Finding if there is a later Update for content product installers

KLH22KLH22 Posts: 20

A big problem I seem to have is not knowing if I have the latest update of a product's installers. At the moment the only way I can find out if there is a later update to download for a product I have is to reset the download and see what's there.

Is there a registry of products and their latest update number so I can verify that I have the latest one without having to reset the product download ? This would save a lot of time (and download traffic)

Thank you for any help.

KLH

Post edited by KLH22 on

Comments

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

KLH22 said:
    A big problem I seem to have is not knowing if I have the latest update of a product's installers. At the moment the only way I can find out if there is a later update to download for a product I have is to reset the download and see what's there.

Is there a registry of products and their latest update number so I can verify that I have the latest one without having to reset the product download ? This would save a lot of time (and download traffic)

Thank you for any help.

KLH

Short answer...no, not yet...it's supposed to be a feature of the long promised download manager...but it's been most of a year.

There is one thing to remember, though, there will be a change in the file name (usually something like somecontent_somenumber_sometype.exe to somecontent_somenumber.1_sometype.exe), so just resetting the download and looking at the name should be enough, without having to download it again.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    so just resetting the download and looking at the name should be enough, without having to download it again.

Unless, as happens now and then, the downloads page link doesn't keep to that pattern, or doesn't say which is what, or is just plain wrong. Sometimes you have to download just to find out what the actual file name is.
    edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    so just resetting the download and looking at the name should be enough, without having to download it again.

Unless, as happens now and then, the downloads page link doesn't keep to that pattern, or doesn't say which is what, or is just plain wrong. Sometimes you have to download just to find out what the actual file name is.

Not so much lately...but yeah, at least start the download. And more often, than not, it is right. Out of all the stuff I've downloaded from DAZ over the past couple of months, I've only had one item that was like that, it used to be much more common...I know stuff I downloaded last winter/this past spring and even into the early summer, was often 'obscure' until the actual download started, at best.

One of the things I do with every browser I use...set it to ask where I want the download to go, instead of just downloading to the default folder. That way, there's a pause until you decide where to put the file. Also, a great time to cancel. Since I have certain folders I download to...like all the DAZ installers go to a DAZ folder, it will warn me of duplicated file names, so I can cancel the download.

• KLH22KLH22 Posts: 20
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the replies.

Right now I am doing exactly what mjc1016 has suggested.

It seems that having at least a list of products with latest update number would save daz a lot of down load traffic and their technical support would have less to deasl with. Also it would save their customers a lot of messing around.

KLH

edited December 1969

KLH22 said:
    Thanks for the replies.

Right now I am doing exactly what mjc1016 has suggested.

It seems that having at least a list of products with latest update number would save daz a lot of down load traffic and their technical support would have less to deasl with. Also it would save their customers a lot of messing around.

KLH

No disagreement there....but that's what happens when one department isn't ready for what another department does. The download manager should have been ready to roll, before they made the changes that necessitated its use...not sometime long after the fact. Just the bandwidth savings alone, over the past several months would have been worth waiting for...

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 2012

mjc1016 said:
    And more often, than not, it is right. Out of all the stuff I've downloaded from DAZ over the past couple of months, I've only had one item that was like that,

You must be lucky in choosing what you're buying, then. I've been getting ambivalent or just plain confusing download links a handul of times every month ever since the new store began. It's as if there are two or three different people taking the finished installers and setting up the new product downloads — none of them are working from exactly the same instructions, and one of them sometimes forgets exactly how to set up a download link.
    Post edited by SpottedKitty on
    edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    And more often, than not, it is right. Out of all the stuff I've downloaded from DAZ over the past couple of months, I've only had one item that was like that,

You must be lucky in choosing what you're buying, then. I've been getting ambivalent or just plain confusing download links a handul of times every month ever since the new store began. It's as if there are two or three different people taking the finished installers and setting up the new product downloads — none of them are working from exactly the same instructions, and one of them sometimes forgets exactly how to set up a download link.

Or maybe you are just buying the stuff set up by the janitor's kid...you know the one who is still in high school and needs a job, to make the payments on the SUV he totalled, three months ago... :cheese:

I guess it's hit or miss, then.