Gel Lights to make better firelight?

Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,605
edited December 1969 in New Users

I was rendering a campfire scene, and a friend who uses poser suggested I add a gel light to diffuse the light on the hand of the characters near the fire to make it look more realistic. by making a cloudlike texture and creating a more dappled look.

I don't own any gel lights... I use daz 4.5

She suggested I try following instuctions here:

http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/artzone/pub/tutorials/dazstudio/studio-lighting03

However, there are no pictures in the tutorial, and I can't seem to grasp this concept.

Does anyone have an idea how to make a gel light in Daz 4.5 or a tutorial which covers this idea?

I'm trying to push what I do with lights a bit more, and I admit I am somewhat a novice with lighting. The fire itself is composed of point lights of varying strengths and colors.

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,474
    edited December 1969

uberPoint supports Gels, as does uberSpot - you can also make them with Shader Mixer. Unfortunately the basic DS lights don't support them - what that tutorial does is apply a transparency map to a primitive and have the light shine through that, which works OK for distant lights but would probably be hard to hide if your image shows the fire itself.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

uberPoint supports Gels, as does uberSpot - you can also make them with Shader Mixer. Unfortunately the basic DS lights don't support them - what that tutorial does is apply a transparency map to a primitive and have the light shine through that, which works OK for distant lights but would probably be hard to hide if your image shows the fire itself.

There was a long thread on the old forums about making them in ShaderMixer...the end result is that that there is a ready to use GelLight, made in ShaderMixer, available for download on ShareCG

http://www.sharecg.com/v/35928/View/7/Material-and-Shader/DS3-Gel-Light-(Image)

It's not quite as easy to use as the UberPoint or UberSpot, and you need to supply your own gels...but it still works in DS4.x

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,605
    edited December 1969

Thanks for your help, Richard MJC. Much appreciated.