EULA: Laptops and Online Businesses

UDevUDev Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in New Users

I was just looking at the EULA and I had two basic questions. The answers (at least the first one) seem to be kind of implied, but maybe Daz should look into adding something to cover these.

The EULA says,

"The 3-D Model(s) may be copied in whole or in part for User's exclusive use. Unauthorized copying of the 3-D Model(s) is expressly forbidden.... Specifically, you (the User) may copy the 3-D Model(s) onto the storage device of an unlimited number of computers; provided that all such computers are physically located at your business, or if you are a residence, your place of residence located at a single specific street address (or its equivalent)."

1) I assume that Daz isn't trying to limit it's products being used on laptops, but are laptops considered located at "your business" or "your residence" even if you take it and use it everywhere you go?
2) Does the EULA cover businesses that have employees online or in multiple buildings, or would each employee/building need to have a payed-for copy of each product?

Comments

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

The laptop thing has been covered before...but I believe it was on the old forums, so it isn't readily accessible

Basically it boils down to this...is it yours and in your contro?. If you aren't leasing/lending it when it's 'outside', then things are fine.

As to the 'online'/multiple buildings...I assume you are talking about an in-house network or something that requires logging in to the company's central servers...I'm not sure if it has been covered...but if the buildings are on the same plot, sharing the same 'network' it's probably fine...but if it's an office in Toledo, Ohio and one in Sante Fe...probably not.

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

UDev said:
    I was just looking at the EULA and I had two basic questions. The answers (at least the first one) seem to be kind of implied, but maybe Daz should look into adding something to cover these.

The EULA says,

"The 3-D Model(s) may be copied in whole or in part for User's exclusive use. Unauthorized copying of the 3-D Model(s) is expressly forbidden.... Specifically, you (the User) may copy the 3-D Model(s) onto the storage device of an unlimited number of computers; provided that all such computers are physically located at your business, or if you are a residence, your place of residence located at a single specific street address (or its equivalent)."

1) I assume that Daz isn't trying to limit it's products being used on laptops, but are laptops considered located at "your business" or "your residence" even if you take it and use it everywhere you go?
    2) Does the EULA cover businesses that have employees online or in multiple buildings, or would each employee/building need to have a payed-for copy of each product?

If you want to know the definitive answer, then you will have to write to DAZ 3D using the Help > Contact us button at the top of the forum. Support will be able to answer your questions, and you will know for sure how the EULA applies.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,474
    edited December 1969

I'm pretty sure the answer on laptops is correct - if it belongs to you and has your home as its home then it's fine to use it on the road. The multi-located business question I'm not sure about.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

I'm pretty sure the answer on laptops is correct - if it belongs to you and has your home as its home then it's fine to use it on the road. The multi-located business question I'm not sure about.

I'm pretty sure there was a similar laptop question on the old forums, but I couldn't find it...it was asked in one of the long threads and answered there, not on its own, so my searching isn't coming up with much.

• UDevUDev Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Okay, thanks (all of you) for the quick reply. I think I'll go with your suggestion, JimmyC, and contact support.