Trouble applying textures to OBJ models

MarshianMarshian Posts: 1,462

Hi All- I've searched for an answer in the forum w/out luck.
I'm having trouble applying textures to some OBJ files.

I tried to add a diffuse/texture map (jpg) to certain obj files and they just turn a solid color (rendered too). This has been happening with some models from ShareCG that (I think) have been created in ZBrush. I've not been able to figure out how to correct it with tiling settings in the surfaces tab. Bump and Displacement maps are not working either.

The objects seem to only display one pixel color at time (it flashes colors when tiling is adjusted). Reminds me of the color shifting horse in Wizard Of Oz which is pretty magical but not needed here.

Do you have an idea about how to correct this? Solving this would open up a lot more models to fun with.

Thanks!

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,912
    edited December 1969

Most likely the items are not UV mapped - the only fix would be to give them a UV map, that matched the textures you want to use, though if you are trying to apply something simple like a brick pattern you might be able to do it without UVs using the actual coordinates in space via Shader Mixer.

• MarshianMarshian Posts: 1,462
    edited December 1969

Most likely the items are not UV mapped - the only fix would be to give them a UV map, that matched the textures you want to use, though if you are trying to apply something simple like a brick pattern you might be able to do it without UVs using the actual coordinates in space via Shader Mixer.

Thank You Richard- Although I've heard of Bricks and the Shader Mixer the only experience I've had is with Shadow Catcher (So far).
    You've given me plenty to look into that will keep me moving ahead. I'll report any discoveries that would be a fix-all for most of these OBJ models.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

marshian said:

Thank You Richard- Although I've heard of Bricks and the Shader Mixer the only experience I've had is with Shadow Catcher (So far).
    You've given me plenty to look into that will keep me moving ahead. I'll report any discoveries that would be a fix-all for most of these OBJ models.

You mentioned some models from ShareCG, can you provide a link to one of the problem ones...I'll check it out and see if it is or isn't UV mapped.

edited December 1969

You can find one of them here: http://www.sharecg.com/v/43648/3D-Model/Sculptris-Monster
    And what I have done with it here: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/13631/

kewl!

edited December 2012

Yep, it's not UV mapped...

And, being a Sculptris creation, it is loaded with a ton of tiny tris and no clean edge loops to split the mesh along, so it will be a nightmare to UV map...which is probably why it isn't.

Post edited by mjc1016 on
    edited December 1969

I don't know what this means "tiny tris and no clean edge loops to split the mesh along" but now I can look it up to find out whether I want to convert other OBJs I have. So I'll leave this model one alone. I was able to apply pwSurface so that goes a long way. Thanks for looking into it.

edited December 2012

DS can use triangles, but prefers quadrilaterals. Sculptris uses tris (triangles).; And with the level of detail in that particular model, it is something to the tune of more than 400,000 of them...in other words about more than 20x Genesis.

An edge loop is a loop of connected edges forming a clean line around a section of the mesh. A clean loop is continuous. Triangles, generally, do not lend themselves to clean loops.

Without clean loops, creating a UV map becomes a real chore, because there isn't an easy, automated way to create the seams needed to split the model into easily manageable sections.

With a model like that...the best bet would be to send it to a program that can do 3D texture painting...and Sculptris is too limited in that area to do it, so it would need to go into Zbrush or something else, like 3DCoat...

Post edited by mjc1016 on