What do I download? Too many confusing choices.

tsaristtsarist Posts: 1,614
edited December 1969 in The Commons

I'm no newbie.
I did my first big download of my Daz products since the new site launched.
What do I download?
I use Carrara 7Pro.
There are a million options now. Before I had to just download Poser or DS, PC or Mac.
I always use the Poser version because sometimes the Daz version doesn't appear in the Carrara browser.
Now I see Poser CF, Poser Core and several other things.
If I JUST want to be able to download the plain Poser version, exactly WHAT do I need?
Thanks

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,583
    edited December 1969

If an item has a Core, Legacy, and PoserCF version, then it's triax weight-mapped and won't work in C7

• wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
    edited December 1969

Yah download the one that sayeth: PLLEEEEZE TAKE ME HOME FOR CHRISTMAS!

I agree, downloads are a bit confusing... I think DAZ could do a bit better with those... Wish i could help you.

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,598
    edited December 1969

tsarist said:
    I'm no newbie.
    I did my first big download of my Daz products since the new site launched.
    What do I download?
    I use Carrara 7Pro.
    There are a million options now. Before I had to just download Poser or DS, PC or Mac.
    I always use the Poser version because sometimes the Daz version doesn't appear in the Carrara browser.
    Now I see Poser CF, Poser Core and several other things.
    If I JUST want to be able to download the plain Poser version, exactly WHAT do I need?
    Thanks
    Which version of Poser, Tsarist?

If it's prior to weightmapping the legacy files would be what you need...I think, I must admit I'm still coming to terms with it myself.

I saw a really good post on it just recently where it was clearly outlined which files you need for what...I'll see if I can find it for you.

• tsaristtsarist Posts: 1,614
    edited December 1969

Pendraia said:

If it's prior to weightmapping the legacy files would be what you need...I think, I must admit I'm still coming to terms with it myself.

I saw a really good post on it just recently where it was clearly outlined which files you need for what...I'll see if I can find it for you.

Thanks
    I just said Poser because that's the version of download I have always used in Carrara.
    The Daz version sometimes shows up in the Carrara browser, sometimes it doesn't. It's always been a crap shot, but the Poser version shows up.
    If you can find that post, I'd appreciate it.
    edited December 1969

tsarist said:
    Pendraia said:

Thanks
    I just said Poser because that's the version of download I have always used in Carrara.
    The Daz version sometimes shows up in the Carrara browser, sometimes it doesn't. It's always been a crap shot, but the Poser version shows up.
    If you can find that post, I'd appreciate it.Found it...it was a post from SickleYield unfortunately doesn't mention Carrara...I thought Carrara could use dson files though? I seem to remember it being mentioned when the Poser importer first came out....

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/13300/

• Satira CapriccioSatira Capriccio Posts: 523
    edited December 1969

Nor does it mention the Poser Core installers which started showing up a few weeks or so ago.

The Poser Core installers seem to be the Poser installers for products that were developed FOR Poser. (Rather than developed for DS and requiring to be wrung through the DSON Importer for use in Poser)

Poser Core may be what you would use. I've never tried installing the Legacy installers. It's my understanding Legacy content is still DS format, not Poser format.

The Eastern Riding Wear Poser Companion file is a dpc (Poser format) installer.
    13089_EasternRidingWearPoserCF_1.3_dpc.exe

The Shelter Poser Core file is a dpc (Poser format) installer
    15443_Shelter_v1.0_dpc.exe - Poser Core - PC

But, these Legacy files are trx (DS format) installers
    13345_MedievalMalePeasantClothingLegacy_1.2_trx.exe
    13089_EasternRidingWearLegacy_1.3_trx.exe

Would be nice to have DAZ explain this somewhere. So far, I've not seen any explanation from DAZ about the Poser Core installers, and it's been rather hit and miss finding any explanations about the download files. It would also be nice to have this explained on the download page so all customers could see it, not just forum readers.

Pendraia said:
    tsarist said:
    Pendraia said:

Thanks
    If you can find that post, I'd appreciate it.
    Found it...it was a post from SickleYield unfortunately doesn't mention Carrara...I thought Carrara could use dson files though? I seem to remember it being mentioned when the Poser importer first came out....

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/13300/

edited December 1969

I agree Satira Capriccio the information should be stickied somewhere.

I've only just noticed the Poser core ones myself. Didn't get chance to download the purchases this week until now.

As you're aware I use DS it has been suprising for me how many things I buy that are Poser Core only...I only hope that they have DS Material settings also. I haven't had time to check...must admit that some products I was very excited about I'm now less excited about as I might have to mess around with Material settings.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,583
    edited December 1969

Pendraia said:

I've only just noticed the Poser core ones myself. Didn't get chance to download the purchases this week until now.

As you're aware I use DS it has been suprising for me how many things I buy that are Poser Core only...I only hope that they have DS Material settings also. I haven't had time to check...must admit that some products I was very excited about I'm now less excited about as I might have to mess around with Material settings.

I would imagine if the Poser Core installers don't have the DS mats included, there would be a StudioCF with the DS mats.

edited December 1969

Pendraia said:

I would imagine if the Poser Core installers don't have the DS mats included, there would be a StudioCF with the DS mats.
    Okay...now I'm really confused what is a StudioCF?
    The product I'm thinking of had only the one type of download. Admittedly it's a set not a figure or an outfit but it would still be nice to have ds materials if not ds lights.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 2012

I am finding that if a product has only a Poser Core download, then everything is included in the one installer.

DS mats and lights etc as well as the poser ones.

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    I am finding that if a product has only a Poser Core download, then everything is included in the one installer.

DS mats and lights etc as well as the poser ones.

Thanks Cho...that is good to know.