Finally, a new PC!

TheWheelManTheWheelMan Posts: 1,014
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Been waiting a long time to get a rig better suited for rendering, and now I finally have one.

Here are my specs:

* Intel Core i7 3770 3.4 GHz
* 12 GB DDR3
* 2 TB 7200 rpm Hard Drive
* Windows 8
* NVIDIA GeForce GT 640 1GB GDDR5

Now if I can only find time to actually play...

Comments

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,730
    edited December 1969

very nice, congrats!
    Similar to mine (without win 8, yeeecchh!)

• mrposermrposer Posts: 1,130
    edited December 1969

Wow 2TB.... that should be enough for Victoria's wardrobe... at least for a couple of months!

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

Congrats!

It is a lovely feeling having a brand new machine, and the i7 chip is really great I think. I love mine, best move I have made in a long time.

Have fun. :)

• XoechZXoechZ Posts: 1,102
    edited December 1969

Cool!

I have recently built a similar machine for 3D stuff. Same CPU (I7 3770), just put in 16 GB RAM - RAM is really cheap these days :-)

But I have a problem with my CPU temperatures. I think they are pretty high - above 80 C when rendering and TurboMode on. About 70 C without TurboMode. What do you think abouth that? Really too high? I mean, rendering can take many hours and I do not want to damage my CPU!

• TheWheelManTheWheelMan Posts: 1,014
    edited December 1969

XoechZ said:
    Cool!

I have recently built a similar machine for 3D stuff. Same CPU (I7 3770), just put in 16 GB RAM - RAM is really cheap these days :-)

But I have a problem with my CPU temperatures. I think they are pretty high - above 80 C when rendering and TurboMode on. About 70 C without TurboMode. What do you think abouth that? Really too high? I mean, rendering can take many hours and I do not want to damage my CPU!

I'm not an expert on such things, but what kind of cooling system do you have? Do you have enough fans? Have you considered installing a water cooling system?

My old system is a five-year old Core 2 Duo 6600, a very nice workhorse that handled everything I threw at it, although the DVD drive is broken. But the new system is making it look like an old jalopy. I've never had a 64-bit CPU or more than 4 Gig of ram, so this is all brand new territory for me.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,934
    edited December 1969

I put liquid cooling in mine. For only $50 more than decked out fans. It is well worth it. I've maxed out all 12 cores for numerous hours and the hottest it got was 29C

• almahiedraalmahiedra Posts: 1,350
    edited January 2013

Been waiting a long time to get a rig better suited for rendering, and now I finally have one.

Here are my specs:

* Intel Core i7 3770 3.4 GHz
    * 12 GB DDR3
    * 2 TB 7200 rpm Hard Drive
    * Windows 8
    * NVIDIA GeForce GT 640 1GB GDDR5

Now if I can only find time to actually play...

Congratulations. Very, very nice configuration.

The same thing I think about time. I have a new PC since December, but zero time to play with it :(
    I change an old core duo 2, 2Gb RAM with a poor Nvidia 512 Mb, to an Intel Core i5 3450, 16 Gb DDR3 and ATI Radeon HD 6570 2Gb DDR3 (i5 to i7 difference is near to my monthly salary, also for DDR5 video card)

Post edited by almahiedra on
  • cipher_Xcipher_X Posts: 121
    edited December 1969

XoechZ said:

Are you using the stock Intel cpu fan? I'd check that it is seated properly because the stock clips tend to pop out . At idle you should be anywhere from 25 to 35C and at extremely long renders not more that 46 to 50C. If your stock fan is seated properly, I would invest in a good aftermarket HS & Fan and Arctic Silver 5 thermal compound. Make sure your front fan is blowing into the case and the back one is blowing out. It is easy for someone to put the fans in the wrong way and have both blowing in.

I can run Prime95 with my Core2 Quad overnight and it maxs at about 46C. I can render in DS or Carrara overnight and not hit 35C.

edited January 2013

Hello again!

Today I talked with my computer shop guy about the heat issues. He said the following:

"Do not worry about temps. Most people never check them and the computers work without problems. Intel knows what they are selling. Keep in mind that you loose warranty on the CPU when you use a different cooler than the stock Intel cooler. And if your CPU gets damaged because of a heat issue, it is also no problem. The CPU is brand new, you got 3 years warranty on it. So the CPU would be exchanged without any problems."

So, having heared that, I do what he said. I work with my cool new pc and if there is a problem I have warranty and the faulty parts will be exchanged. No need to worry :-)

Oh, and another thing he said is that the temperature sensors are often not very accurate, so maybe my temperatures are not near as high as read out. Also the CPU reduces speed when it really gets too warm - what my never did so far.

Post edited by XoechZ on
  • cipher_Xcipher_X Posts: 121
    edited December 1969

Most people aren't rendering either or stressing the cpu doing 3D graphics or animations for hours [even days] on end. Most people are surfing the web, checking emails and maybe playing a few games.

To each his own. I build my own PCs [on my sixth now] and have never had cooling issues. Also warranty isn't an issue. I have PC builds going on almost 8 years, that still work very well [considering the outdated technology in them]. If a computer can run at 30C [86F], that is much better than it running at 60C [140F]. Heat and dust kill electronics...

edited December 1969

Yes, you are right of course. But that is a thing that CPU manufacturers also have to know. CPUs are built to work as they are. It is not my task as a user to tune and tweak and worry about temperatures or voltages and buy extra gear like water coolers - as long I do not overclocking. And I do not do that.
    In my case I did everything I can do as a user. I installed the hardware correctly and I have enough fans in my tower get a proper airflow. If a CPU is damaged by using it, then it is definitely not my fault and the CPU will be returned and exchanged. And of course I do not buy a Core I7 CPU with 3.4 GHZ just for surfing. I could still use an old P4 or Celeron for that. This CPU is built to work :-)

edited December 1969

XoechZ said:
    Yes, you are right of course. But that is a thing that CPU manufacturers also have to know. CPUs are built to work as they are. It is not my task as a user to tune and tweak and worry about temperatures or voltages and buy extra gear like water coolers - as long I do not overclocking. And I do not do that.
    In my case I did everything I can do as a user. I installed the hardware correctly and I have enough fans in my tower get a proper airflow. If a CPU is damaged by using it, then it is definitely not my fault and the CPU will be returned and exchanged. And of course I do not buy a Core I7 CPU with 3.4 GHZ just for surfing. I could still use an old P4 or Celeron for that. This CPU is built to work :-)

My only thought is that if the CPU is overheating, clearly something is wrong somewhere. If it were my computer, I wouldn't just sit back and say if it burns up I'll just replace it. Technically, if the fault is with the setup and not the CPU, the warranty should not cover it.

But whatever...

edited December 1969

I never said that it is overheating. It just gets warm, maybe a bit too warm. But before a CPU overheats it would either throttle the speed or shut down. Mine never did that. So maybe just the sensors are wrong and everything is fine. By the way, Intel describes the max. temperature of this CPU with 105 C, so there is still some headroom.

Oh, what I noticed, the last times I let it work under full load, the temps did not climb that much anymore. Today I did not get much more than 60 C. Maybe the components need some time to work properly...

TheWheelMan, since you have the same CPU as I, do you use the stock cooler? Have you ever checked the temperature under full load (like during rendering)?

edited December 1969

I've only had the system running since Saturday, and no time to try a render yet. And mine isn't custom built, it's a Dell. Everything is stock.

edited December 1969

Ok, I understand. So you do not know and therefore you do not worry. Maybe your CPU is even hotter than mine :-)

edited December 1969

Possible. Is there a software program I can use to measure the temp?

edited December 1969

Yes, there are several ones. I use HWINFO: http://www.hwinfo.com/download64.html

This one is freeware and gives you infos about simply everything in your computer. Nice tool. And if you download the portable version, you do not even have to install it. Just unzip and run it.

edited December 1969

Thanks! My core temps are all in the 30 degree celsius range, but I'm not taxing the system right now.

edited December 1969

Yes, that is ok. Mine also stays there when it is idle.

Oh, and for all who are intersted in that topic, I found a very informative thread at the HWINFO forums:

http://www.hwinfo.com/forum/Thread-CPU-Core-temperature-measuring-via-DTS-Facts-Fictions

Especially post #4 is very interesting!!!

edited December 1969

So basically we can't tell what the cpu temps really are. Interesting,

edited December 1969

Right. Not exactly. I slowly start thinking that this is maybe a very overrated topic. So we best stop thinking about it and do what we want to do - rendering awesome images at awesome speeds :-)