Why is this program so hard to install?

R1CH1R1CH1 Posts: 80
edited December 1969 in The Commons

I've been using DAZ since 3.0 and I don't think I've ever really installed it properly. I just installed DAZ 4.5. The program folder was installed into my 64bit Programs folder and the default folder i installed into my libraries. But instead of letting it go to the default Documents folder, which I always thought made no sense. I made a Daz4.5 folder and saved it there. But like I never know where to install things. Some of the older installers, remember old directory paths and confuse the hell out of me. I'm installing content that's either not showing up, partially showing up, or showing up, but not loading on the figure. Is there some way of making sense of Daz once and for all?

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,583
    edited December 1969

Never allow the installers to pick the install location, always make sure it is the place you specified. Different generations of installers use different defaults or try to add "Content" onto the end of the path.

• K T OngK T Ong Posts: 485
    edited December 2012

In my experience I've learned that as a rule you always let DAZ software and items install as they will rather than specifying where you'd like them installed. Otherwise very often you'd just get really lost. (In particular avoid relocating the 'My Library' folder.) As for the items you install in DAZ Studio, I understand most of the time they'll show a readme at the end of the installation telling you how/where to find them in DAZ Studio.

Have to agree that the menus of DAZ Studio can really get confusing at times. I've sometimes searched for possibly 10 to 15 minutes for items I've installed, only eventually to find them in the places I least suspected they would be. But hey, whaddya expect -- DAZ Studio 4.5 is FREE!

(EDIT: Ummmm, I just noted that fixmypc offered some advice diametrically opposed to mine. Well, what I'd say is: if you wish to specify the installation paths yourself, just be sure exactly what path you have in mind and where the item(s) will end up! ;-) )

Post edited by K T Ong on
  • MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,900
    edited December 1969

This may or may not help you understand things a bit better...

Dealing With Zipped Poser Content
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/5436/

Runtime Organization:
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/2460/#32068

• R1CH1R1CH1 Posts: 80
    edited December 1969

Never allow the installers to pick the install location, always make sure it is the place you specified. Different generations of installers use different defaults or try to add "Content" onto the end of the path.

thats what im saying. i cant get my head around where stuff goes. So I cant get the program to work properly.

edited December 1969

a while back I bought the Angie Lee costume for V4 http://www.daz3d.com/shop/angie-lee
    I installed into Daz 4.5. It shows up in the content folder but wont load onto the Genesis figure. I thought everything loaded onto the Genesis figure.

edited December 1969

Do you mean it loads but doesn't automatically conform?

edited December 1969

Do you mean it loads but doesn't automatically conform?

no. i double click or drag and drop, as one would usually do, and nothing happens. nothing loads or even attempts to load.

edited December 1969

Can you show me the exact path it shows up in Content Library and the exact path it was installed to?

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,887
    edited December 1969

Most likely you are loading a material file rather than the clothes themselves - the material file will modify the clothes once you have them loaded and selected.

edited December 1969

Most likely you are loading a material file rather than the clothes themselves - the material file will modify the clothes once you have them loaded and selected.

that's what I was thinking. They are in the Content Library under Clothes, not textures or materials. I cant find any other related files, just those. That's what I'm saying. I installed the content and this is what I got. Why can't it just be easy?

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,887
    edited December 1969

This looks to be an older product with separate DS presets, in the DS content library, for use on the Poser clothing, in the Poser content library. Were there two installers? If so did you run both, and look in the Poser Formats library under Figures for the actual clothing models?