Transfare files from 32bit pc to 64bit pc

Angel1359Angel1359 Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in New Users

Hi all

I was able to purchase a cheap 64bit pc with 1tb of space, do I now need too reload all my purchased files from my daz account and if I do what files would be a waste of time re-downloading as I have now updated too the DAZ 3D 4.5 pro version?

I have a file transfer tool called the tornado which does work with win 7, but I don't want too migrate files that will not work in the 4.5 pro version.

Comments

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited November 2012

Angel1359 said:
    as I have now updated too the DAZ 3D 4.5 pro version?

One of the more important questions is which version of DAZ|Studio you're updating from. Almost all content that worked in earlier versions will work in 4.5 — although some things have been updated to work better, and a lot of Genesis content in particular has been updated recently to deal with the new DSON Poser importer.

The main thing to watch out for are plugins. These will in general not work after copying from one machine to another, unlike plain content, and pretty much all of them have been updated, so you'll need to redownload and reinstall. Note that some plugins were made by people no longer active at DAZ, so updates may not be possible. And some plugins are now incorporated in the D|S program installer, so running the old separate installer will make them stop working.

There may be complications if you use Smart Content: I don't, so you'll have to ask someone who does. Apart from that, though, simply copying to the new machine and (most importantly) making sure your content paths set in Preferences/Directories are correct should be all you need to do. I did the same thing a while back when I upgraded to a new machine, Win7, and D|S4 all at the same time. I was up and running again as soon as I'd finished copying across my old content and double-checked that I'd reinstalled all my plugins.

Post edited by SpottedKitty on