Editable .duf file?

eshaesha Posts: 3,235

When developing content I've always enjoyed being able to open and edit the files. It was possible for dsf, now for duf it isn't. Any chance to get that in an editable format?

Comments

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

DUF can either be compressed or not, depending on how it is saved. If you drop the DUF file you want to edit into WinZip, 7Zip or even WinRar, you should be able to edit it.

• eshaesha Posts: 3,235
    edited December 1969

Never thought of trying that. Good tip, thanks a lot!

• BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,886
    edited December 1969

There's a batch converter plugin built into DS4.5, use it to uncompress the DUF & DSF files (if the user file is compressed then the asset files will be as well).

• eshaesha Posts: 3,235
    edited December 1969

Thank you!
    :)

• Zev0Zev0 Posts: 7,064
    edited December 1969

What does compressed do? Just make the files un-editable or does it benefit in any other way?

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

Just the same as WinRar as far as I know, makes them smaller.

• BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,886
    edited December 1969

It's the same thing as a Poser compressed file ie CRZ, PPZ etc

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Just the same as WinRar as far as I know, makes them smaller.

Significantly smaller...

Base Genesis (compressed) 1.6 MB
    Base Genesis (uncompressed) 6.8 MB

• Eva1Eva1 Posts: 1,249
    edited December 1969

Hi, could anyone provide the steps to opening a .duf file for editing please? I've tried dropping on Winip and it won't accept the .duf extension. Is there anything else I can do?

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,582
    edited December 1969

Eva1 said:
    Hi, could anyone provide the steps to opening a .duf file for editing please? I've tried dropping on Winip and it won't accept the .duf extension. Is there anything else I can do?

Change the extension to .zip, then unzip. Or use the feature inside DS to uncompress.

edited December 1969

Change the extension to .zip, then unzip. Or use the feature inside DS to uncompress.

Hi, thanks very much for the quick reply:). I tried changing the extension but now winsip just says it's not a valid archive:-S

edited December 1969

Have you checked to see if it's already plain text?

edited December 1969

Well...it opens in Notepad and Notepadd++ but it's encoded wrong so I can't read it:long: I tried seeing if there was anything I could change but nothing seemed to work.

edited December 1969

Sounds like a corrupt file. Where is this .duf from? Does it work?

edited December 1969

It's a preset shader I made which does work in DS4.5. Strange. I've tried agin (i.e changing extension and opening with Winsip) with a .duf file that comes wtih DS 4.5 and I'm getting the same thing. I bet it's something really simple and silly I have or haven't done.....:roll: .dsa files were so much easier...sigh

edited December 1969

After a bit of messing around I seem to have one solution - I tried it with 7sip instead and used action 'Open Inside' and then opened with notepad, and now I see 'normal' text. I don't quite understand what the problem was in following the same steps as everyone else, but hey ho...I've got there now. Thanks for your help mike:)