Stereoscopic Gif rendering (AKA: Wiggle Stereoscopy) (Wiggling Picture Warning)

ghastlycomicghastlycomic Posts: 2,531
edited December 2012 in New Users

I've been experimenting with stereoscopic .gif rendering which produces an illusion of 3 dimensions on a 2 dimensional screen. It's not too hard and I seem to have discovered a technique that works pretty well.

First compose you image with the focal point in the centre of the screen. Then set your camera's Point At to the centre of the centre object.
Render the image then pan the camera a few degrees to the right or left and render the image again. Then use whatever animated gif software you use to make a looped animated gif using the two images as the two frames with a frame rate of .1 seconds each. Too fast and the image will just be a blur, too slow and the optical illusion won`t work.

If the over all scenery is what you want as your focal point then don`t pan the camera too much. This will make the over all image appear in 3D without too much image shake but the centre object of the image will appear flat.

If the centre object is your focal point then pan the camera more. This will make the centre object appear more 3D but the scenery will have more image shake.

Anybody else have any techniques or tips on this subject they'd like to share?

clango3.gif
640 x 480 - 145K
clango2.gif
640 x 480 - 143K
Post edited by ghastlycomic on

Comments

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,633
    edited December 1969

Nothing to add, but thanks for sharing the technique! It'll be fun to try. :-)

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

um, "too fast" and you could also be causing seizures. 3 per second as I recall was the fastest safe speed.

a caution added to the title of this thread would be a good idea so those who are so affected know to pass by.

• ghastlycomicghastlycomic Posts: 2,531
    edited December 2012

um, "too fast" and you could also be causing seizures. 3 per second as I recall was the fastest safe speed.

a caution added to the title of this thread would be a good idea so those who are so affected know to pass by.

Every tutoral I've seen on it says .1 seconds for the frame rate. 3 per second wouldn't work. Unless you're talking about using 3 to 5 images per rotation instead of just a left or right which is different from the frame rate.

Post edited by ghastlycomic on
  • patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

Every tutoral I've seen on it says .1 seconds for the frame rate. 3 per second wouldn't work. Unless you're talking about using 3 to 5 images per rotation instead of just a left or right which is different from the frame rate.

That might be ... and if something was in action like a movie, fine ... but if the .gif that is zigzagging like nuts would cause problems for people who suffer epileptic seizures -- they tend to like warnings on pages so they know not to take look and end up on the floor, that's all, okay. And thank you.