Teens5 skin mapping issues

kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,984

...OK it is happening again, this time I have no idea why.

In working the Teens5, I once again had the skin mapping become corrupted up after I saved the figure I was working on, shut down and later reopened the file to do some more work on it. This is similar to what I was experiencing with the Tindra Thompson Map and Steph4 back in ver. 4.0.

...however one small difference...

...this time I am using a character map which is made specifically for the Teens5 figure (Deborah). Thinking it an OpenGL issue, I did a test render in which I noticed the skin tones didn't look quite correct, and seams were visible on the lower thighs shins and ankles.

I switched to the surfaces tab and looking at he UV Set selection, there is nothing listed. Clicking on it brings up a menu with several figure names including "Genesis Female". I selected that, then reloaded the texture again but nothing changed except that the UV set indicator went blank again. The same occurs when I tried loading the base Julie texture as well.

When attempted to use the "Load UV Set" selection in the options menu, the directory that opened was Programme Files/Daz3D/DazStudio4 folder which only contains settings and data for the application itself, I have no idea where to look for the Teen5 UV sets.

Post edited by kyoto kid on

Comments

• niccipbniccipb Posts: 483
    edited December 1969

Hi...

It does sound as though the UV's are not loaded correctly...

The Teens5 don't have their own UV sets, Justin and Julie use V4's UV's.... the Deborah character uses Multiple UV's, the body surfaces use V4's and the eye sections use Genesis Female...

As for the UV box being empty, it shows empty if you have all of the surfaces selected... if you select a single surface it should show the UV's...

If not, then that may be the cause of the problem... the UV's path is My Library / data / Daz 3D / Genesis / base / UV Sets / Daz 3D / Base and GenePool

You could try resetting the UV's in the gear cog or reloading the material set...

Hope this helps... :)

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,984
    edited December 2012

...thank you for the path. I'll have to try that when I get home.

The troubling thing is everything loaded fine when I first set the character up. It was after I saved the file, quit the application, then the next morning opened the application and the file that this occurred. At first I saw this in the full scene which made me feel it was an OpenGL issue (as my system barely meets the minimum requirement and that interpreting the additional scene elements might have required more in GPU resources than my chipset could provide). However I always keep a backup of just the character with no other props or scene elements in the default load pose and that one also had the UVs go bad as well (which is why I cannot post a screen shot). Basically it appears it is applying the full texture file to the figure without any mapping at all (basically taking what you would see if you opened the texture file in say PSP or Gimp and wrapping the figure up in that).

As I mentioned, I tried reapplying the not only the Deborah, but the basic Julie texture and neither loaded correctly. Odd that they would use Gen4 maps for a Genesis character rather than develop a new one off the Genesis figure itself.

Furthermore, as Rendering is not a function of the GPU (if that were the culprit) I should not have seen the seams on the legs and feet. and nuances like blush and freckles not appearing in the final render.

I've also had the texture map change when fitting Aiko3 clothes to any Genesis (GenX) based character with the Transfer Tool (basically it appears to replace the texture applied with what looks like the Aiko3 default) which makes no sense as it has nothing to do with the UV mapping on the character, just the clothing meshes.

The bottom line is I don't understand why, if the character is saved, that the map assignments would be lost just because I closed the application afterwards. Isn't that the whole point of saving your work before quitting?

edited December 1969

Hi...

That is very odd indeed... and I would agree that it is not an OGL issue, but that the UV's are either not loading at all or are totally messed up on loading...

What version of 4.5 are you using? I seem to recall one version having UV issues of some sort....

nicci... :)

edited December 1969

...ver .114.

edited December 1969

Hi...

Ok, found in Change logs...

Fixed #47638 : Fixed the writing of UV set references to file : Incremented build number to 4.5.0.118

Fixed the loading of alternate uv sets : Incremented build number to 4.5.0.120

Fixed #47421 : Fixed UV set load on very old scenes : Incremented build number to 4.5.0.123

Release Version 4.5.1.6

These UV bugs may be the cause of your issues in .114

edited December 2012

..so I guess I ned to move up to 1.6 then. Was reluctant because at the time it still was a beta and after my experiences with 3Advanced, I swore off messing with any more beta releases again.

...so next question, if I reset my DL, will it be 1.6 or will it be the latest beta that I get?

edited December 1969

Hi...

If you reset your DS4Pro it should be 4.5.1.6

The current Beta version is listed as Beta in the Order History....

edited December 1969

...OK resetting now. Guess I have no choice anyway (now that the Workstation is alive and breathing) because I only DL'd the 32 bit version of .114

Thanks.

...zoiks, forgot how many files this involves.

edited December 2012

...OK downloaded and installed ver. 1.6 as well as updating the Genesis Essentials (just to play it safe).

Today when I reopened a file that I worked on last night, the skin mapping issue returned (this time with the Julie texture) This is beginning go beyond just annoying as it is impossible to work on facial expressions or details when the maps don't apply properly

When I check the UV set it indicates "Victoria 4". Why the heck is a Gen4 UV map being used for what is effectively a Gen5 (weight mapped) character? The mesh structure between the two generations is different, Gen 4 also depends on JCMs and falloff zones to be provided for in the mesh structure, Genesis being weight mapped doesn't. The only way to successfully transfer character maps between from one to the other is to have the "Legacy" body shape and Gen X (which I also have, so even more so, I don't understand why this keeps happening).

I feel I wasted the 55$ on the Teen5 bundle which I waited months for and, which other than for this mapping rubbish, works so well for the characters in my story.

It makes me wonder what is the purpose in bothering to save a character set or scene if the surface maps keep getting corrupted like this every time I close the programme after saving. Really impacts the workflow (as well as the enthusiasm) when the only other option I feel that I have is to rebuild the character from scratch each time because I only have one shot to work with it.

I don't have this issue with V5, S5, Princess, Satsuki, or any of the Genesis Toon characters.

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,900
    edited December 2012

Is there any errors in the log file during the scene load or save?

Post edited by Mattymanx on
    edited December 2012

...didn't check that. Not sure where the logfile is saved for 4.5.

However, after I briefly mentioned this on another thread, someone gave me a few suggestions to try and they worked. Switched the UV Map to "Genesis Female" (which is the correct one for the Julie texture) then locked and saved it. Shut down the programme then restarted it and opened the file and everything is now fine.

Now I just have to figure out how to get the teeth to show using the Andrea IBL lights.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 2012

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...didn't check that. Not sure where the logfile is saved for 4.5.

However, after I briefly mentioned this on another thread, someone gave me a few suggestions to try and they worked. Switched the UV Map to "Genesis Female" (which is the correct one for the Julie texture) then locked and saved it. Shut down the programme then restarted it and opened the file and everything is now fine.

Now I just have to figure out how to get the teeth to show using the Andrea IBL lights.

Your Welcome KK. I just never saw this thread before I saw your post in that other place. I have no idea about the teeth. I hope, you solve that soon.
    Post edited by Jaderail on
    edited December 2012

...running a few test renders now.

Again, thank you for the help.