daz 4.5 fbx export issue

LuddaenLuddaen Posts: 0
edited January 2013 in The Commons

I purchased Daz, I purchased the Temple Ruins.

I installed Temple Ruins as instructed, to the content of my library. I loaded all associated props into Daz, which results in exactly what I would expect... Temple Ruins in Daz. perfect 100%.

Now I export into FBX, and encounter a fairly serious issue.
Once it is in FBX format, regardless of the version used, or the settings applied on the exporter config, it becomes distorted. The props meshes are no longer in their correct positions, nor are their scales proper.
When I load them into a native 3d program of my choosing, it looks like gravity was removed, and the walls, concrete slabs, etc, are floating or translated to the side, or shoved beneath the scene Y-axis 0. The x and z orientation looks appropriate, but the scale, and as said, y-axis is wrong.

So, being a veteran debugger, I opened Daz fresh, and imported the very same FBX it exported. I got a warning message stating that the scale is not uniform, and the result was the same.
Clearly Daz is not exporting the FBX properly, or it would read it's own data export.
And I verified that the scale property of every single prop is at the default 100%. Nothing non-uniform about it whatsoever.

Is there anything I can do to resolve this? It would be incredibly useless if Daz could not be used to design the Temple Ruins, and export it as FBX. To have to import individually every single prop in my game application, and apply transformation to each prop to make it whole once again, is just beyond painful, and literally defeats the purpose of Daz.
So any suggestions are definitely appreciated.

Post edited by Luddaen on

Comments

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,730
    edited December 1969

Luddaen said:

Is there anything I can do to resolve this? It would be incredibly useless if Daz could not be used to design the Temple Ruins, and export it as FBX. To have to import individually every single prop in my game application, and apply transformation to each prop to make it whole once again, is just beyond painful, and literally defeats the purpose of Daz.
    So any suggestions are definitely appreciated.

Why not use the .obj format since there are no moving parts? I find the FBX format hit or miss when I have used it and I find it works better on rigged figures..

Actually game design/development is not the purpose of DAZ.

Assuming you have this already http://www.daz3d.com/indie-game-developer-license

• LuddaenLuddaen Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Much appreciated. Indeed from what I've read on forums the FBX is definitely as you have aptly put it. Game design/dev isn't my intent for Daz, rather creating riggings and well formed structures from characters to temple ruins, and feeding them w/ animation to my XNA engine.

Unfortunately FBX and Collada are the only types that include animation data. So I suppose I will have to export Obj, use Maya or Blender to animate, and export FBX from there. Not exactly what I was hoping for, but what can I do.

Thanks

• LuddaenLuddaen Posts: 0
    edited January 2013

After testing Maya, and Blender, I have confirmed that I can load and configure the entirety of Temple Ruins and export to FBX without problem. Daz's FBX exporter is broken and needs to be fixed. I can even load an FBX into Daz, exported from Blender (which is a Python script plugin), export it from Daz and it becomes distorted as described. Blender -> FBX (working) -> Daz (valid import) -> FBX export (distorted mesh translation and scale)
    1+1 =2, last I checked.

Is there a forum location or particular way in which I should seek technical support for this product?
    Or a place where I can write a formal complaint?

At least the COLLADA exporter works. Will be using that instead, and just have to write a custom pipeline importer for it since none exist in the context of my application & usage.

Post edited by Luddaen on
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

https://bugs.daz3d.com/main_page.php

That's the bug tracker...you will need to register there, too, as it's a different system that isn't connected to the forums.