Question on editing content library.

All right, here is my question. Does any one know if there is a plug-in / program that would allow me to edit the content library easily? I like to be able to cut, paste, and create folders like in windows explore. Being able to back it up after I organize it would be a bonus.

Thanks.

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,582
    edited December 1969

Do you mean using Categories within DS4.5? You should already be able to do that. Select a folder or individual items and right-click to categorize them. To back up your categories, Content Library > Options Menu > Content DB Maintenance > Export User Data

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

added to what mike said above when you categorize a folder, sub folder or just one item you can then in the Category section of the Content Library start to copy, paste, make new folders or delete.

• edited November 2012

I am Sorry if I was unclear In my question. I do not have the technical language of daz user’s down yet, I am still new to this.

Ok I give it a try.
    Form the content library : view as list.

First column: poser Formats -->my library --> Figures (I take it that this is a category column) -->Folders --> Product/subfolders.

I can cut and pace the product like Vic morph ++ and move to a new folder.

What I would like to do is be able to cut the whole folders like Cassia_v4 out of the pose folder and move the whole folder to say to a new folder Called People.
    I do not really want to creating a new folder with the same name, then taking each item from one folder to another, then having to delete that fold and doing it again for the next folder with stuff I want to move.

I just want to get it organized better.

Now I tried something else. I backed up my daz library to a different drive.
    I open windows explorer and made folders for people, clothes , ect ., that go with V4, M4 ect .

Then I restarted daz, had it scan know Directories for files and now its organized a lot better.

The only problem is the characters I made prior to messing with the folders is that I can’t load them.

That’s fine because I only had 2 of them and it was not hard to rebuild them.

Now I am wondering if this was the wrong thing to do. Everything seems to work right But I can’t help feeling that This method was wrong and I will have problems later on.

And mister Szark, I have peeked at you thread and plan to read it in whole this week and from what I seen of it, WOW. I want to get as good as you.

Post edited by manfalcon54_58ff890f6e on
  • SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited November 2012

You can move things around in Windows Explorer as long it is only Daz Studio formatted files. Never move things that are in a Runtime.

Thanks for the kind comments...hope this helps.

But here is what we mean by doing it inside Daz Studio.

In the Content Library Pane (not Smart Content Pane) right click on any folder, sub folder or single item and follow the pictures below. Then once you make the folder, sub folder or single item in to a Category then you will be free to move, make new folders, delete etc. But only in the Category section can you move things around like you would do in Windows Explorer.

Also you might have to Create a new Category Folder first before Categorising a single Item/file etc.

Cats4.jpg
    878 x 841 - 349K
    Cats3.jpg
    886 x 880 - 337K
    Cats2.jpg
    1122 x 726 - 363K
    Cats.jpg
    918 x 609 - 249K
    Post edited by Szark on
  • Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,259
    edited November 2012

I move things in the runtime regularly with no problems. There are more rules though, and if any of the rules aren't followed, things disappear, so it isn't recommended unless one is willing to do the necessary homework. Categories work well for putting items that are spread between poser and DS sections under a single area/heading. For instance, many items have Poser base objects with DAZ shaders. By putting them both under a common sub-catagory, they can be grouped together in a way that makes sense and doesn't require going to the different subtrees (Poser/DS) to find things. Basically, I find that organizing the folders allows me to set up categories more easily and efficiently and that the end goal is to use categories to actually find most things. Many people skip the organizing of folders etc and go straight to using categories off of the default install location. This shortcuts having to learn a lot of rules regarding moving items and doesn't break metadata like moving things does. It's just that for some of us, this is too chaotic (like dirt behind the fridge kind of chaotic.)

Post edited by Joe Cotter on
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

The whole 'Runtime' structure dates back to somewhere in the Paleolithic, when hard coded paths were the only way a program could find things (often by thousands of slaves, toiling in the hot desert sun, carving them into blocks of stone...oh, wait, that's building the Pyramids, sorry...it was done by hundreds of children punching holes into rectangular cards...)...back then most things contained the geometry information in the 'figure' file itself, or right in the folder it was in...and moving anything resulted in a broken figure.

Since then OSs have moved on to relative paths and beyond...but buried deep within Poser is still that need to have everything in those ancient, predefined locations...

DS on the other hand keeps that structure for compatibility...for it's own files, it can usually find them if they are, at least, in a basic mapped 'content' folder.

So, the crazy, often, illogical layout still stands.

The best way to get around it is to leave the actual files/structure alone and use Categories that you define yourself, within DS, because as Gedd said, it can be done, but often is more of a headache/time consuming chore than just categorizing everything the way you want, in the first place.

• edited December 1969

ok, Thanks every one.

dan