Virus found in GenesisStarterEssentials_Uninstall.exe

chr.nitzschechr.nitzsche Posts: 0
edited December 2012 in New Users

Hello everybody.

Is it possible that there is a trojan in the GenesisStarterEssentials_Uninstall.exe? Today i was about to reinstall my Daz Studio 4.5 but while uninstalling the old version i got a trojan alarm. After checking the file on virustotal.com i got the following results:

Comodo: Heur.Suspicious
McAfee-GW-Edition: Heuristic.BehavesLike.Win32.ModifiedUPX.N
TrendMicro-HouseCall: TROJ_GEN.F47V1018

I am realy confused now how to deal with this message.

Post edited by chr.nitzsche on

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 2012

AV programs have gone into paranoid mode just lately. Many people are finding false positives being shown.

Usually this is because the program or whatever is not recognised because not enough people have downloaded it that use that particular AV app.

Try running a scan with MalwareBytes to double check but I very much doubt that there is any problem with the DAZ 3D download.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

For crying out loud...this is absolutely rediculous!

Here's what the MacAfee report means, translated into English...

"This file, while not sure what it is, must be bad, because it acts like an 'packed' uninstaller"...

Comodo's means, "I haven't got a clue what the hell this is, so it's bad."

TM's: "No clue, either, but I'll call it 'generic' trojan', because it might be similar to something that installs adware.'

Here's an interesting read on the matter from a small software developer's point of view...

http://blog.nirsoft.net/2009/05/17/antivirus-companies-cause-a-big-headache-to-small-developers/

(some of the comments may be 'off color', I haven't read all of them, so I'm not sure...but these kinds of things do tend to provoke rather heated responses)