Getting DAZ figures into Carrara

Hi. I have been away from the forums for a long time, and a lot has happened since the last time I was on. I am trying to find a way to get Daz Studio content into Carrara. Since Poser requires extra software and such to get V5 and M5 figures into it, I am kind of stuck if I want to use either. But I can't find any info on getting Daz Studio content into Carrara. Does anyone have any info if it is even possible? And does anyone have any info on how to do it, or a tutorial that might show me how? Thanks.

Rich

Comments

• bytescapesbytescapes Posts: 1,831
    edited December 2012

The current 8.1 release of Carrara will support adding and posing Gen 4 (i.e. Michael 4 and Victoria 4) characters directly. The procedure is documented in the draft Carrara manual. Search for "Using DAZ and Poser Content" in the manual.

Genesis figures, such as Michael 5 and Victoria 5, are supported only in Carrara 8.5, which is available as a public beta. The procedure for making your content visible to Carrara is the same as before; however, the Genesis support isn't 100% ready yet (that's why it's a beta), so you may encounter some glitches. Some file types that are used by DAZ Studio 4.5 are also not yet readable in Carrara. This means that when you open up some of your content directories, they may be mysteriously empty.

My experience has been that Carrara works very well with the Gen 4 figures: it's very easy to add them, pose them and render them. On the Mac, I've found the latest 8.5 betas to be a bit more stable than the official 8.1.1 release. Support for the Genesis figures is a mixed bag: promising and quite far advanced, but not all there yet.

Post edited by bytescapes on
  • edited December 1969

Thanks for the reply. I know how to bring the Gen 4 stuff into Carrara, I do it quite often. Thanks for the info and links. I will give the beta a try. I don't suppose anyone knows if they are going to release 8.5 as a free upgrade or if we will have to buy it as a complete new version when it comes out of Beta?

angusm said:
    The current 8.1 release of Carrara will support adding and posing Gen 4 (i.e. Michael 4 and Victoria 4) characters directly. The procedure is documented in the draft Carrara manual. Search for "Using DAZ and Poser Content" in the manual.

Genesis figures, such as Michael 5 and Victoria 5, are supported only in Carrara 8.5, which is available as a public beta. The procedure for making your content visible to Carrara is the same as before; however, the Genesis support isn't 100% ready yet (that's why it's a beta), so you may encounter some glitches. Some file types that are used by DAZ Studio 4.5 are also not yet readable in Carrara. This means that when you open up some of your content directories, they may be mysteriously empty.

My experience has been that Carrara works very well with the Gen 4 figures: it's very easy to add them, pose them and render them. On the Mac, I've found the latest 8.5 betas to be a bit more stable than the official 8.1.1 release. Support for the Genesis figures is a mixed bag: promising and quite far advanced, but not all there yet.

• bytescapesbytescapes Posts: 1,831
    edited December 1969

I don't suppose anyone knows if they are going to release 8.5 as a free upgrade or if we will have to buy it as a complete new version when it comes out of Beta?

The last word that I heard on the subject is that it will be a paid upgrade from 8.1, but that the cost of the upgrade will be relatively small.

I have no idea what "relatively small" (and that may not have been the exact phrase they used) means in this case, but the implication was that it would be significantly less than the cost of a full major version upgrade. At this point, it's possible that even DAZ don't know what the final upgrade cost will be.

• edited December 1969

Thanks for the info. It figures. They want us to use DS but they want us to pay for the ability to use its content in Carrara. Well, living on Disability and with the Mrs. out of work, it's going to be a long time until I can afford to upgrade anything. Food and bills have to come first.

Does anyone have a direct link to the 8.5 beta download? I can't find it.

Rich

angusm said:
    I don't suppose anyone knows if they are going to release 8.5 as a free upgrade or if we will have to buy it as a complete new version when it comes out of Beta?

The last word that I heard on the subject is that it will be a paid upgrade from 8.1, but that the cost of the upgrade will be relatively small.

I have no idea what "relatively small" (and that may not have been the exact phrase they used) means in this case, but the implication was that it would be significantly less than the cost of a full major version upgrade. At this point, it's possible that even DAZ don't know what the final upgrade cost will be.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,582
    edited December 1969

If you reset 8.1 you'll get downloads for both 8.1 and the 8.5 beta.