Valle Alpina - Infected?

edited December 1969 in The Commons

Howie Farke's Valle Alpina is impossible to resist, but when I was downloading it my Anti-virus program threw up an alert. I have heard of false positives before & I hope that is what this is.

I always download to a seperate folder, then install later. But when I checked the Virus Vault I found the following had been quarantined-
C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\Content Management Service\ ContentManagementServer.exe

Has anyone else had any kind of problem while downloading this file?

Thanks for any help!

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,583
    edited December 1969

Antivirus programs have become rather trigger-happy. If they see an executable that they don't recognize they flag it. Since this is a pretty small market it's very likely that the installers will be seen as unknown. Norton products say it's infected with "WS1.Reputation", which just means not many Norton user have downloaded it.

What AV are you using?

• edited December 1969

it can't be a "trigger happy anti-virus" reaction... there is are FILE FOLDERS at that location on Shawn's machine! I also got Howie's set, much earlier in the day, and just checked the file itself for viruses (I use the SAME anti-virus program that Shawn does!) and it was fine, but I also GOT NO alert like that, NO FILES "CLEANED" NOR did I get any such oddball folders put into my own Program Files!!

SOMETHING came into Shawn's machine from your servers... I do believe that Shawn got the Frost brushes too, which I did not get, although Shawn got the alert and "cleaning" done during the download of the Howie Farkes new set....

again, how can our virus program (AVG) go off "Trigger happy" when there is an obvious exe being dropped into Shawn's program files location!?

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

How can you, blame this site when no other has had this happen to them. Did it ever occur to you, the virus road in from another site that he had already visited. And attached itself to the first downloaded executable or zip file?

• edited December 1969

I am sorry but when I know this person REALLY well, and know that this is the only site visited, and downloaded from, at the time in question, it seems to me that there is SOMETHING very distressing going on... if not at the DAZ download server, than something on one of the DAZ sites... I am NOT attacking DAZ but it seems to me to be important enough to look into....

AND HOW could another web site, give Shawn files NAMED for DAZ???

I will not get into a battle of words... in this day and age, where customer service is supposed to be THE most important... a kind and caring "wow, that is scary, and now we know to at least be more alert and look around".... something caring?

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I was not defending daz, it was just a thought of what might have happened. I'm not in this discussion in you longer.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,583
    edited December 1969

The Content Management Server is part of DS4 and Carrara 8.5. It's a database server, which means it communicates withthese programs via internal ports. That's the sort of behavior an overeager security program may find suspicious.