It's what's between the legs that counts.

ghastlycomicghastlycomic Posts: 2,531
edited December 1969 in New Users

I'm trying to make a tight fitting slinky dress but I appear to be having a little trouble with the skirt and I don't know if it's something I'm doing wrong with the transfer or if it's my geometry that's the problem.

Do I need more polys between the legs or is there a setting I can adjust on the transfer utility to fix the problem.

And on an unrelated note. Arrrrrgh, how I loathe the right elbow on the Genesis figure and its infernal symmetry creep.

dressgeometry.jpg
956 x 654 - 69K

Comments

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,633
    edited December 1969

You may need more polygons. I'm not sure about the rounded thing you've got going on in the knee area, but I'm willing to be corrected if it's a technique I just haven't noticed in others' work yet. Was there a particular reason for that?

I would also suggest smoothing between the thigh and shin groups with your weight map smoothing brush, to help decrease the amount of blockiness once you've increased your polys there. Make sure you have the smoothing/collision modifier added and set around 5 for smoothing. It looks like you may not have one at all given that there's visible clipping?

• ghastlycomicghastlycomic Posts: 2,531
    edited December 1969

Smoothing the weight maps seems to help a bit and I was hoping to be able to create a mesh that would work without the smoothing modifier applied. When I apply the smoothing modifier things get worse and even cranking the collision up to 100 still won't fix the problem. I've fixed up the geometry a bit which helps. I'm still getting a lot of weird distortions when the legs are in certain poses.

Skirts are soooooOOOOooooo much harder to get to work than pants.

dressgeometry2.jpg
    414 x 620 - 55K
  • niccipbniccipb Posts: 483
    edited December 1969

Hi...

I'm guessing that the looped topology at the knees is to get a smoother mesh when the knees are bent?

I'm also curious as to the rather dense group of polys at the crotch... that looks as though it could cause some problems...

High smoothing settings usually tell me that I need to fix the mesh or adjust the weights...

I think your mesh looks good enough to use Studios SubD to get a smoother mesh at the knees without needing the looped topology... also you could probably expand the smoothed weights across the legs further to smooth out the clipping between the left and right sides...

but a dress that tight around the lower legs is going to be difficult to get perfect...

nicci... :)

edited December 1969

Yeah I had figures with a dress this tight it would make more sense to model the skirt like a pair of pants to get it to conform to all the curves.

It's still taking a lot of tweaking but I'm slowly getting closer to something that works.

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,633
    edited December 1969

Oh good, I'm glad things are proceeding. That's an interesting idea modelingwise - next time I have to do a narrow skirt I'll have to try it! Usually my solution is to throw morphs at it.

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,598
    edited December 1969

Yeah I had figures with a dress this tight it would make more sense to model the skirt like a pair of pants to get it to conform to all the curves.

It's still taking a lot of tweaking but I'm slowly getting closer to something that works.

Just curious...how do you create the round bits near the crotch? Do you create two separate pieces and then join them?

Sorry if it's a stupid question...I can do basic stuff now but that's more than just basic.

edited December 1969

It was basically just a pair of pants I made out of cannibalizing a MakeHuman figure modified to make a skirt.

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,598
    edited December 1969

It was basically just a pair of pants I made out of cannibalizing a MakeHuman figure modified to make a skirt.
    Okay...
    edited December 1969

Well I ended up admitting defeat and just creating a morph to fix the poke through. The smoothing of the weight maps helps a bit though and I doubled the number of polygons horizontally across the front and back of the skirts.