What is the Poser Core Installer For?

ledheadledhead Posts: 1,586
edited December 1969 in The Commons

I tossed the freebie Robot Arm in my cart and am only able to download a Poser Core installer. What gives? I would have thought the Poser Core installer would be for Poser only and the DSON Core installer is for both Poser and DS, unless there was a Poser Cope installer. I bet this question is just as confusing as the installer choices or non-choices are. Explain please, I thought I had it all down until this freebie purchase.

Comments

• Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

Actually, if you click on the link on your downloads page, the actual name of the file is "14911_FactoryRobot_1.0_dpc.exe" which is a file that can be used in DS, Poser and Carrara. It's not a Genesis/DS 4.5 only file.

If it was a product for Genesis and was only for DS 4.5 there would be a DSON core installer for DS 4.5 and a PoserCF file for using the DSON core installer in Poser 9 or higher. If it could be used in DS 4.0, it would also have a Legacy file for use in that version of DS.

Hope that helps.

• ledheadledhead Posts: 1,586
    edited December 1969

That does not explain my question. I have purchased items that have both DSON Core and Poser Core downloads for the same item. When that is the case I am assuming the DSON Core is for DS and the Poser Core is for Poser. Why would this item just have a Poser Core. Why can't someone from DAZ explain all of this crap somewhere. I understand what the Legacy and the Poser Companion files are for. I just don't understand why everything was becoming DSON Core, but now are becoming Poser Core. Does that have something to do with the Triax weight mapping or what? All I am asking for is an explanation. I shouldn't have to ask. It should be posted in the store or on the download page somewhere and not buried in the forums as everything seems to be.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 2012

The Poser Core installers I have downloaded have everything in the one installer, so one download fits all, and they are for items that don't need the DSON importer to work in either Poser or DS.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

Ledhead said:
    That does not explain my question. I have purchased items that have both DSON Core and Poser Core downloads for the same item. When that is the case I am assuming the DSON Core is for DS and the Poser Core is for Poser. Why would this item just have a Poser Core. Why can't someone from DAZ explain all of this crap somewhere. I understand what the Legacy and the Poser Companion files are for. I just don't understand why everything was becoming DSON Core, but now are becoming Poser Core. Does that have something to do with the Triax weight mapping or what? All I am asking for is an explanation. I shouldn't have to ask. It should be posted in the store or on the download page somewhere and not buried in the forums as everything seems to be.

Files with DPC in the filename have been around for years. It stands for DAZ Poser Content, and it will work in any version of Poser (unlike Genesis). Files like that often had a file with DS in the filename as well, which contained the optimised DAZ Studio textures.

I can understand users having problem with DSON, but these files are simplicity itself. DAZ Studio could always read Poser files, and they were packaged that way, V4, M4 and many others for example. DSON is only needed for the new triax weight mapped rigging, and they usually had .TRX in the filename.

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,048
    edited December 1969

I'm not arguing, but I find it very confusing that stuff is labeled "Legacy", but it's TRX... .trx is new, and legacy at least in how I've encountered the term, tends to mean stuff that is useable with older devices... one accepted definition is actually: "Denoting software or hardware that has been superseded but is difficult to replace because of its wide use."... But since .trx is new to DAZ, I find that kind of confusing... unless I'm completely missing something here. After DS4, I kinda feel left in the dust because I don't use DS so much now, so it's hard to keep up with all the dos and don'ts.