new V5 purchaser?

DimeolasDimeolas Posts: 192
edited December 1969 in The Commons

...Hi....longtime P@#$% user....thinking of taking advantage of the daz people sale to get into the new figures, V5 M5. I have the free Daz Studio but as far as what to get to be able to reasonably use the new figures i`m a lil confused. Do I understand correctly that V5 and M5 are genesis figures......and that like V4/M4 I will want to get the head and body morphs for them? After that i`m lost, been working in vue for awhile :) ....is there anything else I would want?
Thanks
Scott

Comments

• wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
    edited December 1969

V5 and M5 are Genesis Figures... actually, that's not exactly true, but think of them as Genesis Figures. They work ON Genesis, which you already have with DAZ Studio 4.5 (assuming that's the version you're using).

The M4 and V4 Shapes for Genesis are, essentially, the exact same thing that V5 and M5 are for Genesis, just without the options that M5 and V5 have in the way of morphs, etc. The advantage to having V4 and M4 Shapes for genesis are two fold:

1. For the purpose of using the Auto Fit tool, to fit V4 and M4 clothing and hair to Genesis.
    2. For the purpose of using Generation X to bring a V4 or M4 Morph or Character to Genesis.

Before investing: try playing with these:
    http://www.sharecg.com/v/58198/gallery/21/DAZ-Studio/DieTryings-182-V4-Morphs-for-Genesis

• DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 2,885
    edited December 1969

wancow said:
    V5 and M5 are Genesis Figures... actually, that's not exactly true, but think of them as Genesis Figures. They work ON Genesis, which you already have with DAZ Studio 4.5 (assuming that's the version you're using).

The M4 and V4 Shapes for Genesis are, essentially, the exact same thing that V5 and M5 are for Genesis, just without the options that M5 and V5 have in the way of morphs, etc. The advantage to having V4 and M4 Shapes for genesis are two fold:

1. For the purpose of using the Auto Fit tool, to fit V4 and M4 clothing and hair to Genesis.
    2. For the purpose of using Generation X to bring a V4 or M4 Morph or Character to Genesis.

Before investing: try playing with these:
    http://www.sharecg.com/v/58198/gallery/21/DAZ-Studio/DieTryings-182-V4-Morphs-for-Genesis

M4, V4 and K4 as Autofit clones are part of the base Genesis essentials, I believe. (I know I can autofit K4 clothing to Genesis and they haven't released a K4 shape (which is not the basic child shape. I've had DS4 since the beginning, so I can't keep track of what came with what.)

That said, there are a lot of characters for Genesis that require the V4 and M4 base shapes, so they are worth it.

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,900
    edited December 1969

Regardless of what the character is for Genesis, they are all reated the same by DS. Think of them as a morph that can be mixed as you please.

V4 and M4 shapes are NOT required in order to have V4 and M4 autofit functionality or maps. That is already in Genesis that comes with DS45.

This is a nice little bundle for just V5, M5 and the head, body and muscle morphs - http://www.daz3d.com/genesis-michael-victoria-combo-bundle - expressions too.

• wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
    edited December 1969

Oops... my mistake... sorry, I was under the impression V4 and M4 shapes for Genesis were needed for Auto Fit to work... (it's why I got them in the first place :))

• SotoSoto Posts: 1,440
    edited December 1969

V4/M4 were a base, you needed the ++morphs to shape them into something acceptable.
    With Genesis the bases are the basic male and female shapes included. V5/M5 are ready to use. I tend to use V5 without morphs. With Gen 5 the morphs are not as needed as before, but will be useful to customize the shape of any Genesis character, so yeah, I’d recommend getting them.

• DimeolasDimeolas Posts: 192
    edited December 1969

http://www.daz3d.com/genesis-evolution-morph-bundle there are these morphs
    so I will needs the morph sets for v5/m5 as well as the genesis ones?

edited December 1969

dimeolas said:

Nope.

The evolution morphs will work with M5, and V5, without needing further purchases.

Remember how A4 and S4 were morphs of V4? Well, M5 and V5 are morphs for Genesis. So anything you buy for Genesis (the evolution morphs, the ethnicity morphs, the creature morphs, DieTrying's free morphs...) will work with M5, V5, Teens 5, Stephanie 5, Hiro 5, Hitomi, Freak 5 (when he comes) etc. And you only have to buy them once.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

dimeolas said:

Nope.

The evolution morphs will work with M5, and V5, without needing further purchases.

Remember how A4 and S4 were morphs of V4? Well, M5 and V5 are morphs for Genesis. So anything you buy for Genesis (the evolution morphs, the ethnicity morphs, the creature morphs, DieTrying's free morphs...) will work with M5, V5, Teens 5, Stephanie 5, Hiro 5, Hitomi, Freak 5 (when he comes) etc. And you only have to buy them once.

Don't forget the troll, gorilla and Anubis...

edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:

Don't forget the troll, gorilla and Anubis...

I was just debating on editing those in. ;)

edited December 1969

Ok, thx for all your help...
    am getting the
    genesis michael vicky combo bundle
    v4 and m4 shapes for genesis
    ethnicity for genesis asian
    along with a couple characters.
    As I understand it I will be able to use the v4/m4 shapes for genesis to use my v4/m4 characters iwith genesis, and the autofit toll will allow me to use the v4/m4 clothing also, BUT ( theres always one lol ) will that allow me to use that v4/m4 clothing on v5/m5?
    Thx again folks, much appreciated
    Scott

• kitakoredazkitakoredaz Posts: 3,526
    edited December 1969

yes,, it must work.

becaue,, the V5 morph delta (or any morph which applied by you to genesis) automatically generated to the clothing
    which "fit-to" genesis.

so you can use directly auto-fit to not only V5 (one shape for genesis,)
    or what shape of genesis,, eg kid shape, or M5 shape with your V4, M4 clothing)

(it is useful but not perfect fit with layer fashon, or when you pozing genesis, much.
    so you may need sometimes make morph fot the auto-fitted clothing)

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,382
    edited December 1969

Gen 4 character morphs won't work with Genesis without being transfered with GenX.
    The textures will work but not the morphs.

• ZyloxZylox Posts: 787
    edited December 1969

dimeolas said:
    Ok, thx for all your help...
    am getting the
    genesis michael vicky combo bundle
    v4 and m4 shapes for genesis
    ethnicity for genesis asian
    along with a couple characters.
    As I understand it I will be able to use the v4/m4 shapes for genesis to use my v4/m4 characters iwith genesis, and the autofit toll will allow me to use the v4/m4 clothing also, BUT ( theres always one lol ) will that allow me to use that v4/m4 clothing on v5/m5?
    Thx again folks, much appreciated
    Scott

You don't need to buy anything to have V4, M4, and K4 clothing autofit to the Genesis figure. It is included in Daz Studio 4 & 4.5.

V4 and M4 Shapes for Genesis will only allow you to dial in the base V4 and M4 shapes to your Genesis figures not the morphs or characters for V4 and M4. In order to use your V4 and M4 characters on Genesis you will also need to buy Genesis Generation X which costs $31.95.

One of the really nice things about the Genesis figure is that any clothes that work on Genesis will work on all shapes, with some varying degrees of success. Clothes for female characters may deform in the chest area if used on males/kids.

edited December 1969

Genesis can use Gen4 textures, hair and clothes by default, you don’t need anything else.
    The M4/V4 Iconic Shapes are good if you want to mix those bases with other shapes or if you want to transfer Gen4 characters using Gen X as mentioned above. I have it, but its so easy to create characters with Genesis that I only used it once.

I think the Gen3 Iconic shapes have more value, they add the Gen 3 to AutoFit, so the wardrobe increases a whole generation of figures. Its a great deal since Gen 3 clothes tend to be cheap and on sales.

PD: The smoothing modifier and collision detection helps with autofitted clothes.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Hellboy said:
    PD: The smoothing modifier and collision detection helps with autofitted clothes.

There is also a 'push' modifier...it's seldom mentioned, but is very handy when dealing with stubborn clothing. It loads with a base of 1 cm for the 'push'...that's way too much for most things. Dropping it to 1 mm or less works great (0.1 or lower...down to 0.001). It can also be set to slightly greater than the displacement value of what you have under the item (let's say you have a shirt and a jacket...the shirt is set to collide with Genesis, the jacket is set with the shirt)...the push modifier for the jacket is then set to be slightly more (0.11) if the displacement max for the shirt is 0.10.

edited December 1969

Yeah, the push modifier is very useful too.
    That displacement trick sounds great! I'll have to try it! :)

edited December 1969

...first off thanks to you folks for your help, I ordered the basics and setup DS tonight and tested some base renders, not real impressed tbh, will try and get some of my v4/m4 stuff in there and test that, have tried a V5 character and hair with a lightset that was stock. Will need some other lights in there and some poses. DS seems pretty bare to start out and pretty bare as far as what it seems it will do, but i`m going to keep working with it. We will see.