Purchase Downloads Clarification

DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,328

Okay, since there's no real mention of it at the various product pages, One would think that if we have to suddenly start sorting through new suffixes in order to get the proper installers downloaded - without downloading the wrong ones and screwing everything up, shouldn't there be a brief explanation of what files need to be downloaded for what purpose on the downloads page?

Trying to find the topic in the forum, while you're in a hurry to do other stuff shouldn't be the answer, here.
(No reply necessary if you're just going to tell me which files to download - as 'I' already know. I just think that we should be more kind to those who don't - it's just too confusing)

Comments

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

If you want your voice and opinion to be heard then this is not the place for that as it will fall on deaf ears. The best way is to fill out a support ticket the you are assured Daz3D will read it.

• bryanfbryanf Posts: 23
    edited December 1969

This sounds familiar.... I downloaded daz so I could get some easily pose able figures to work with in zbrush.
    I found one character who works great, downloaded great, exports into Goz perfectly and I even find the daz experience cool....
    Yet the character is limited and so I thought I would upgrade to a genesis bundle for the main characters of Victoria and whatever his name is with all the cool morph possibilities.... Well some of the files uploaded perfectly and some gave me the warning that they needed to go into a specific file and wouldn't load even if I directed them to the specific path. So now my two characters look like brick people and all the tutorials on the subject of downloading content are vague.
    So basically I'm feeling ripped off by daz and thinking of poser as an alternative if the downloading actually works the way it should or provides some level of instruction.
    Does any one know how to down load purchased content or does it really only work for some and not others?

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

I just went through my downloadable products currently showing up.

I can see your confusion.

I have one product says simply "product name-exe-pc" or "product name-zip-mac this is an older file, and quite understandable.

Next product says "product name_dpc_exe" (or zip,as above) DPC I am told means Daz Poser Content and is again a fairly general purpose installer. It comes with a a secondary file which is "product name metadata-ds.exe" so again fairly self explanatory, you need this file for DS.

Then we have a product which has a lot of files. Legacy files which are for DS 4 or less. DSON Core files, which are for DS 4.5 and also for Poser users who are using the DSON importer and Poser Companion files or PCF, which are only needed for Poser Users who are using the DSON importer. THese files will come with Genesis based products.

Another product has both a Poser Core and a DSON core., As this is a Prop file, it does not need the poser companion files. ThePoser core will work on Poser and older DS versions and the DSON Core only in DS 4.5.

I also have Products which have only a Poser Core FIle. I am told that this is the equivalent of the older DPC files, and are general purpose across both DS and Poser.

Files with a .br Suffix are Bryce only files and files with a .gc suffix are general purpose files, usually brushes, background image files and such like.

I hope this helps a wee bit.

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

What items exactly are you having a problem with? Victoria is a female character, Generation 4, but there is also a Victoria 5 character which is a morph of Genesis, and therefore needs to be installed into the same plavce.

All Genesis morphs and characters need to be installed into the same folder as Genesis, the My Library folder. In ALL cases, content should be installed into the My Library folder, even for Poser Format items.

The default path for content on Win7 is

C:\Users\\Documents\DAZ 3D\Studio\My Library

and this is the path that should be given to the installer. You should NEVER use a sub-folder of My Library, such as My Library/Runtime, or My Library/Content. The Poser Format installers know to look for a folder called Runtime inside the My Library folder, and everything will be installed into the correct folders.

Does that help any?

• 0oseven0oseven Posts: 626
    edited December 1969

Jimmy C

As I said in the other thread about installing content here are images of my folder structure.Never had a problem with this so wondering how it fits with your advice given above.

As you see I have content on the windows 7 D: drive subdivided into many groups.

CH_ for characters SC_ for scenes and objects just to help sort things out a bit.

Interestingly these still work from a backup external disk copy if I set carrara to add the directories of this location.

Look forward to your comment

Installed_Content_Folders.JPG
    698 x 708 - 90K
    edited December 1969

I know very little of how Carrara sees folders. I was referring to DAZ Studio, and so was the poster I was answering, bry.

Sorry for any confusion.

• 0oseven0oseven Posts: 626
    edited January 2013

Well this is the Carrara Forum so i assumed you were talking about C - I have no interest in Studio. Do not use it and not likely i will.

But not to worry - you were only trying to help which i appreciate.

EDIT - actually I see it isn't Carrara Forum -sorry hadn't noticed I'd switched when clohole referred me here. :red:

Post edited by 0oseven on
    edited December 1969

I did the same thing, only the other way around. :red:

I don't believe that I ever did it in the old forum, it must be the new layout