Hands for Genesis not working properly

oldblockoldblock Posts: 99

I've just installed (accepting the defaults) Handy for Genesis which has a variety of hand poses. Unfortunately there only a slight resemblance between to pose offered and the result. I have switched on limits which helps slightly but for all practical purposes I might as well pose the hands manually.
No doubt there is a solution, can someone point to it please?

Comments

• BlackFeather1973BlackFeather1973 Posts: 739
    edited December 1969

Apply the reset hand poses that come with the set before applying another hand pose.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Yes, I use this set and you MUST remove any pose to the hand before applying the new pose on genesis. I'm not sure why but I think it has to do with Locked or Unlocked when the pose is applyed.

edited December 1969

Ok, got intrigued now. I suspect it's the way the hand poses were saved originally.
    Hand pose 13 is one that has this issue a lot, so i opened the dsa file and the one from the reset pose. And indeed, the reset pose sets all x, y and z rotations for all the nodes to zero, but the hand poses only set those that were changed and do not reset the other nodes to zero (as they should have).

• oldblockoldblock Posts: 99
    edited December 1969

Thanks everyone, I've done a bit of testing and found the hands work fine on Genesis Female but fail on Genesis Sadie. The dud poses have the fingers bent backwards to an un-natural degree and the Bend parameter reflects this.
    Any comments anyone?

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,898
    edited January 2013

Jaderail said:
    Yes, I use this set and you MUST remove any pose to the hand before applying the new pose on genesis. I'm not sure why but I think it has to do with Locked or Unlocked when the pose is applyed.

When saving poses, if the option "Save Modified Only" is used then DAZ Studio will ignor ALL zero values instead of recording them. Meaning that when you go to apply the pose on a figure that is posed already, it will not zero the values that should be zeroed since they were not recorded.

I mentioned in another thread but forgot to mention here that the DS programmers have now included the option to select all Trans and Rot values which will included the zero values.

Post edited by Mattymanx on
    edited December 1969

Where is the “Save Modified Only” option

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,468
    edited December 1969

File>Save as>Support Asset>

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,898
    edited December 1969

oldblock said:
    Where is the “Save Modified Only” option

After you choose your file name, the window that comes up with the figure tree, look to the upper right of that window for a button. It is the options menu. You will find the different options there.

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,598
    edited December 1969

oldblock said:
    Thanks everyone, I've done a bit of testing and found the hands work fine on Genesis Female but fail on Genesis Sadie. The dud poses have the fingers bent backwards to an un-natural degree and the Bend parameter reflects this.
    Any comments anyone?
    I've seen this occur on shapes that have extreme changes in scale. If you click on the joint editor(looks like a bone) do the bones appear to be in line with the body?

If not you can right click in the work space and choose align\align all bones.

This has worked for me in the past with some shapes...

edited December 1969

The more I read the harder it gets, thanks guys I think I'll forget about my eight bucks and do it manually. Maybe I'll come back to this another time.
    Your help really is appreciated.

edited December 1969

oldblock said:
    The more I read the harder it gets, thanks guys I think I'll forget about my eight bucks and do it manually. Maybe I'll come back to this another time.
    Your help really is appreciated.
    This is all you need to use the set. Use the Set to Zero Pose first and then Add a new pose from the set. All this other talk is Tech stuff not needed to use the Set. Just use the Zero Hand Pose on your Figure so the hand is in the default pose then use any of the other hand poses. That works 100%. Then Zero again before you try a different pose from the set. I do this all the time and it works.
    edited December 1969

This is all you need to use the set. Use the Set to Zero Pose first and then Add a new pose from the set. All this other talk is Tech stuff not needed to use the Set. Just use the Zero Hand Pose on your Figure so the hand is in the default pose then use any of the other hand poses. That works 100%. Then Zero again before you try a different pose from the set. I do this all the time and it works.

I wish this were so; I'm sorry, this is where I came, have I completely missed something somewhere, when you say Zero Hand Pose do you mean Reset Right/Left Hand?

edited December 1969

oldblock said:

I wish this were so; I'm sorry, this is where I came, have I completely missed something somewhere, when you say Zero Hand Pose do you mean Reset Right/Left Hand?

YES
    edited December 1969

Well in that case I regret it still doesn't work on Sadie.

edited December 1969

oldblock said:
    Well in that case I regret it still doesn't work on Sadie.

Okay...just got back from Tassie and noticed you're still having problems so I loaded Sadie up and applied Handy pose 13 l with no problems.

So now I'm wondering if it is possible caused by something else?

I'm not sure if that was the pose you've been trying but it was mentioned as a problem pose earlier in the thread. Is it possible that you may have somehow changed something on the genesis you have installed?

sadie_with_handy.jpg
    800 x 1131 - 177K
    edited December 1969

Thanks Pendraia,
    I'll make a fresh Sadie and see what happens.

edited December 1969

It occurred to me that I'm getting more than my fair share of problems and decided to start afresh with a new Sadie Fae.
    Bingo! I have Sadie but Sadie Fae wouldn't work.
    Back to the Sadie Fae with the problems and Bingo2 the fairy didn't have pointed ears.
    Re-install Sadie Fae and try to modify Sadie and it wouldn't work.
    Re-install again (doing all the uninstalls) still no go.
    Re download Sadie Fae and re-install and Bingo3 everything is working, I have a visible Eye Target, The Point At function seems to be working and although I haven't tried them yet I expect the hands will work too.
    So thanks everyone, your input has been great.

edited December 1969

oldblock said:
    It occurred to me that I'm getting more than my fair share of problems and decided to start afresh with a new Sadie Fae.
    Bingo! I have Sadie but Sadie Fae wouldn't work.
    Back to the Sadie Fae with the problems and Bingo2 the fairy didn't have pointed ears.
    Re-install Sadie Fae and try to modify Sadie and it wouldn't work.
    Re-install again (doing all the uninstalls) still no go.
    Re download Sadie Fae and re-install and Bingo3 everything is working, I have a visible Eye Target, The Point At function seems to be working and although I haven't tried them yet I expect the hands will work too.
    So thanks everyone, your input has been great.

Silly question is Sadie fae for Genesis or original sadie?

edited December 1969

My Sadie is part of Sadie and Sam for Genesis by 3D Universe. Is there another one?

edited December 1969

oldblock said:
    My Sadie is part of Sadie and Sam for Genesis by 3D Universe. Is there another one?

I'm not 100% certain but I believe that there may have been a Sadie Fae for the original Sadie. I own Genesis Sadie but didn't realise it came with a Sadie Fae...
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Yes Sadie Fae for the original Sadie was made by Thorne and Mada

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Yes Sadie Fae for the original Sadie was made by Thorne and Mada

Thanks Cho...I was fairly certain but didn't really get into the original Sadie so only have the genesis version.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

I only remembered cos I made some textures for the dress, etc

edited December 1969

Been a while - I've been sorting other gliches and am now back to this. I'm working with Sadie Fae which uses Sadie and the Handy for Genesis poses definitely fail to perform properly.
    Any observations on this will be appreciated.

edited December 1969

I don't have Sadie, but i am curious now. Could you post some pics of the problem ?

• kitakoredazkitakoredaz Posts: 3,526
    edited December 1969

it seems usuall,,,

because Sadie Fae are not "Sadie for genesis"

http://www.daz3d.com/sadiefae
    http://www.daz3d.com/sadie-and-sam-for-genesis

I do not know how Sadie Fae are setted bone,, (each bones name, and how many bones she have about hand)

if there are same name rig,, the poze preset work to rotate the bone,,
    but it may not fit Sadie Fae parfectly.

they are perfeclty different shape and rig figure.
    though you can apply poze preset for genesis to Sadie Fae,, you may need to adjust
    or it may not work as you expected..

edited December 1969

Then,,,,oldblock how apply Sadie Fae morphs to Sadie for genesis ^^;?

Sadie Fae may (or must) need original Sadie,,,

so you can not apply Sadie morph to "Sadie for genesis"
    did you get already original Sadie?

http://www.daz3d.com/3d-universe-toon-girl-sadie

edited December 1969

Attached are pics with hand reset and posed with Hand 001 L. As you can see the pose bears no resemblance to tthe intended form.
    I appreciate the discussion and thank you all but quite frankly its getting too hard and I have decided to forget about my 8 bucks and shape the hands using built in DAZ poses and manual adjustments.

Pic_2.jpg
    1684 x 987 - 161K
    Pic_1.jpg
    1684 x 987 - 146K
    edited December 1969

Hi old block,, I know you confuse,, but It seems quite well transfer poze to Sadie ^^;
    (Though I do not know,, which Sadie you use, and apply poze preset for genesis)

Pose presets (Handy for genesis) was recorded the delta of each ifnger node rotations of genesis.

when you apply ,"Reset Left Hand" , if the hand and each fingers shape are not same with genesis zero hand shape,
    after you apply Poze preset ( Hand 001) to !Sadie,, result may not be perfectly same as the picture of Hand 001 L.

check my picture please.

pic 1 is,, child shape of genesis,, I used "Reset L hand" to the Child.
    this is zero hand poze of the Child genesis.

you can compare pic 1 hand shape,,,,with your Sadie Hand and fingers shape and poze.
    as you know it is different. not look like.
    so that,, after you apply preset, the Resutl shape is not same to the Picture of poze presets.
    you may need to modify pozing,, after apply hand poze presets, but it is useful to make base poze.

001poze.JPG
    666 x 583 - 86K
    resetpoze.JPG
    695 x 572 - 87K
    edited December 1969

I am modelling Sadie Fae which is a DAZ modification of Sadie which is part of Sadie and Sam also from Daz.
    As far as I can recall the hands work fine with Sadie but this isn't what I am trying to do.
    You are all talking about various Sadies, how many are there and why do they all have the same name?

I've spent an extraordinary amount of time trying to get my head round these discussions and descriptions and again I thank you all.
    It is only a matter of time before I hit another conundrum that seems to be a feature of anthing DAZ but rest assured I'm hanging in there and my fairy will fly if it's the last thing I ever do - and at my age that's a possibility.

Thanks Guys