exe files not running?

alan bard newcomeralan bard newcomer Posts: 2,130

are there problems with downloads that look complete
I picked up all of the worldbase set
three installed fine... the other give me the run button, but then it just went away...
had the same thing happen with a hair package in h5 pro or yt5 pro, just one that didn't run...

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

As we now are getting a donwload size on DAZ 3D downloads, the best way to check would be to clear your browser cache, and then to try downloading the problem one again. THat way you can check to see if your donwload is complete. Take a note of the size it says it is whilst downloading, and make sure your download is that size.

• alan bard newcomeralan bard newcomer Posts: 2,130
    edited January 2013

usually when a down load crashes it's flagged in the downloader or the icon doesn't appear normally
    the upside to zips is they'll tell you if they're corrupted.
    they do start -- double clicking brings up the do you want to run this dialogue -- when you click it, it goes away but the installer doesn't open.
    Although, in one case it did wipe out the default install location and went back to an older one. so that the next one that ran wanted to install in the wrong place.
    in this case the ds is within a couple k of both the mac one and the dpc version.

Post edited by alan bard newcomer on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Problem is I have none of these products, so can't run a test for you. Hopefully someone else will pop in with some ideas

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

alanbard said:
    usually when a down load crashes it's flagged in the downloader or the icon doesn't appear normally

While true if the download doesn't 'finish', the browser won't flag a download it thinks has completed but hasn't. I frequently get those from ShareCG. And at it's heart the Bitrock installer is a scripted, self-extracting zip file. So if it is mostly complete, but missing something, it could still 'look' right...but not run (or more likely not complete).

Your best bet, is like Chohole said, redownload the not working file.

• alan bard newcomeralan bard newcomer Posts: 2,130
    edited December 1969

yep, it was a bad exe, file...
    and because of the big sale, i was trying to load a lot of stuff and the poor planning inherent in dazs programing drives me crazy.
    the installer needs to be a program that you use to install modules... that way it can have preferences.
    preferences, so I don't ever have to click, no shortcuts, no desktop icon, and no uninstaller
    many of the games of managers for their extra content - dragon age has one...
    Since I separate into directorys -- the old zips are even nicer
    I have one with steam, one with environments etc
    --------------------
    oh, and this can be passed along to anyone who's been frustrated by the inability to tell daz where to scan for new files...
    the last time I upgraded to a larger HD, I took the old 250g drive and only install daz files on it. Granted I still have to turn off all the other drives but I don't have to wait while it searches all my game files etc...
    ---
    if you install new content in an existing directory, it will find it with the search known directorys but obviously without going thru the hd search it won't find a new directory. But if you stop and restart, it will scan just it's own area and find a new directory and as to add it...
    ------------
    anyway thanks for the feedback