do you put DS and/or poser on our resume?

MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
edited December 1969 in The Commons

undecided if it would hurt? or not really matter.

for fun i tried 'render' in a job search engine. surprised to see some hits

http://www.simplyhired.com/a/jobs/list/q-render

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,108
    edited December 1969

Mario and Angelo the cement baggers and concreters would ALSO be "renderers" though lol!

• larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511
    edited January 2013

Your resume should be focused on the job you are applying for. it is not uncommon to have more than one resume, and you send in the appropriate one based on the position offered.

So for me no Poser/Daz don't mean anything as I don't work in visual arts.

If you are a graphic designer or even a web designer I don't think Daz/Poser would hurt at all, It may just trigger a conversation in an interview which will allow you to explain your process and how you incorporate them into web design and make you look smart.

If you are a modeller I probably wouldn't list it even if I used them simply because it may confuse people into thinking you don't actually model and use Daz content instead.

If I was an animator I don't think it would be that bad either, since animating figures of any kind is sound experience.

But I'm a failed artist, so feel free to ignore me, except my first line which is true :)

Post edited by larsmidnatt on
  • Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,340
    edited January 2013

A few years ago, my job involved advising others on their resumes. It was a small part of my job, and I certainly wouldn't claim to be any sort of expert on the matter.

I agree that it definitely depends on what sort of job you are applying for. If it's a job in computers and/or visual arts, my suspicion is that it would probably help a little...but might hurt--some people have a bias against Poser/DAZ (usually, that it's kind of cheating to use premade items in your 3D art).

If your target job is unrelated, it probably won't affect things much. I have a very short Personal section on my resume, where I list hobbies, volunteering experience, etc...things that hopefully make me seem like an interesting person who is worth interviewing. To that extent, it may help. On the other hand, if it would take up space that you could put to better use, then leave it off. I included my 3D hobby in my Personal section...I think I called it something vague like "Digital art/illustration."

It certainly shouldn't go anyplace other than in the "Personal" section...unless it's highly relevant to the position you are applying for, and you're prepared to explain how.

Post edited by Scott Livingston on
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited December 1969

Is it a jungle out there these days?

i haven't worked on my resume in over 10 years, been at the same temp job. My mcse is for NT 4.o, cne is for Novell 4. I'm so verrry outdated.

my resume is dry reading. :(

2003 - 2013
    Excel spreadsheets, access databases, answer phones.

the only new skillset is poser related. and i wrote a couple of novels, but i have nothing to show for it.
    omg, i have nothing to show for 10 years of my life.

• larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511
    edited December 1969

In your situation I am certain you can flesh that out a lot. You can go online for examples, but you should mention what the excel files were for and the particular tasks you handled in them. If the data sets were really large mentioning that as well. Expand on the phone service, did you interact with clients etc etc. don't over simplify

• 3DProclivity3DProclivity Posts: 538
    edited January 2013

Is it a jungle out there these days?

i haven't worked on my resume in over 10 years, been at the same temp job. My mcse is for NT 4.o, cne is for Novell 4. I'm so verrry outdated.

my resume is dry reading. :(

2003 - 2013
    Excel spreadsheets, access databases, answer phones.

the only new skillset is poser related. and i wrote a couple of novels, but i have nothing to show for it.
    omg, i have nothing to show for 10 years of my life.

Actually, you have a lot to show. The key to a good resume is highlighting the market-worthy skills you have (for example):

Excel spreadsheets, data entry = Adept at organizing, processing, and presenting complex data in a meaningful way.

Answering phones = Good with people; Excellent customer service skills; able to listen, identify issues, and either deal with them myself or direct customers to the right place (or person).

Novels = Self-starter; work well with others but can also think out-of-the box when a problem requires a little extra analysis; Excellent verbal and written communication.

poser, etc = Comfortable with computers, whether doing document assembly and presentation, computer graphics, or considering how to re-brand a product, design a book cover, or best utilize available workspace.

Software Proficiencies: MS Office, Photoshop, and 3D/2D content creation software.

-------

Don't have to use any of that exactly, but that should give you some ideas. Just focus on putting together a clean, simple, and honest resume but don't overlook what you can do just because it does not seem immediately relevant.

I never put my 3D stuff under personal interests, but I don't always list specific programs either. I want them to know I can handle THEIR computers and any software they may get in the future. Computer skills are relevant to just about every job these days and so is the ability to communicate well (be it on a forum or in a novel). :)

Post edited by 3DProclivity on