grounds in Worldbase XT

nightkinnightkin Posts: 194
edited December 1969 in The Commons

I've just bought Worldbase XT and the trees n skies add on - and i can see it has great potential for the sort of outdoor scenes i want to make. However, i have problems with the ground - is there a tutorial for it? the info page is out of date - it says that the ground cant be tiled in DS because DS doesnt have a texture tiling option, but of course it now does have texture tiling.

the trouble is, when i slide the texture tiles to a usable number, the landscape is covered in pale blue pools around the tiles. I dont know what causes this (possibly an alpha mask?), but it does rather spoil an otherwise excelent tool.

if i dont tile the ground texture, it appears as a an out of focus stretched image that looks completely wrong - i'm not sure if there is a fault in the default setting, or whether this is a problem with my graphics card, but it looks nothing like the sample images.

i could of course simply cover the ground with a very large textured plane, but that rather defeats the object.

does anyone have any advice on this?

Comments

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

nightkin said:
    I've just bought Worldbase XT and the trees n skies add on - and i can see it has great potential for the sort of outdoor scenes i want to make. However, i have problems with the ground - is there a tutorial for it? the info page is out of date - it says that the ground cant be tiled in DS because DS doesnt have a texture tiling option, but of course it now does have texture tiling.

the trouble is, when i slide the texture tiles to a usable number, the landscape is covered in pale blue pools around the tiles. I dont know what causes this (possibly an alpha mask?), but it does rather spoil an otherwise excelent tool.

if i dont tile the ground texture, it appears as a an out of focus stretched image that looks completely wrong - i'm not sure if there is a fault in the default setting, or whether this is a problem with my graphics card, but it looks nothing like the sample images.

i could of course simply cover the ground with a very large textured plane, but that rather defeats the object.

does anyone have any advice on this?

Not sure which info page you're reading as the product page in documents says nothing of tiling:

http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/read_me/index/14880/start

I find that image rather helpful. Clicking on it will get a larger [readable] one.

There are several layers to the ground as I recall. May need to turn some off/on to get the desired terrain.

• nightkinnightkin Posts: 194
    edited December 1969

oh, Lushlands is a different product. the product i bought was this: http://www.daz3d.com/shop/worldbase-xtreme-kit
    I'm also having problems applying the sky mats that are with the Trees and skies add on.

edited December 1969

i think i may need to contact someone. it looks like the link for required products in the trees and skies module is wrong, and i have bought the wrong product. by the look of it i need Worldbase XT, but the link was to Worldbase Xtreme kit, which i think may be an obsolete product. this needs looking into.

• PennamePenname Posts: 343
    edited December 1969

I have the older Worldbase and the ground textures suck but there was a thread somewhere that gave a fix, and a fairly good one. It was something you wouldn't think of. (digging for notes) - ah, use "none" for opacity strength to get rid of the funny little circles, and I tile 200 to 500 for V and H. Go with as few as possible to avoid the repetition - a little trial and error. You might try a forum search for the more detailed stuff; I just scribbled down a few notes that worked for me.

• ledheadledhead Posts: 1,586
    edited December 1969

nightkin said:
    i think i may need to contact someone. it looks like the link for required products in the trees and skies module is wrong, and i have bought the wrong product. by the look of it i need Worldbase XT, but the link was to Worldbase Xtreme kit, which i think may be an obsolete product. this needs looking into.

I also purchased the new "Trees and Skies Pak for WorldBase XT" and the link does send you to the "Worldbase-Xtreme-Kit". I would have thought this would work with "The All New Worldbase XTLushlands" rather than an older version, but maybe not. It certainly does need looked into.

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 2012

I think you'll want to purchase the base product of Lushlands for this item while it's still on sale and put in refund requests for the older one.

The product description has:

TREES and SKIES PAK FOR WORLDSBASE-XT

Requires WorldBase-XT can be installed in either Poser or DAZ Studio.

Looks to be packaged the same as for the Desert and Snow Lands ... and in being a newer release than the Desert and Snow packs it would make sense.

Post edited by patience55 on
    edited December 1969

thats what i thought - the documentations link led me to buy the wrong product. this is definitely an issue.

edited December 1969

I filed a ticket, but DAZ have failed to do anything about this yet, and now it is too late to buy the correct item that i need at the bargain price. i am very dissatisfied with this "service". i am certainly not going to buy Lushlands at the full price, as i am not impressed by what i've seen so far.

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

If you explain what happened to DAZ 3D Support (Sales), I am sure they will sort it out for you.

They have been very good about that sort of thing in the past, Support are very busy at the moment, but if you explain what you wanted to buy, and why you couldn't get it at the time, I'm sure they will see your point.

edited December 2012

i did - they ignored me. as you say, they are probably busy right now, so i'll waity a few days before asking for my money back.

Post edited by nightkin on