LineRender9000 [FAQ]

124»

Comments

• burginburgin Posts: 18

Thanks Oso3D !

• tkdroberttkdrobert Posts: 3,540
    edited October 2019
    Oso3D said:

Personally I think LineRender9000 would be much more useful for architectural stuff.

I think fresnel mode and color Id will help for making really clean lines.

I haven't really used color ID.  I should experiment with that sometime.

Post edited by tkdrobert on
    burgin said:

« Set your cameras to 3delight>LineRender9000 instead of Scripted 3Delight>LineRender9000. »

In Render Settings: if I select Scripted 3Delight as the Engine, I can select a Render Script. But when I switch the engine to 3Delight, the Render Script option disappears.

How do I get 3Delight>LineRender9000 ?

Thanks again !

Should be in the drop down menu, but I can't check right now.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,969

Fresnel is great at catching edges without the flooding of Normals, and color id is awesome at defining outlined spaces.

The second problem that commonly afflicts comic stuff is that a post filter can't 'understand' that this brown and that brown are different objects that should be separated.

I use pwtoon a lot but a big reason for that is I use a lot of organic figures and pwtoon is much faster.

But some of that speed is lost when you have to tweak surfaces to keep them from flooding.

With your help, I'm getting there. For other newbies, like myself, who may be following this, the attached is:

Fresnel reflected v Scripted 3Delight>LineRender9000, Use Colorld materials, Line width 0.35, Line Edge Threshold 0.025

I have Render Shadow enabled. That there are no shadows may simply be a lighting issue – or do I need to bring in another camera?

Test.png
    578 x 346 - 102K
    burgin said:

With your help, I'm getting there. For other newbies, like myself, who may be following this, the attached is:

Fresnel reflected v Scripted 3Delight>LineRender9000, Use Colorld materials, Line width 0.35, Line Edge Threshold 0.025

I have Render Shadow enabled. That there are no shadows may simply be a lighting issue – or do I need to bring in another camera?

When Rendering in 3Delight, you have go to the Lights tab (bottom Right), chose the light(s) in the drop down menu and turn on shadows.  For I use Raytraced shadows. 

Burgin, that looks like an awesome line drawing. Cool!

tkdrobert « When Rendering in 3Delight, you have go to the Lights tab (bottom Right), chose the light(s) in the drop down menu and turn on shadows. »

I think I've done this – see screenshots of my settings. What puzzles me is that the line settings shown in Render Settings don't agree with the actually applied settings in the LR 9k Auto Render window.

Oso3D. Thanks !

Screenshot 2019-10-18 at 16.51.41.png
    1044 x 1028 - 127K
    Screenshot 2019-10-18 at 16.53.22.png
    1348 x 812 - 90K
    burgin said:

tkdrobert « When Rendering in 3Delight, you have go to the Lights tab (bottom Right), chose the light(s) in the drop down menu and turn on shadows. »

I think I've done this – see screenshots of my settings. What puzzles me is that the line settings shown in Render Settings don't agree with the actually applied settings in the LR 9k Auto Render window.

Oso3D. Thanks !

If you have a distant light or a spotlight ligting your scene, you have to go into the settings for that light and turn on shadows, seperate from LineRender's settings.  We may be getting of signals crossed, let me know if that is the case.

tkdrobert « If you have a distant light or a spotlight ligting your scene, you have to go into the settings for that light and turn on shadows »

Thanks. I've now done that (see screenshot) but it hasn't made any difference at all to the render.

It seems contradictory to ask for a clean outline render, and for black shadows at the same time. I'm wondering if shadows shouldn't be rendered from a separate camera and composited in PS.

Screenshot 2019-10-18 at 18.03.39.png
    776 x 1648 - 167K
    burgin said:

tkdrobert « If you have a distant light or a spotlight ligting your scene, you have to go into the settings for that light and turn on shadows »

Thanks. I've now done that (see screenshot) but it hasn't made any difference at all to the render.

It seems contradictory to ask for a clean outline render, and for black shadows at the same time. I'm wondering if shadows shouldn't be rendered from a separate camera and composited in PS.

I get black shadows from using the Shadow Opacity cam.  Not sure why you aren't.

Inspired to go have some fun with LR9K.

I initially tried this in PWToon and... it was ugly. I still used PWToon for the basic shading/color, but no PWToon outlines.

Otter on the River.jpg
    1300 x 1000 - 471K

tkdrobert « I get black shadows from using the Shadow Opacity cam.  Not sure why you aren't. »

Because I wasn't using one ! I've added the Shadow Opacity cam, and now get the two files shown in the screenshots.

So now I know how to get a clean line, and how to get a clean shadow. Do you agree that what I need to do now is work on the lighting – until I get the shadows I want ?

Thanks again

Screenshot 2019-10-18 at 19.03.07.png
    1100 x 712 - 242K
    Screenshot 2019-10-18 at 19.03.20.png
    1054 x 624 - 63K
    Oso3D said:

Inspired to go have some fun with LR9K.

I initially tried this in PWToon and... it was ugly. I still used PWToon for the basic shading/color, but no PWToon outlines.

That's basically what I do.  Use PwToon for the shaders with outlines turned off and LineRender for the lines.

burgin said:

tkdrobert « I get black shadows from using the Shadow Opacity cam.  Not sure why you aren't. »

Because I wasn't using one ! I've added the Shadow Opacity cam, and now get the two files shown in the screenshots.

So now I know how to get a clean line, and how to get a clean shadow. Do you agree that what I need to do now is work on the lighting – until I get the shadows I want ?

Thanks again

Yes.  I'm glad you are getting the hang of it.

Thanks. Now I have another issue! Since making those renders I can't display the model in its original colours anymore! I switch to the perpective view – it's in black and white. I create a new camera – still black and white. I restart the program – still black and white. Do you have any idea how I can get the original colours back???

Duh … Sorry – don't know how it happened, but I'd somehow switched the DrawStyle choice (options menu top right of viewport). AOK now.

I'm getting on well now with LR9K – but is it possible to prevent it from producing an icon file with every render?

Thanks

• On the LineRender9000 Daz page is an example. It is the second picture with a girl in a blue dress holding a staff. I was wondering exactly how I would get this exact type of image as it is what and have been trying to get but to no avail. Thanks for your help.

• Does LineRender9000 work with the newest Daz Studio 4.20?  It is not showing up as an option when I switch Render Engine to Scripted 3Delight or just 3Delight.  It shows up in my Scripts Folder, but there is no way for me to enter ColorID in the Surfaces tab.  It was working fine when I was using the Beta version of 4.20 so I'm not sure what happened.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thank you.

• HELP!

The bonus scripts for AUTO-ASSIGN ColorID is not working. I've tried it on multiple objects and fresh scenes with fresh objects and keep getting an error.

I would really like to keep and use this, but if it doesn't work I will have to ask for a refund since the scripts are the sole reason I purchased the tutorials bundle.

Screenshot 2022-09-16 131806.png
    2560 x 1022 - 435K
    Screenshot 2022-09-16 132414.png
    1906 x 746 - 139K
    Screenshot 2022-09-16 134129.png
    2560 x 1022 - 226K
  • Silas3DSilas3D Posts: 561

Hi everyone, whilst I can get the script to work, it always renders square instead of respecting the aspect ratio of my scene camera.

My original camera is set to 2:3 aspect ratio (7200px width, 10000px height). At first I thought the overall size was too big, the output images were 8600 x 8600. But even when reducing the size to 1000x1500, the output is still square (1250 x 1250). I only want outlines so am only using the main camera and no composite passes.

I've also attached render settings - there's no size options under the LineRender9000 settings.

Any ideas?

Screenshot 2023-06-05 120606.png
    780 x 511 - 50K
    Screenshot 2023-06-05 121748.png
    689 x 328 - 29K
  • djigneodjigneo Posts: 283

Kirsten said:

Does LineRender9000 work with the newest Daz Studio 4.20?  It is not showing up as an option when I switch Render Engine to Scripted 3Delight or just 3Delight.  It shows up in my Scripts Folder, but there is no way for me to enter ColorID in the Surfaces tab.  It was working fine when I was using the Beta version of 4.20 so I'm not sure what happened.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thank you.

theworldswhatyoucreate said:

HELP!

The bonus scripts for AUTO-ASSIGN ColorID is not working. I've tried it on multiple objects and fresh scenes with fresh objects and keep getting an error.

I would really like to keep and use this, but if it doesn't work I will have to ask for a refund since the scripts are the sole reason I purchased the tutorials bundle.

In both of these cases, I suggest verifying the Render settings >  Engine is set to 'Scripted 3Delight' and Render script is set to 'LineRender9000'. When this setting is toggled for the first time, all surfaces dynamically get the LR9k ColorID property. Before this point the property won't be there. That would explain the Color ID property not being visible in the first case and possibly why the script is erroring in the second (because it cannot find a Color ID property to set).

• Silas3DSilas3D Posts: 561

Silas3D said:

Hi everyone, whilst I can get the script to work, it always renders square instead of respecting the aspect ratio of my scene camera.

My original camera is set to 2:3 aspect ratio (7200px width, 10000px height). At first I thought the overall size was too big, the output images were 8600 x 8600. But even when reducing the size to 1000x1500, the output is still square (1250 x 1250). I only want outlines so am only using the main camera and no composite passes.

I've also attached render settings - there's no size options under the LineRender9000 settings.

Any ideas?

For anyone else who experiences this issue, it's because my viewport camera had `use local dimensions` enabled. Neither this or the render settings dimensions were being respected, but disabling the local dimensions then allows the render settings dimensions to work.