Texture mappping

JimiaJimia Posts: 10
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

Hi, I seem to recall on a previous newsletter a product or tutorial for creating texture maps and material poses, i have looked around the site but cant find what i think i saw, is there such a product and where can i find it.

Comments

• wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
    edited December 1969

These are actually two very different subjects.

Are you talking about doing this for figures or just in general?

To make a material preset for DS4.5, you pull down FILE/SAVE AS/Material(s) Preset/

it's that simple. The resulting file can be distributed.

Texture Mapping is a whole other animal... what specifically are you looking for?

• JimiaJimia Posts: 10
    edited December 1969

I thought i saw on a newsletter a tutorial or something that showed how to create texture maps for clothes ect i must have been mistaken

edited December 1969

In DS 4.5 there is a quick and easy way to create clothing textures, and it's actually very, very good.

Load a tileable pattern as a texture map onto an article of clothing.

Scroll down in your materials, and set the horizontal and verticle tiles to 5 or 10 each, whichever looks best.

Then go to the shader baker and bake them.... you'll probably want to up the resolution to 1500+

This will create a nice cloth texture that you can play with.

I found this site which has a lot of tileable cloth:
    http://speckyboy.com/2010/07/28/50-tileable-and-seamless-pattern-sets-500-patterns/

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,598
    edited December 1969

If you are looking for a tutorial on how to use texture maps, Chohole has a good basic tutorial. IIRC it should be in the tutorial section at the start of the new users section. If not she might have it listed in her signature.

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Thanks Cho...I've recently lost all my bookmarks due to a hard drive problem : (
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

You may like this one as well then, it's where all SnoSultan's seam guide templtes are stored. http://www.snowsultan.com/seams/v4_seamguides.zip

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    You may like this one as well then, it's where all SnoSultan's seam guide templtes are stored. http://www.snowsultan.com/seams/v4_seamguides.zip

Thank you! : ) It's going to take a while to find everything again....I don't suppose you know where to find the unzipper that DAZ wanted everyone to use is located? I need to redownload it...

edited December 1969

No, I use Windows built in unzipper, works for me.

edited December 1969

Okay...I really like the one they had suggested we use.

edited December 1969

chohole said:

That is fantastic work!!! Have you considered using displacement around the edges of the transparency to simulate hems etc?

edited December 1969

I was trying to keep that one as simple as possible. I have used displacement in other texture sets, but you have to remember that I actually started making my own textures originally to use in my fave program, and unfortunatlely displacement is not too stable in Bryce.

Plus of course displacement is dealt with in a different way in Poser, compared to DS. I prep all my sets in Poser, and my son then makes the equivalent DS mat settings for me. I try to keep them as easy to swap from program to program as I can.

edited December 1969

that's interesting because displacement in DS is dealt with very, very simply. In fact, I don't think it could be more simple.

This is a test render of a displacement map for the MFD... I'm mainly interested in getting hems around the edges of the transmaps so they don't look so unfinished.

testdisp.jpg
    461 x 603 - 73K
    edited December 2012

In Poser displacment pure black is flat and white is highest. only goes in the one direction by default, to get 2 way displacement you have to add a negative math component in the material room. DS Mid grey is flat, black is down and white is up.

So the problem for me is that I have to do 2 different displacment maps, one for Poser and one for DS. Some will work as is in Ds, but will not look quite the same as they do in poser.

This is one of my displacemant tries, shown untextured, and a textured one with no displacement.

summery_dirndl_3_a.png
    600 x 600 - 292K
    sky_dirncl_disp_demo.png
    600 x 600 - 199K
    Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 1969

okay, I get it... interesting. Frankly, I love having negative displacement by default! That's very, very interesting. Nice work, by the way.

edited December 1969

It is handy I agree, especially when doing something like the one I showed above, which was a dirndl, so needed the gathers at the waist to be authentic. However it's not too much bother to add a negative math function between the nodes.

edited December 1969

Okay, so if I"m understanding correctly, creating that negative math is fairly simple and can easily make DS D-maps act the same in Poser? Just want to understand.... because I'm doing a lot of experimentation, I do not have Poser, and likely will not get it any time soon... (as much as I lust after Firefly...)

edited December 2012

yup, you just insert a node before you connect the displ texture map to the displacement channel

The one I showed I hadn't bothered, it was a simple Poser displacement, so you can see that one worked well, straight out the box, so to speak.

Looked even better when I added embroidery to the waist line

celebration_dirndl.png
    600 x 600 - 282K
    Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 1969

That's pretty great... what I was going to do was play with your dress textures and see about making a D map or two to go with them....