Can't seem to replace my avatar...

CypherFOXCypherFOX Posts: 3,401
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Greetings,
I uploaded an avatar, finally, and then decided it was too dark. I've recropped and lightened the image, but now the forum won't accept my new one. Even if I remove it, and then re-upload, it reverts to the first one I uploaded. (That's weird, right?)

Any hints on how I can get removing the current one to 'stick', so it'll allow me to upload a new image, and make that new image my avatar?

Thanks for any hints/advice!

-- Morgan

Comments

• ledheadledhead Posts: 1,586
    edited December 1969

The file format may need to change, at least it does in the signature. If it was a jpg change it to a png or vice versa. It may or may not work, but doesn't hurt to try.

• DireBunnyDireBunny Posts: 556
    edited December 1969

I had the same exact problem a few days ago. So finally i tried it once more, replaced the old avatar with the new one, yet again the old avatar showed back up, gave up, came back a couple days later and was surprised to see the new one magically appeared .

• CypherFOXCypherFOX Posts: 3,401
    edited December 1969

Greetings,

Ledhead said:
    The file format may need to change, at least it does in the signature. If it was a jpg change it to a png or vice versa. It may or may not work, but doesn't hurt to try.

Thank you! It looks like you get one chance to upload an image in each format. :) I normally upload PNG, but when I uploaded it as JPEG it recognized it as a new image. I then tried to re-upload the equivalent PNG and it went back to the dark avatar...so I apparently can't replace the PNG, but my JPEG equivalent works just fine.

This is why I threw myself on the mercy of the forums, because I knew someone would have a crazy idea that just might work! ;)

Thanks again!

-- Morgan

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,882
    edited December 2012

Did you try a forced refresh (ctrl-F5)? The forum seems to be very bad about marking files as updated, and so needing a fresh download instead of using the cached copy. Changing the file type of course means that the one on the server is different from the one in the cache, at least on the extension, and so it gets downloaded.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • CypherFOXCypherFOX Posts: 3,401
    edited December 1969

Greetings,

Did you try a forced refresh (ctrl-F5)? The forum seems to be very bad about marking files as updated, and so needing a fresh download instead of using the cached copy. Changing the file type of course means that the one on the server is different from the one in the cache, at least on the extension, and so it gets downloaded.

Yes, I'd tried forced refresh.

-- Morgan