How do I make surfaces emit light?

Freelancer604Freelancer604 Posts: 0

Hey all. Is there a way to make surfaces emit light in daz studio? Im looking or something that can make parts stips of fabric on clothing give off that "tron glow" or make tv screens actually light up without using something artificial like point lights.

Thx in advance!

Comments

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Hey all. Is there a way to make surfaces emit light in daz studio? Im looking or something that can make parts stips of fabric on clothing give off that "tron glow" or make tv screens actually light up without using something artificial like point lights.

Thx in advance!

Something like this?

altransmapped2.jpg
    800 x 1000 - 236K
  • Freelancer604Freelancer604 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

yup. What plugin is that?

edited December 1969

It's UberAreaLight and a transparency map. In 3Delight, there is no other way, than using a light shader to get the job done. (same in Lux, really, they just call it 'mesh lights'...most other renderers have some variation on that theme)

You apply the arealight to the surface, set the ambient to full and then, if you only want a certain area to 'glow' use a map to mask off the rest...

For clothing, you really need to set it up with plenty of material zones before hand, because it's really going to eat up sections of it...

edited December 1969

Oh thanks! looked it up. It looks awesome. Where do you get the uberarealight though? Its not in the daz store. All i can find is something called "omAreaLight" and that one seems to be limited to a a rectangular plane..

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited January 2013

There are already installed with Daz Studio

Try this http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/14536/ It will explain most things and show you where you can find them all.

Post edited by Szark on
    edited December 1969

Szark said:
    There are already installed with Daz Studio

Try this http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/14536/ It will explain most things and show you where you can find them all.

Thanks, Pete, I meant to post back to here with that link, but I got caught up with a pair of eyes...why anyone would want to use US on them and then turn SSS, Fresnel and Velvet on...for the IRISES, is beyond me. It's no wonder they were looking ODD.

edited December 1969

LOL No probs

US on Eyes...Yep me but not with SSS, Fresnel and Velvet on........But we understand these things and for newbie I would imagine it is all greek to them. Mind you I came to US via a learning process that started basic and as my knowledge grew so did my understanding. Some folks want it know and not in 2 years time like me...but I am better off from doing it that way...you know walk before runnning and all that.

edited December 1969

.. I feel like I missed a part of the convo.

Oh wow it IS in DS.. my smartcontent library hast been working and i never opened that folder so i guess it didnt show up in the search. I tried using it but daz keeps crashing due to a "fatal error" as soon as I try to render the image, have you run into this before? I am using DS 4.5.1.6. The crash happens even when there is only a single spotlight in the scene or when Uberarea is the only light source!

• MedzinMedzin Posts: 337
    edited December 1969

I've used ambient color plus a mask for a glow effect. I had to change the max value limit up to 300% for more emission. Put a small walk thru on webpage at

http://tutorials.my3dthings.com/gabr_amb/gabe_ambtatt.htm

finshotcomp.jpg
    600 x 800 - 67K
  • edited December 1969

Oh wow it IS in DS.. my smartcontent library hast been working and i never opened that folder so i guess it didnt show up in the search. I tried using it but daz keeps crashing due to a "fatal error" as soon as I try to render the image, have you run into this before? I am using DS 4.5.1.6. The crash happens even when there is only a single spotlight in the scene or when Uberarea is the only light source!

I had that problem and came across this thread http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/11407/. I turn off progressive rendering whenever there is a surface light in the scene and haven't had a problem since.
    Hope this works for you.
    edited December 1969

Yeah sorry about that.

As Bluemoon suggested Progressive Rendering might be On.

As for the Area Lighting if you looked at my tutorial we would have seen that I showed where to find them in the Content Library Pane (not Smart Content) but you found them and that is the main thing. :)

edited January 2013

But bluemoon, without progressive rendering everyhing looks like clay @.@ am i not seeing some settings?

Thanks Szark. I checked out your guide, lots of good info there, thanks for writing it up!. It just makes me even more eager to get uberarea working properly. I think Ill try reinstalling daz and starter essentials like that thread bluemoon posted suggests.. since the uberenvironment2 presets keep saying im missing the "park" HDRI or something. I dont even know how that happened.

Hey Medzin, thats a really cool effect! Ill be sure to try it for fantasy and scifi renders thanks!

Post edited by Freelancer604 on
    edited December 1969

Progressive Rednering has been broken from day one.

If your render is coming out wrong then yes something else is wrong. Sounds like you need a clean install here are some tips taken from http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/14562/P30/#217002

It depends on how far you want to go for a clean install. I usually perform the following:

Uninstall DS4. Make sure you uninstall all the plug-ins, etc. Once everything is uninstalled, make sure you have no DAZStudio4 directories in either or both:

C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D
    C:\Program Files (x86)\DAZ 3D

Also stop the Content Manager Service and uninstall. Goto

%ProgramData%\DAZ 3D\Content Management Service\databases

in Windows Explorer, and delete the database files.

Reboot. Before reinstalling, open Regedit. Do a search for Keys only, using this as the search string:

Studio4

Do a search in HKEY_CURRENT_USER

It should find the following:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\DAZ\Studio4

Right-click on Studio4 in the left pane, and select Delete.

Reboot once again, and re-install. You will need to re-import your directories, Metadata, etc, in DS4 as all the settings are now gone.

ONLY DO REGISTRY PART IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING!

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited January 2013

Also Open your My Documents Folder set the View to show Hidden Files and Folders. Open AppData then Roaming and delete the DAZ3D folder inside it.

EDIT: This is for Win7 only I belive.

Post edited by Jaderail on
  • RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Also Open your My Documents Folder set the View to show Hidden Files and Folders. Open AppData then Roaming and delete the DAZ3D folder inside it.

EDIT: This is for Win7 only I belive.

works for Vista too

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Posts: 376
    edited December 1969

Medzin said:
    I've used ambient color plus a mask for a glow effect. I had to change the max value limit up to 300% for more emission. Put a small walk thru on webpage at

http://tutorials.my3dthings.com/gabr_amb/gabe_ambtatt.htm

Pure awesomeness.

edited December 1969

I wiped daz clean off the computer with the instructions you linked there Szark, and threw out the roaming daz folder like you said Jade, and daz is working properly now. Thanks everyone!

Ok so theres just one MINOR quirk that came up after I did the clean install of daz. I do not know if this is a bug or if the new daz is just like this, but Victoria 4.2's eyelids no longer dynamically adjust when I rotate her head with the "look at camera X" option on for the eyes @.@ The eyeballs stay on target as I adjust the tilt of the head, but the eyelids stay static and are not repositioned until I move the target camera. Is that just the way everyone's daz acts?

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I wiped daz clean off the computer with the instructions you linked there Szark, and threw out the roaming daz folder like you said Jade, and daz is working properly now. Thanks everyone!

Ok so theres just one MINOR quirk that came up after I did the clean install of daz. I do not know if this is a bug or if the new daz is just like this, but Victoria 4.2's eyelids no longer dynamically adjust when I rotate her head with the "look at camera X" option on for the eyes @.@ The eyeballs stay on target as I adjust the tilt of the head, but the eyelids stay static and are not repositioned until I move the target camera. Is that just the way everyone's daz acts?

I have noticed the same in my system, I just nudge the camera to get the fix as you has done.
    edited December 1969

Ah Ok just checking. Thx again.

• KuriosDrachenKuriosDrachen Posts: 25
    edited December 1969

Is is possible to get colors on a surface to glow in such a way that objects around it reflect its light? Say I have a ball and I want it to glow blue, and I want the box next to it to be cast with it's blue light.

Also, Medzin, you noted in your tutorial that you use Uberenvironment. What exactly do you have for lights in that render? Because I see little to no noise and wish I could get my renders to get that way.

• MedzinMedzin Posts: 337
    edited December 1969

Is is possible to get colors on a surface to glow in such a way that objects around it reflect its light? Say I have a ball and I want it to glow blue, and I want the box next to it to be cast with it's blue light.

You can apply UberAreaLight shader to the object

Also, Medzin, you noted in your tutorial that you use Uberenvironment. What exactly do you have for lights in that render? Because I see little to no noise and wish I could get my renders to get that way.

There is the UE and two distant lights
    A backlight colored blue at 40% intensity
    A light from right side tinted light blue at 1% intensity, with deep shadow map

For the UE, the settings are in screen shot
    For the Env Sphere, I turn off diffuse and raytrace, leaving ambient on

ueset.jpg
    326 x 570 - 22K
    edited January 2013

I explain Uber Area Lighting here http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/14536/ which was mentioned on page one, post 5 of this thread. It should help with your question.
    Post edited by Szark on
  • KuriosDrachenKuriosDrachen Posts: 25
    edited December 1969

Ah sorry Szark missed that link... WOW... I've been reading your linked post for 3 hours and it still is baffling me a little... I'll get there eventually... And THANK YOU! I had no idea Daz had all this...

And thanks Medzin, that helps me get some reference.

edited December 1969

No worries I thought you missed it.

Just pop over to that thread and ask away...I am not on the forums much these days due to having to share a computer again but I will answer any questions I can.

• Yonas AngYonas Ang Posts: 108
    edited October 2013

Szark said:

I explain Uber Area Lighting here http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/14536/ which was mentioned on page one, post 5 of this thread. It should help with your question.

Thank you for the great tutorial, i've been struggling with all omnifreaker tools since most of the given tutorial are in alien language

Post edited by Yonas Ang on
    edited December 1969

Thank you. Yes I am try to keep to plain English as I too found most tutorials or webpages to be full of jargon. What I share is 4 years of trying to understand what the jargon means. :)