Oblique Cameras in Daz Studio?

TheNathanParableTheNathanParable Posts: 997
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Does anybody know how to get an Oblique Projection render out of Daz Studio?

Ya see, I want to experiment with rendering 3D backgrounds for RPG Maker. However, top down RPGs such as the ones RPG Maker produces use Oblique Projection. A default Daz Studio camera on the other hand, is only capable of Isometric projection (when perspective is turned off).

Here's a diagram to show what I mean. I'm trying to get the same effect as the bottom right hand corner.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Graphical_projection_comparison.png

Comments

• TheNathanParableTheNathanParable Posts: 997
    edited December 1969

I guess that's a no then?

• M F MM F M Posts: 1,388
    edited December 1969

The 3Delight rendering engine behind DS is built according to the RenderMan spec (ref here: http://renderman.pixar.com/products/rispec/rispec_pdf/RISpec3_2.pdf ), and _that_ esteemed document calls up only two types of Camera - Perspective or Orthographic, the latter taking no parameters. Therefore, I would _guess_ that unless you start doing seriously fancy things with transform matrices and so on, the short answer is no, it was never built to support that sort of non-real-life perspective.

I may be completely wrong, of course... v(^_^)v.

• SupercopeSupercope Posts: 128
    edited December 1969

It's possible that you might get more responses in the DAZ Studio Discussion forum. If you are so inclined, just ask an admin to move this topic out of Commons and over there.

• TheNathanParableTheNathanParable Posts: 997
    edited December 1969

I've solved it! It's faked though.

All you need to do is group the whole scene together, and scale bothe the z-axis and y-axis by 150% (an extra half to compensate for the squishing)

I then import a grid as the backdrop to help me scale and position things correctly.

There might be a better way of doing it, but it's a start.

RMVXSchoolRoomTest.jpg
    640 x 640 - 138K
  • DisparateDreamerDisparateDreamer Posts: 2,504
    edited December 1969

All you need to do is group the whole scene together, and scale bothe the z-axis and y-axis by 150% (an extra half to compensate for the squishing)

I then import a grid as the backdrop to help me scale and position things correctly.

Oh wow that's fantastic! Bravo, i wouldn't have t hought of that solution!

I also have RPG maker.... never quite got to using it much though. Fun program though!!!!

• murgatroyd314murgatroyd314 Posts: 1,503
    edited December 1969

If I'm understanding the objective and procedure correctly, the ideal scaling factor ought to be right around 141.4%.

• Eustace ScrubbEustace Scrubb Posts: 2,698
    edited December 1969

You're saying 100 * sqrt(2), then? Maybe also give 173.2% (100 * sqrt(3)) a try.

• murgatroyd314murgatroyd314 Posts: 1,503
    edited December 1969

Now that I've had a bit more time to think about it:
    Assuming the objective is to make both vertical and horizontal plane figures appear as if they were viewed straight-on, and the camera is at an angle of θ above horizontal, here are your scaling factors:
    Z-scale = 100 * csc θ ( = 1/sin θ)
    Y-scale = 100 * sec θ ( = 1/cos θ)
    The obvious angle to use is 45º, which puts both Z- and Y-scales at 100 * sqrt(2).