Need help witrh the older products ZIP files

Hi,
I had this problem a little ways back , then it was fixed for a week or so and now its back. The problem is when I download one of the zip style products I get the following error message when I try to unzip it "Cannot open file: it does not appear to be a valid archive". I download zipped files from RENDO,RDNA and others and do not have this problem. Was wondering if it was being looked at? I am using IE7. I tried upgrading to IE8 but that did not fix the issue so I went back to 7, I just like it better. A few weeks past when this first started I called DAZ tech services and the technician ended up sending me the file vis email. We did notice that the file size he had was a slight bit larger then the one I downloaded so something was not being downloaded when I tried. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

Zip files here are usally for Mac's are you running a Mac?

If there are old zipped PC files have you tried using 7-Zip http://www.7-zip.org/ as I have found Winzip to be hit and miss.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Normally I only get the Not valid error message when I have an incomplete or corrupted download. Try clearing your cache. That is most important, as the corrupted file will stay in your browser's cache and every subsequent download attempt will fail at the same point.. So clear your cache and download it again.

Every one of the older products, when I have downloaded a zip from DAZ 3D have downloaded very quickly and unzipped easily using the inbuilt unzip function in windows, and I often reset and re download these, to trouble shoot them for people, if i have purcahsed the same product in the past.

• edited December 1969

Thanks for the advice. Have one question though,where might I find this cache file you are referring to?

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited November 2012

Jestur said:
    Thanks for the advice. Have one question though,where might I find this cache file you are referring to?
    clearing internet cache in ie7 Top link of the page. It really is so easy to search Google these days I cannot stress enough how useful it can be. All I did was type in the query and hit search. Took me all of a minute. :)
    Post edited by Szark on
  • edited December 1969

Thanks for the info on the cache,unfortunately it had no effect,still get the same error message. The frustrating thing about this is DAZ is the only place I have this problem. Oh well I guess i'll just keep trying,though I wish they would just go back to the old way never had a problem then. Thanks for the help all.

edited November 2012

You could try resetting the download in question, using the reset button in your itemised order history.

Normally clearing your browser cache does make sure that you don't get the corrupted download version. If you have a corrupt download stuck in your cache then i t will not be possible to download a corrected version, so clearing your cache is a necessary step,

Also as Szark says, do make sure you are attempting to download the correct version of the product. At the moment only some of the older products are in zip files for the Windows version. Usually the zip version is the Mac download and the windows versions come as .exe files.

Edited to add, can you let us know which product it is that you are having the problem with, so we can investigate this further.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • edited December 1969

Well I tried just about everything I can think of with no luck. Even tried downloading and purchasing the latest version of WINZIP since mine was a few years old but no help. There is deffinately some data missing from the zip file. I don't know why or how but that is the case and since it is only files I download from DAZ, no other site gives me problems, I guess I will just have to shop eleswhere till this problem is resolved. A shame though since I have been a Platnum Club member and purchased a large quantity of items over the years. In answer to the one suggestion I am not trying to download the MAC version. I purchased the Lady of the Lake outfit for V4 last night and of course it was a zip file and did not work so I will have to call today and see if they can send me the file unzipped.

edited December 1969

I just reset my download for Lady of the Lake, and it came with an .exe for Windows and a zip for the Mac download.

store_screenie_L_othe_lake.jpg
    623 x 88 - 44K
  • edited December 1969

Thanks. When I get home from work i'll give it a try.

• edited December 1969

Hi chohole,
    Unfortunately what you are referring to is the bundle, I am just trying to get the outfit I purchased which comes the following way "14387_LOLVictoria4_1.2_dpc_ZIP". Just thought I'd let ya know. It will not open due to the missing file or files.

• El Jefe 52El Jefe 52 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Hi, I've run into this problem with some of the files also. What I do, is to open the file in WinRar. The file will open to another file with no extension. Then I open the second file with WinRar, and it will show the Runtime or Content file. From there, I drag that file to a test folder, and all the needed files are now available to be placed in the correct Runtime folders. It has worked with all the older files that are downloading as "ZIP" files.

Hope this helps you out.

Robin

edited November 2012

In that case you should have had a file that was an exe as well as a zip. Unless you are using a Mac the zip is of no use to you, you need the exe.

I would suggest that you contact Support, and enclose a screen shot of "Your Downloadable products" shwoing this code, because it does not appear to be a correct code for a DAZ 3D download.

• edited December 1969

chohole,
    I did a little thinking after your last reply and went back to check my Downloadable stuff and just on a hunch I clicked on the MAC download and lo and behold it was the .exe file, sooooo it would appear that the Lady of the Lake files are just labeled wrong. That problem solved. I have yet to try the RAR fix for my other issue with the older stuff ZIP files. Thanks for the input all.

edited November 2012

I am glad you got that one sorted out anyway. We have now reported this to the correct dept at DAZ 3D, so thanks for your help with uncovering the problem.