Smoothing Modifier Jagged Explosion of Clothing

uplandmoduplandmod Posts: 0

Hello,

As stated above when I apply smoothing Modifier on some clothing items there is an explosion of jagged edged parts from the clothing itself.

While this has happened before from items I've downloaded from renderosity this is the first time this has happened with an item I've purchased from here.

I have a Mac platform.

Thank you!
Leonardo

Comments

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Can you provide a link to the item and a screenshot of the 'explosion'?

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,898
    edited December 1969

A screen shot of the issue PLUS a screen shot of your Parameters Tab showing your smoothing/collision settings for that item please

• reelyorreelyor Posts: 235
    edited December 1969

Try reducing your collision iterations down to 1

• VirgoRivalVirgoRival Posts: 47
    edited December 1969

The easiest thing I know that fixs this is changing the "Smoothing Type" to Generic which seems to fix it

edited December 1969

The easiest thing I know that fixs this is changing the "Smoothing Type" to Generic which seems to fix it

That's one possible fix...but there could be several others, too.

But there is also the off chance, most likely extremely rare and hopefully not likely to ever happen on a bought item, that the 'explosion' is being caused by the parts (groups) not being 'welded' together. In which case the only real fix is to redo the geometry (and quite likely UV mapping...). The only real chance of that happening, is on a self made item or something extremely old (embedded in a cr2/pp2 geometry/1st generation Vicky type stuff). Or slightly less rare, an item that has lots of tris as opposed to quads and/or unwelded vertices. (Generally this happens with imported conversions of other 3D formats). One duplicated/unwelded vertex is enough to cause some very nasty looking 'explosions'. And the smoothing algorithms used don't deal with tris very nicely.

Both cases smoothing will 'explode' everything (or create gaping holes). I run into both of those when converting things like cars to use in DS...

• BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,886
    edited December 1969

Well I've been staring into my crystal ball for an hour, and I still have no clue what the OP wants, I'd try telepathy but that gives me blinding headaches. :P

@ mjc1016, I doubt it's due to an unwelded mesh, DS4 auto-welds any hard split grouped meshes it finds when it's loading Poser content, that's why 4.0 had so many problems with PMD morphs exploding, the duplicate vertices were still in there and blow the vertice order and count. It's also a lot more common than you'd think, due to most (if not all) current modeling programs not being able to do a single skin mesh with soft split grouping (ie it's welded but the groups didn't get deleted).

edited December 1969

Bejaymac said:
    Well I've been staring into my crystal ball for an hour, and I still have no clue what the OP wants, I'd try telepathy but that gives me blinding headaches. :P

@ mjc1016, I doubt it's due to an unwelded mesh, DS4 auto-welds any hard split grouped meshes it finds when it's loading Poser content, that's why 4.0 had so many problems with PMD morphs exploding, the duplicate vertices were still in there and blow the vertice order and count. It's also a lot more common than you'd think, due to most (if not all) current modeling programs not being able to do a single skin mesh with soft split grouping (ie it's welded but the groups didn't get deleted).

That actually explains something odd that happened the other day with an item I created...now to go check it again.

Also it would explain why it seems to happening a bit more often lately.

• uplandmoduplandmod Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Thank you everyone for the responses!

I don't have the internet at home ( I just moved) and it's difficult to find time at work to post here, so it is greatly appreciated.

The collision iterations seemed to the trick. All the issues associated with the explosion were fixed.

Thank you everyone for your help!

Leonardo