Question for "Everyday Stationary" users

DDCreateDDCreate Posts: 1,388

Hopefully someone with this product can answer this. How Cooperative is this project as far as changing the images on the items? For instance if I want to change the cover of the book to something different. Are there seperate surfaces for that or is it going to be something I'll have to work with using primitive planes? Any info would be awesome.

https://www.daz3d.com/everyday-stationery

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,476
    edited August 2016

Oops, wrong thread - sorry. I will reply to the one I meant to reply to and come back.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • Yes, they generally have separate surfaces for different parts - the diary, for example, has the cover, the inner cover (the bit visible around the pages), the edges of the pages, the ribbon that projects from between the pages, and the metal used at the corners. The mapping is flat, but doesn't necessarily fill the UV square so you may need to add some padding around the edges for some items.

• DDCreateDDCreate Posts: 1,388

Awesome! I love me some versatility! Thanks Richard. When you say add some padding around the edges do you mean postwork in Photoshop or something like that?

• I mean if you have an iamge that you want to place on the front of the diary (which was the item I was looking at) you would need to add some blank canvas around the edges of the image to make sure it fitted in the correct position. That isn't, as I recall, true of the simpler shapes (posters, business card and such).

• macleanmaclean Posts: 2,438

HI,

The pack comes with 28 templates for the various props. (You should be able to download the templates on the product page).

As Richard said, the diary has 2 templates - cover and pages. Just remember that this isn't a diary with turning pages, but comes as 2 different props - one closed, the other open. So the pages template would be used to re-texture the open version. (I have books with turning pages in other products, if you need one).

The template shows you the exact area of the diary cover, so all you need to do is place your image correctly.

Oh hey Maclean, is this your product? If so, thanks for weighing in. I am actually more concerned with the magazine pages, the poster and the boxes. I haven't bought it yet but I'm about to in a minute. If I have questions can I give you a ring?

Well it doesn't appear i'll need any help! This prop set is pretty easy to work with! Nice job!

• macleanmaclean Posts: 2,438

Heh. If a customer doesn't need any help, I must be doing something right. LOL

If you do get stuck, just yell.

mac

• maclean said:

Heh. If a customer doesn't need any help, I must be doing something right. LOL

If you do get stuck, just yell.

mac

An (Iray) update would be nice, like Everyday Groceries, etc.

• Roman_K2Roman_K2 Posts: 1,229

@ Doctor Jellybean - your results may well vary, but what exactly would an Iray update provide?  Perhaps I am missing something but in general things like "Everyday Drinks" have rendered ok, and if I want something more exotic I can use an Iray shader?

For example (and I'm still not sure what happened to this one but...) in the Everyday Morphing Primitives the flat or undulating terrain or any flat plane primitive, really — can take a "water" shader.

Sorry if this relatively 'advanced' stuff is not of immediate interest to new users. blush

• DoctorJellybeanDoctorJellybean Posts: 8,360
    edited April 2022

Roman_K2 said:

@ Doctor Jellybean - your results may well vary, but what exactly would an Iray update provide?  Perhaps I am missing something but in general things like "Everyday Drinks" have rendered ok, and if I want something more exotic I can use an Iray shader?

For example (and I'm still not sure what happened to this one but...) in the Everyday Morphing Primitives the flat or undulating terrain or any flat plane primitive, really — can take a "water" shader.

Sorry if this relatively 'advanced' stuff is not of immediate interest to new users. blush

Oh, I know about Iray shaders and 3delight to Iray conversion scripts. Sometimes, when sets get an update, new items get added and/or the geometry get an update. A quick look seems to indicate that that some Everyday products now include Iray versions, e.g. Everyday Household Items, Everyday Groceries.

One can hope that @maclean has Stationery and other Everyday sets which don't have Iray versions, are on the to-do list.

Post edited by DoctorJellybean on