrator, a malicious file has access to all of your files - system files, everything.

Logged on as a Limited user, you only have access to the files in your account and profile. Not Windows system files, etc.

Therefore, when I get malware, etc. on my PC, I switch to my admin account, blow away the account I was using (the "limited" account that was infected), and create a new account - Done.

edited December 1969

I read some time ago that IT security guys themselves do not use it. If you're care about what sites you visit, stuff you download and what you open they feel it's unnecessary (the article said that owners of businesses are correct in using protection because they can't control what their employees will do).

My solution?

DO NOT SURF THE WEB FROM AN ADMIN ACCOUNT! I can't stress this enough. Create a "Limited" account and use that for everyday work, surfing, etc. Only use your admin account when you really need it (maintenance, installing programs, etc.).

You see, any website you visit, or any file you download, only has access to the files you have access to. That means if you are an administrator, a malicious file has access to all of your files - system files, everything.

Logged on as a Limited user, you only have access to the files in your account and profile. Not Windows system files, etc.

Therefore, when I get malware, etc. on my PC, I switch to my admin account, blow away the account I was using (the "limited" account that was infected), and create a new account - Done.

Mostly true...

This like most security advice will take care well over 95% of the problem...but, there are those rare items that will not be stopped by this. They will elevate their privileges and infest a system at the admin level no matter what level you are when you 'catch' them.

So...while this is great and will stop the bulk of the crapware, it shouldn't be an 'only line of defense' nor should, just because you have removed the infected account, count on being totally clean...double check before assuming 'clean'. Of course, the bulk of the time you will be...but it just takes one item that is 'outside' the box to blow a hole in your defenses.

• mark128mark128 Posts: 1,029
    edited December 1969

My solution?

This will protect you from many of these issues, but not from everything.

One big problem I have noticed is that some companies are now starting to package crapware with their products. I got one of these web add bots on my computer recently. I'm not 100% sure where it came from. CNET is certainly a possibility. But I have noticed many more formerly reputable companies have taken to packaging crapware with their products. You have to check every installer very carefully to make sure what it is actually going to install. You have to use an Admin account to install the software you want, so once you give the Admin password, you have to be careful what they are actually installing.

• Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

chohole said:

I have all 3 of those apps and have always found they do the job.
    edited December 1969

mark said:
    One big problem I have noticed is that some companies are now starting to package crapware with their products. I got one of these web add bots on my computer recently. I'm not 100% sure where it came from. CNET is certainly a possibility. But I have noticed many more formerly reputable companies have taken to packaging crapware with their products. You have to check every installer very carefully to make sure what it is actually going to install. You have to use an Admin account to install the software you want, so once you give the Admin password, you have to be careful what they are actually installing.

Not just Cnet...heck Adobe Flash is wanting to install extra crapware...and unlike years ago, when things were going like this, there is no outcry from the JoeUser...no massive out-pouring of dissent. The masses are blindly allowing it...