DSON help and where it goes?

Sorry about all this. When DSON came out, I got it even though I didn't have
Poser 9 or above. Last week, I ordered Poser 9 for my Christmas present and
expect it sometimes this week.
I went back and re-downloaded DSON because I got a message saying to do so.
First question, do you export something from Genesis to Poser? Or is the DSON stuff
already there in Poser? Since it is called a "importer" I thought maybe that is what you do.
Now I have three files for DSON. I have a DSON Importer for Poser Win 64.
Where do I install this? Does it go into Poser or Genesis?
Then, I have DSON Genesis Starter Essentials Poser Companion. Where does this
go? And I have a DSON Starter Essentials DSON Core. Where do I install this?

Last two questions hopefully. I bought some stuff. And it comes in two different files?
One is called (just for example) Dress for Genesis Poser Companion.
The other one is called Dress for Genesis DSON Core.
Where do I put this two files? The file for DSON core is quite large. I know one of these files
has to go into Genesis. I am not sure where in Genesis.
Sorry for the dumb questions. I searched for help on the topic but couldn't find anything.
Thanks and Happy Holidays.
Bill

Comments

• niccipbniccipb Posts: 483
    edited December 1969

Hi...

Have you read the User guide on how to install the importer and content?

You can find it here > http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dson_importer/poser/userguide/start

Make sure you install Poser 9 first, and make sure you have at least Service Release 3... if not, the go to the Smith Micro site and download the latest SR pack and install before installing the DSON importer...

You need to download and install both the Poser Companion and DSON core files of the Genesis Starter Essentials...

The DSON core files are the actual product files, and the Poser Companion files are the scripts that the importer uses to make them available in Posers content library so that you can load them... this is the same for all Genesis based products that you get from the Daz store...

If you run into any problems with your install, just ask...

Hope this helps... :)

• edited December 1969

After reading the tutorial I'm still a bit lost.
    At the moment I'm using 2 runtimes, one for Poser and one for DS with following paths:
    c:\runtimes\poser and c:\runtimes\daz
    Should I put everything in the Poser runtime or should I put the daz files in the Daz runtime and the Poser companion files in the Poser runtime ?

Many thanks,

Andro

• edited December 1969

I read the tutorial and I will have to wait until I get Poser 9 to try it out.
    But I still don't know how to install my bought content into Genesis. I have two files
    from the item I bought (poser companion and dson core) The tutorial doesn't say
    where to install content that you purchased. (at least, I couldn't find it)

edited December 1969

Hi...

You can install the content to any directory that you choose as long as it is a writable directory, not the Programs directory in Vista, Win 7 or 8...sorry I don't know Mac...

Just remember to install both the Poser Companion and DSON core files to the same directory, and then make sure that you point the Poser Content Library to that directory... you may also need to go to the Scripts Menu in Poser, to the DSON scripts and make sure that the directory that you choose is marked as writable...

If you already have a DAZ content directory you can install them there or to your existing Poser content directory... some users prefer to create a new directory for their Genesis content....

Hope this helps... :)

• edited December 1969

Since I don't have Poser 9 yet, I tried installing the two files to Daz Studio. Don't understand why I would
    need the Poser companion in Daz Studio. When I installed the Dson Core file to Daz Studio, it shows up
    in "Windows Explorer" that it is there in Studio, but when I open Studio up, it is not showing up.
    When I tried installing the Poser companion file, it did not ask me where I wanted the file. It
    said something about Daz Studio Installed content file. Anyway, I have it installed, but it is not showing up
    when I open Daz Studio. That is one problem that I have with Daz Studio, it is always a guessing game where
    to install something.

edited December 1969

Hi...

What version of Studio are you using? The DSON Core Genesis Starter Essentials that comes with the DSON Importer is version 1.6 which is the same as the current version for Studio 4.5.1.6 and does not work with DS 4.0

Where are you looking for your content in Studio? In the Smart Content or the Content Library?

The Smart Content needs to have the CMS running in order to work...

I assume you have your DS content directory set in Preferences?

The Poser Companion Files go in the same content directory because the paths in the Companion Files point towards the /data folder for the DSON files....

When you do install P9, then you do not need to re-install the content, just point P9 to you Daz content directory...

nicci... :)

• edited December 1969

There is the problem. I have an earlier version of Daz Studio. It is like 4.1 or something close
    to that. I went to my account page and reset the download, but right now, I get a page not
    found when I try to download the updated version. Will try later.
    Not sure what CMS is.
    Should I put the files in the Smart content or the other one?
    I guess I will have to un-install my DSON content when I get the other one
    done.
    Thanks for the info.
    Bill

edited December 1969

Hi...

There's no need to uninstall your content... unless you want to... but if you want to be able to use your current DS 4, you will need to reinstall it to get the correct content files back...

The CMS is the Content Management Service that DS uses for Smart Content and some of the content creation functions...

The Smart Content tab and the Content Library tab are just different ways to view and load your content... Smart Content will show content that is related to what ever item you have selected based on the metadata that installs with the content... but not all content has metadata... mostly older content...

The Content Library will show all of your installed content from the directories that you have DS set to... it lists everything in a folder tree view... for both DS content and Poser content...

You don't install to one or the other, just to your content directory of choice...

If your reset from your order history is not updating your downloads to 4.5, then you could always just re-"Buy" it from the store... and use your existing serial number...

When you do go to update Studio, you should stop the CMS service and uninstall it first, this will insure that the latest version of the CMS is installed with Studio... to stop the CMS on Windows, click Start > All Programs > Daz 3D > Daz Content Management Service > Stop Content Management Service... then it's the same path to the uninstaller...

nicci... :)

• edited December 1969

Thanks again, everything worked fine except for one thing.
    I am installing Julie and Justin.
    There are two files for Julie one is a trx file or something like that. It must
    have worked because she shows up. However, when I try to install the Poser CF file,
    there is no "content path" listed in the installer. Even if you put "custom install."
    All of the other PoserCF files that I have installed have shown a "content path" in
    the installer. I don't know if this is a problem or not since I don't have Poser 9 yet.
    Thanks,
    Bill

• Dead ScottDead Scott Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

OK I am still lost on all of this stuff, Is there a complete retards step by step guide to installing all of this stuff? I have been working with poser for about 10 years now and purchasing from Daz for just as long. I have never felt this lost trying to get stuff installed or to work.. I am currently running poser 9 with all of the current updates including the Service packages and the update that was released this month. In Poser i try to load Victoria 5 and get an error saying, "the DSON Importer requires a writable runtime folder that is outside of Program files. Add a writable runtime folder to the library and try again" how do I do this? did I screw something up? So utterly confused.