Old Product Compatibility with DS4.5Pro

Mage 13X13Mage 13X13 Posts: 433
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

I recently lost a product that was installed in my earlier versions of DAZ Studio 4. It is the Multi Sword Pack, which is a collection of several different swords. In the versions I had of DAZ Studio 4 (4.0 through 4.0 Pro) this product worked fine. I am now using 4.5 Pro, and can only find one sword style from the pack. So I requested a reset of the product in my downloads. It has been .zip packaged due to the recent changes at DAZ 3D. I downloaded the PDF telling how to install DAZ .zip files and the zip. I followed the instructions to the letter installing everything to the proper folders indicated. When I opened DAZ Studio 4.5 Pro and navigated to the place where the product is supposed to be found, I only found the same single sword that was there before.None of the other ones were to be found. Yes I have read the readme and followed the path as indicated. I searched all other avenues of DS 4.5 Pro to no avail.
It seems that it may be possible that the old product is not compatible with the latest version of the application. It is my understanding that 4.5 has many major changes, which may affect what can and cannot work with it. Certain older products made before the series 4 versions may need to be updated to be useful in 4.5.
So here are some questions I have concerning this problem:
1. Am I correct about the incompatibility of some older product files with DAZ Studio 4.5 Pro?
2. Is there a way to get these products to work with the latest version?
3. Should I install the 32 bit 4.0 Pro version so that it can exist on the same computer with my 64 bit 4.5 version?
4. If installing the previous version is necessary, do I need to reset the download to get the latest serial code?
5. Has anybody else had this problem with 4.5?
6. If so what if anything can I learn from you?
I will leave this thread open for discussion in case others like me would like to find out what the deal is. Hopefully we can find a satisfactory solution to the problem. I'm sure everybody that uses DAZ Studio would like to continue to be able to use all the products they have acquired for the application no matter what the age of those products are. I know that is what I would like. So let us find a solution if that is possible.

Comments

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 2012

1. Am I correct about the incompatibility of some older product files with DAZ Studio 4.5 Pro?
    3. Should I install the 32 bit 4.0 Pro version so that it can exist on the same computer with my 64 bit 4.5 version?
    4. If installing the previous version is necessary, do I need to reset the download to get the latest serial code?

1. All previous products should work the same in DS4.5 as they did in DS4. Some older products that worked in DS3 have not been updated

2. Not unless the creator updates them.
    3. There is a lot of work to do to get the DS4 32 bit to run side by side with DS 4.5. They use a different file format (DUF for Genesis instead of DSF), so you would need two content folder for Genesis.
    4. I don't believe it should be necessary, but if you already had it installed, you should have the serial
    5. Not me, the DS4 content that you are describing should work OK
    6. ?

Can you give a link to the sword pack that you are referring to? It is most likley Poser content, and should work fine. Where did the readme tell you to install the content to? If it mentions a 'Content' folder, you should ignore that, My Library is the new name for the Content folder, and that is whre you should install content to.

Post edited by JimmyC_2009 on
  • adamr001adamr001 Posts: 1,322
    edited December 1969

There is only one cr2 in the multi-sword pack.

All the shaping (Everything else) is in the Pose Library named "ALT-MAT MultiSword".

• Mage 13X13Mage 13X13 Posts: 433
    edited December 1969

1. All previous products should work the same in DS4.5 as they did in DS4. Some older products that worked in DS3 have not been updated

2. Not unless the creator updates them.
    3. There is a lot of work to do to get the DS4 32 bit to run side by side with DS 4.5. They use a different file format (DUF for Genesis instead of DSF), so you would need two content folder for Genesis.
    4. I don't believe it should be necessary, but if you already had it installed, you should have the serial
    5. Not me, the DS4 content that you are describing should work OK
    6. ?

Can you give a link to the sword pack that you are referring to? It is most likley Poser content, and should work fine. Where did the readme tell you to install the content to? If it mentions a 'Content' folder, you should ignore that, My Library is the new name for the Content folder, and that is whre you should install content to.
    Sorry but I don't have the link to that product. I can find it in my purchase history, but as far as I can see the product is no longer offered at the store. At least I cannot find it. I can provide the file name however:
    IM00000877_multi-sword-pack
    And here is the PDF document that was provided in the downloads section at DAZ 3D:
    UsingZipFiles
    I believe this was made when DS3 was still offered.
    As for having two versions installed, this is why I know it works:
    I installed 4,0 Pro 32 bit back in the Spring of 2012. When I got 4.5 Pro and installed the 64 bit version, it did not replace the earlier version, and both of them worked fine on my machine. After completing the projects I was working on in 4.0, I ran the uninstaller for it. But now I might need to use it again to get things to work the way they did before.

edited December 1969

adamr001 said:

All the shaping (Everything else) is in the Pose Library named "ALT-MAT MultiSword".

Thank you for explaining this to me in simple terms. I will go look to see what I can find. If it is there, problem solved. I'll let you know one way or the other.:red:
    edited December 1969

adamr001 said:

Thank you for explaining this to me in simple terms. I will go look to see what I can find. If it is there, problem solved. I'll let you know one way or the other.:red:
    This solution worked! It is an unusual way to do a product, and that's why I had trouble finding it. Thank you for helping me with this. It is my hope that others can benefit from this.
  • adamr001adamr001 Posts: 1,322
    edited December 1969

Hey no problem. It's just a really, really OLD way of doing things ;)

edited December 1969

adamr001 said:

I see. Not sure why they would have done things that way, unless it was to save memory space.
    BTW I like your Avatar. That Kitty is Jammin'!:coolsmile:
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

adamr001 said:

I see. Not sure why they would have done things that way, unless it was to save memory space.
    BTW I like your Avatar. That Kitty is Jammin'!:coolsmile:

Nope...not to save memory.

It was the way Poser was set up and the way Poser files were to be packaged.