Noob question but how to I "weld" two objects?

Hi, I'm sure the solution to this is somewhere right under my nose but . . . I have two objects, for example a Genesis character and a vehicle. I pose the character to sit in the vehicle seat. Move the vehicle in animation and my character remains in original position now floating over the ground plane. How to I "weld" the character to the vehicle, hopefully still able to make small adjustments to model at different locations on the timeline. Thanks for any help.

-Greg

Comments

• Dr StupidDr Stupid Posts: 313
    edited December 1969

Hi Greg

You need to parent one object to another. This is done via the heirarchical tree in the Scene tab on the left. In the example you give you would parent the figure to the vehicle, picking a logical part of each object to glue together. For driver and vehicle I would attach the hip of the character to the left seat of the vehicle. One is supposed to be able to drag and drop the child object to the parent directly within the tree, but in all the years I've been using Studio I've rarely had much success with this! So in this example I would open the tree, right click on the hip joint, choose Change Parent (I think that's what it's called!), and find the left seat joint of the vehicle, and then the figure will move inside the vehicle heirarchy, "welding" it to the vehicle and leaving a single object that you can move. If you then highlight the figure, you can still pose the various parts independently, but when you move the vehicle that character's butt will stay firmly glued to the seat!

It's all pretty straightforward, and I've probably explained it really badly and made it sound complicated, but believe me, it ain't :)

• gregf_f51cdb916agregf_f51cdb916a Posts: 3
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the info. Appreciate your time and the solution!