Problems with my Upgrade to DS 4.5

edited December 1969 in New Users

Hello,

I have been using DAZ for a few years now. I had everything set up and running perfectly in 4.0. I decided to upgrade to the latest version because I really want to try some of these new features. But I am just completely stuck now.

When I first installed 4.5, all of my old content was not showing up in the smart content tab. All of the old names were there but the thumbnails were gone, and there were dotted orange borders with error message triangles. I think the reason for this may be that I didn't install Genesis Starter Essentials? But I didn't read the instructions carefully and just figured I would start fresh, uninstall Everything and then reinstall DAZ and then my content.

First I deleted these 2 folders:
/users/documents/DAZ3D
/ProgramFiles/DAZ3D

Then I tried to reinstall 4.5 again along with all of my content.

When I opened DAZ again, all of those broken thumbnails were still there in the SMART CONTENT tab. Genesis is not showing up under people in Smart Content, but Genesis is installed, and the program is running fine. Evolution Morphs were not showing up in the shaping tab, but they are definitely installed in the right place. I double checked the paths of the files on the DAZ3D website and everything is installed fine. Looks like they lost their Parent - Child relationship to Genesis?

I tried CONTENT DB MAINTENANCE --> RE-IMPORT META DATA
It only saw the content that was working fine, but not the broken content. And didn't fix the problem.

I am not sure what to do, I just want to start again clean. And uninstalling and reinstalling twice didn't help. How do I clear out all files and references to everything I ever installed, and start fresh? Or maybe somebody has a better suggestion?

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,583
    edited December 1969

Content Library, options menu (the rectangle with horizontal lines in the upper corner), Content DB Maintenance > Remove orphaned items and unmapped paths.

• edited December 1969

Thank you so much!!!! That did the trick at getting rid of all of the old orphaned thumbs, and then I did a re-import meta data. Now most things are working again in smart content. Some things that are in the content library are still not showing up in smart content, and it is still popping up some error warnings, but at least I can get everything to work.

If I wanted to do an absolute clean re-install of everything. What would be the best way of going about doing that.

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

Clean install http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/14562/P30/#217002

It depends on how far you want to go for a clean install. I usually perform the following:

Uninstall DS4. Make sure you uninstall all the plug-ins, etc. Once everything is uninstalled, make sure you have no DAZStudio4 directories in either or both:

C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D
    C:\Program Files (x86)\DAZ 3D

Also stop the Content Manager Service and uninstall. Goto

%ProgramData%\DAZ 3D\Content Management Service\databases

in Windows Explorer, and delete the database files.

Reboot. Before reinstalling, open Regedit. Do a search for Keys only, using this as the search string:

Studio4

Do a search in HKEY_CURRENT_USER

It should find the following:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\DAZ\Studio4

Right-click on Studio4 in the left pane, and select Delete.

Reboot once again, and re-install. You will need to re-import your directories, Metadata, etc, in DS4 as all the settings are now gone.

ONLY DO REGISTRY PART IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING!