is V5 compatible with the V4 skeleton?

bakkbakk Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in The Commons

I was going to purchase V5, but I'm thinking instead of purchasing V4. Is V5 that much better than V4 and will I be able to use the V4 skeleton in V5?
Anyone know?

Comments

• wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
    edited December 1969

No, the V4 skeleton has completely different joints than does V5. I do NOT know if Autofit will work on the V4 skeleton, I suspect not.

However, genesis is by far the superior figure. And by that, I mean that Genesis (V5, and all the others designed for Genesis) is so advanced, it is going to be around for a long LONG time. It very likely will eclipse Victoria 4's run. It has so many advantages over other figures out there, it will be very, very difficult to improve upon with another figure. Anything that Genesis does not have now (such as muscles, etc) it likely will have had before it becomes obsolete. When that happens, the technology will have advanced way beyond what we have now.

The benefits of Genesis are legion. It has just over 1/4 the polygons of V4, and ten thousand less than Victoria 1, yet it can be subdivided for smoothing to nearly 4 times what V4 has on the fly. As a lower poly mesh, it is far easier to create morphs, adapt rigging and weight mapping.

I'm just giving you the tip of the iceberg. Victoria 4's day is over. It is effectively obsolete, though people will continue to use her for quite a while, she simply cannot compete with Genesis and V5 when Genesis gets everything V4 has and adds too many benefits for me to rattle off off the top of my head.

• Eustace ScrubbEustace Scrubb Posts: 2,698
    edited December 1969

If the skeleton you're talking about is the anatomical skeleton (http://www.daz3d.com/shop/people/anatomy/v4-skeleton) then it ought to autoconform inside Genesis--I don't have it so I couldn't say for sure. If you're referring to the rigging skeleton, Wancow's right.

• DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 2,885
    edited December 1969

I don't have the V4 skeleton, but I was curious, so since I have the V3/M3 shapes and the V3/M3 Skeletons, I decided to give it a try.

The results were interesting. Viable, but interesting.

M3_Genesis_Skeleton_V5.jpg
    800 x 532 - 79K
    M3_Genesis_Skeleton_Anubis.jpg
    800 x 532 - 113K
    M3_Genesis_Skeleton.jpg
    800 x 532 - 106K
    edited December 1969

that is very interesting... In that case, I suspect the M3/V3 skeleton will work better since it'll be easier to fix the morphs... but that's based in the notion it has fewer polygons than does the V4 skeleton...

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,900
    edited December 2012

I think the mesh was the same - certainly the UVs were.

You probably want to give many parts an all-encompassing rigidity map, such as the ribs.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • bakkbakk Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the help, but I'm pretty new at this so I need a little clarity...
    You're saying I should purchase V5 and purchase the V3 skeleton? There's a better chance of V3 skeleton working with V5?

edited December 1969

If you have the V3 iconic shape for Genesis you may get a slightly better conversion using AutoFit from the V3 skeleton than the V4, but I wouldn't think it was worth buying the shape just for that if you don't already have it. V3's zero pose was closer to Genesis' than V4's is, meaning that there's a little less distortion - especially around the feet - in converted V3 items than in converted V4 items.

edited December 1969

In my renders above, I used the M3 skeleton Auto-Fit to Genesis as a bodysuit. Picture 1 is base Genesis, Picture 2 is with the Anubis Morph at full, Picture 3 is with V5 at full.

• bakkbakk Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

So V3 skeleton with V5 body is porbably the best option?
    I think that's what you're inferring.
    Thanks so much for all you help!

edited December 1969

As noted above, you do need the relevant iconic shape for Genesis to be able to Auto_fit items for that figure - unlike the fourth generation figures, the needed clone shapes are not provided by default. If you do have the shape then yes, the third generation originals do seem to convert better than fourth, where they are available.

edited December 1969

Excellent info in this post, thanks guys! I would have guessed, and I already did, that trying to autofit the skeleton at all would have been a bad idea... nice work!

edited December 1969

As a rule, if I have a choice of a Victoria item or a Michael item that are otherwise the same, I use the Michael item when converting to Genesis, since it doesn't have to flatten out the chest. With the skeletons, I don't know if that would make a difference.