Question about renders and PC cores

CelexaCelexa Posts: 73
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

When rendering how many cores does DAZ use/support? If I wanted to use a server PC with six or sixteen cores would DAZ use all of them?

Does DAZ support distributed rendering out of the box or would I need to use the standalone 3Delight engine and some sort of plugin?

Comments

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Jean_V said:
    When rendering how many cores does DAZ use/support? If I wanted to use a server PC with six or sixteen cores would DAZ use all of them?

Does DAZ support distributed rendering out of the box or would I need to use the standalone 3Delight engine and some sort of plugin?

The 3Delight version included with DS is not core locked, so it will support as many cores (both real and 'logical') as you have on the machine it is running on. But this comes with a cost...network rendering is disabled. For that you will need the stand-alone 3Delight, but the free version of the stand-alone is locked to two cores, so you would need the paid version.

• CelexaCelexa Posts: 73
    edited December 2012

Windows 7 Pro supports dual physical CPU motherboards. (Not to be confused with single dual-core or multi-core processors.) Would I be correct in assuming DAZ would use both CPUs since they're both showing up in windows?

Thank you for the above answer.

Post edited by Celexa on
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Jean_V said:
    Windows 7 Pro supports dual physical CPU motherboards. (Not to be confused with single dual-core or multi-core processors.) Would I be correct in assuming DAZ would use both CPUs since they're both showing up in windows?

Thank you for the above answer.

Yes...

You could, if you wanted get a pair of these

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113039

Drop them into something like this...

http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=MB-S82GM4E

And have all 32 cores at your disposal.