Smart Content has VANISHED! Is GONE! (help...)

2»

Comments

• wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
    edited December 2012

OOOPs, I was wrong... okay, first, I have no option on Windows Explorer for tools... I've checked everything on it.

So I had to go back to the help menu.

All I typed in Windows Help was "Hidden"

the fourth option down was "Change Folder Options"

on the dialog, the second tab is "View"

and under "Hidden Files and Folders" enable show hidden files and folders.

Suddenly, I have a C:Program Data folder, and there it was...

everything else worked after I re-imported metadata... it all be dere!

Post edited by wancow on
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 2012

Mercedesk said:
    Un oh... something tells me I have major messed up. I just deleted all contents of the database and it added up to 12.5 GB

Go to the Recycle bin and restore that...the database should not be 12.5 GB...especially if the CMS never worked right. A few up to a hundred MB...yeah, multiple GB...no way (unless you somehow got the entire store's database...but even that shouldn't be THAT big).

Also, find the ContentManagementServer.ini file (it should be in the same folder as the exe). Open it in Notepad and look at the line "Port". There should be two of them, one with a ";" in front of it. Swap which one has the semi-colon in front of it...save the file and try to manually start the CMS.

In the same folder as the exe, there will be another folder called vlogs. Find the most recent log file and post its contents, here.

Wancow...do you have Admin rights in your User Account or are you set up as a 'normal' user?

Also, do the same with the port switching, that I outlined above.

Post edited by mjc1016 on
  • MKeyesMKeyes Posts: 467
    edited December 1969

Well did all that, panicking included... but I either did something wrong -or- that wasn't the problem. Still no Smarth Content.

• MKeyesMKeyes Posts: 467
    edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    Mercedesk said:
    Un oh... something tells me I have major messed up. I just deleted all contents of the database and it added up to 12.5 GB

Go to the Recycle bin and restore that...the database should not be 12.5 GB...especially if the CMS never worked right. A few up to a hundred MB...yeah, multiple GB...no way (unless you somehow got the entire store's database...but even that shouldn't be THAT big).

Also, find the ContentManagementServer.ini file (it should be in the same folder as the exe). Open it in Notepad and look at the line "Port". There should be two of them, one with a ";" in front of it. Swap which one has the semi-colon in front of it...save the file and try to manually start the CMS.

In the same folder as the exe, there will be another folder called vlogs. Find the most recent log file and post its contents, here.

Wancow...do you have Admin rights in your User Account or are you set up as a 'normal' user?

It appears that all my content is still installed, so I don't know what I wiped out. In any case, I'll give this a try tomorrow. Hope this does it.

edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:

Admin. It's the only account on this machine.
    edited December 1969

wancow said:
    mjc1016 said:

Admin. It's the only account on this machine.

Then there shouldn't be a problem finding/unhiding the files. The only time I've run across that in Win Vista or later is in 'normal' user accounts...

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

Sorry about that folks had to eat at least once a day.

wancow for future reference I just checked on my wife's laptop with Windows 7 (this is the same for Vista but I had to make sure) and in Windows Explorer you should have on the top left the word Organize with a little arrow beside it. Click on the word and go to Layout and Check "Menu Bar"

Mercedesk This really sounds more like something else other than Daz Studio but this is not my strong point at helping others so I can't be sure of that fact. I had to learn a lot about computers when I started this and some it is still way over my head.

Menubar.jpg
    1000 x 755 - 424K
    edited December 1969

Thanks Szark! That worked.

BUUUUUT: I rebooted DS because I needed to reset something else... and after gone through all those steps, the CMS is not working anymore AGAIN... the Smart Content is gone... :(

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

Sorry to hear but I am at a lose to what is causing these issues....

edited December 1969

Fortunately it's not critical. I CAN live without the CMS, and probably will have to... Maybe if I upgrade computers later on I'll be able to use it again... about the time we see Generation 6... :)

Thanks Szark and everyone!

edited December 1969

wancow said:
    Thanks Szark! That worked.

BUUUUUT: I rebooted DS because I needed to reset something else... and after gone through all those steps, the CMS is not working anymore AGAIN... the Smart Content is gone... :(

Did you, by any chance, swap the ports in the ini file?

edited December 1969

Not that I'm aware of... though I may have inadvertently done something... all I did was delete the files I was told to delete :(

edited December 1969

wancow said:
    Not that I'm aware of... though I may have inadvertently done something... all I did was delete the files I was told to delete :(

The sometimes on nature of your problem sounds like something blocking the CMS from running...one of the obvious choices is an AV, but anything already using the default port that the server uses to listen on, will also stop it from running. The second port listed in the ini file is the alternate port to switch to, in case something is using the primary one.

• visiblemanvisibleman Posts: 178
    edited December 1969

I had the same problem so...

I right Clicked on the Content Data Base Folder and select Restore Previous Versions and it returned.

So, you could try that.