Massive Autofit Problem

EllipsisEllipsis Posts: 0

Today I bought this: http://www.daz3d.com/shades-of-atlantis-anunnaki
It’s originally for M4, but I have DAZ 4.5 Pro, autofit (of course), and M5, so I thought that surely, between all that it would be able to fit alright. Boy, was I wrong.
To start with, there were only a few errors, which I was prepared to put up with:
http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/8200/99992923.jpg
And then I tried posing it:
http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/2193/37155942.jpg
http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/1886/13431917.jpg
I’d read this before: https://helpdaz.zendesk.com/entries/21258657-using-4th-generation-content-on-genesis-in-daz-studio-4
Now, it said that adjustment morphs would be lost, and I was okay with that, but the actual clothing was still supposed to work, so what’s with all the twisting!? :(
Please someone tell me that there's a solution? Or at least that there'll be an update for autofit in future that might sort this out?

Comments

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,632
    edited December 1969

Have you tried converting with transfer utility? Sometimes it gives a better result.

Also, was the staff not a smartprop originally? You shouldn't have to convert it if so, just smartprop to Genesis as-is.

• LindseyLindsey Posts: 1,985
    edited January 2013

I bought Noggins Macaw at the last PA sale and the birdie was behaving like that in DS4.5 when I applied a pose preset. Since it was an older product and it may or not be fixed once DAZ reported it to the vendor, I decided to return it. I attached this picture when I submitted my return request.

The product was perfectly compatible with DS4.0 though, but I had already moved to DS4.5.

Macaw-Cockatoo_issues.jpg
    1090 x 898 - 274K
    Post edited by Lindsey on
  • EllipsisEllipsis Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I've just tried using the transfer utility, but for some reason none of the items are showing up in the select screen, so I can't even see if it would work.

I don't know about smartprop, but I tried just placing it in the scene, moving it into Genisis' hand and changing the parent, which worked well, so thanks for mentioning that...

... unfortunately, since none of the other stuff is any good, I guess I might just have to do what Lindsey did and return it. :(

I'll wait a little while on the off chance that someone else knows something that can help though...

• BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,886
    edited December 1969

Neither autofit or the TU would do a decent job on something like that, there is just too much mesh outside of their general field of influence for it to work well, you would probably have to alter the face grouping as well as the WM in the head piece, and that's before doing a complete re-rig and WM of the tail.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,468
    edited December 1969

There's a limit to what auto conversion can do, and the further things project from the body the worse the conversion is likely to be (that's why high-heels do badly in AutoFit).You are going to need to edit the weight maps for the projecting areas, to make sure they are being affected by the right body part to the right extent (having a second, unconverted, copy of the item loaded as a comparison will help). I would suggest not even trying to convert the staff - just import its OBJ file (the readme should help you find it) and parent that to Genesis' hand.

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,598
    edited January 2013

There's a limit to what auto conversion can do, and the further things project from the body the worse the conversion is likely to be (that's why high-heels do badly in AutoFit).You are going to need to edit the weight maps for the projecting areas, to make sure they are being affected by the right body part to the right extent (having a second, unconverted, copy of the item loaded as a comparison will help). I would suggest not even trying to convert the staff - just import its OBJ file (the readme should help you find it) and parent that to Genesis' hand.
    This is true that there is only so much it can do. You can improve the results you get by adding smoothing to things and playing with the settings in the parameters tab. I did this one which is a similar type of thing. I anticpate I will probably have to do some adjustment morphs for different poses though. I've already done one for the cape.

The main problem is when you pose the figure you get fresh distortions in each pose. After reading Richard's comments in a similar thread I'm of the belief that the problems that are occuring with distortions are problems with the rigging and weightmapping, that if smoothing doesn't fix the problems that the rigging should be the next thing looked at rather than creating morphs which is what I've been doing.

apocalyptic_armour.jpg
    600 x 843 - 115K
    apocalyptic_armour_smoothingadded_chest_piece.jpg
    600 x 843 - 154K
    apocalyptic_armour_side_view_fixed.jpg
    600 x 843 - 74K
    apocalyptic_armour_side_view.jpg
    600 x 843 - 73K
    apocalyptic_armour_prepose.jpg
    600 x 843 - 117K
    Post edited by Pendraia on
  • Canary3dCanary3d Posts: 2,020
    edited December 1969

Way way back in Poser 3 days, before there was conforming, the way you would fit clothing was to apply a pose to the character and then apply the same pose to the clothes. They would line up if they were made for the character, and you would then manually tweak the clothes as needed. This looks like something where you could conform the bracers thru autofit and then do the same-pose trick with the outfit. A simpler way to do it would be to stick an M4 in your scene, conform all the clothes to him, apply the same pose to M4 as you have on Genesis, tweak until they match up, and then make M4 invisible. The clothes will move with him but appear to be worn by Genesis.

It's VERY old-school but it can produce pretty good results! Also the trick of rendering twice, the second time with your man figure invisible, and then compositing the layers together in photoshop works pretty well to fix any pokethru as long as your lighting isn't really complex (if it is the light will look different on the two renders because of the absent figure).

edited December 1969

Thanks for the tip Canary3d! I haven't heard that before...

• EllipsisEllipsis Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I... have no idea how to do any of that...
    I'll try and find out though, then give it a shot.

That thing about using M4 to get the clothes right sounds like a great idea Canary... unfortunately, I don't actually have M4...

Anyway, thanks for the advice everyone.

edited December 1969

I... have no idea how to do any of that...
    I'll try and find out though, then give it a shot.

That thing about using M4 to get the clothes right sounds like a great idea Canary... unfortunately, I don't actually have M4...

Anyway, thanks for the advice everyone.
    To import objects got File\import...not sure what the settings are likely to be but try poser scale first. If it imports and you cant see it delete it and reimport at Daz scale.