Anyone get their Skype stolen?

DisparateDreamerDisparateDreamer Posts: 2,504
edited December 1969 in The Commons

I've had super problems with Skype in 2012, and seems like it followed me into 2013....

in 2012 I got a TERRIBLE virus via Skype, and it put a trojan and virus and a whole ton of crap on my computer that eventually locked me out of my own computer!!! Everything I tried, and even a computer help place I took it to for a week, no one could fix it... in the end it had to be wiped.

I got a new skype account, new passwords, etc.... but I started getting a ton of skype spam recently (which I blocked all of and didn't click on any of them).

But then today, my husband's skype was logged onto while he was at work.... and someone used his skype to wrack up a ton of charges on the skype phone bill, which we are currently contesting....

It's just really worrisome. I feel like I'm always looking over my shoulder.

(And selfishly I'm also mad because it means probably I'll be missing out this weekend's 65% off sale because the card is off limits till the charges are settled)

But mostly just worried how to protect our accounts... we change our passwords for almost everything on a regular basis now.... have for the past year....

Oh and my email was gotten into and sending out spam this year too...

I always have an antivirus running.

I just feel like it's a loosing battle!!!!

I don't think I go anywhere scary... I'm not sure where all of this garbage comes from.
:(

Comments

• ReDaveReDave Posts: 815
    edited December 1969

O_o What an awful thing to happen! I rarely use Skype, but I read you shouldn't leave it running all day in the system tray. If you do, more traffic will be driven through your PC (it becomes a "super-node") and I guess more nasty stuff could transit from your computer, although I'm not sure you could catch a virus thusly. Another thing to look out for is root-kits, evil master-viruses, very hard to eradicate properly without wiping the disk. And even then it's not certain you get rid of them, you need to wipe the Master Boot table too (MBT in jargon).

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,470
    edited January 2013

Hertz doughnut! :-(

I don't know where your problems are coming from but a lot depends on your layers of protection.

1) Keep your OS updated. Security and functionality updates applied automatically.

2) Strong passwords changed often (at least twice a year).

3) First-class anti-virus, anti-malware, anti-intrusion, virus definitions kept up to date daily. Periodic (at least monthly) full scans whether you feel you need it or not. I always use and recommend Norton InternetSecurity. Check for Norton's free app updates at least twice a year.

4) If you have Vista or Win7 or Win8 then don't use an "Administrative" account to do your daily work. Make sure you use a "Standard" login account. (Note: Studio4 sucks at knowing how to handle installation in a "Standard" account. You have to be careful about not accepting default paths because your models and/or app may get installed in the administrator's folders and not work when logged in as yourself. It's my primary reason for not using Studio4 much yet. (*grrrr...*).

5) Don't use HTML mode in your e-mail reader. If you can't find a way to use "plain" mode in your e-mail tool then find a different tool. WindowsLiveMail is a good free mail app that handles multiple mailboxes and has lots of configuration and function options. Get it directly from Microsoft by downloading.

6) Don't leave social programs running unattended. (skype, messenger, etc.) Find the option that turns off the "start when windows starts" feature.

7) Never click on an advertisement! Especially at social sites.

8 ) NEVER NEVER NEVER let your grandchildren use your computer!!! And be suspicious of your children too!

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on