List of Gen 4 hair that fits Genesis!?

RogerbeeRogerbee Posts: 4,460
edited January 2013 in The Commons

I just ran a search and didn't find any results, so...

Which Gen 4 hair fits Genesis?

Out of what I have, the ones I know that do fit are:

V4/A4 Bun Hair

Maelwenn's Vanessa Hair

Diamond Hair

FK Alanis Hair

Valkynne Hair

Loreley Hair

Helios Hair

Bijou Hair

Oddly, even though there is a Reby Sky for Genesis, Reby Sky Elite Hair doesn't fit Genesis! Is there something you need in order to get it to do so!?

Anyhow, if you can add to this list, please do! Note that I'm not interested in Genesis hair, just Gen 4 hair that will fit Genesis. Also, if Autofit will help, please say so.

CHEERS!

Post edited by Rogerbee on

Comments

• larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511
    edited January 2013

I would use autofit for your hair. Thats how I do it for all my gen4 stuff on genesis. The only time I don't think this works is when hair is a prop and not a figure. I typically don't use prop hair though anyway, it's usually too simple to be interesting (unless its for a toon)

Also, some hair does lose its morphs through autofit unfortunately :( Most hair seems keep the morph controls, but some hair the dials no longer work. It's the same for clothing through autofit though, it's hit or miss. Most of the time it is ok though.

For the one hair item I can think of now that didn't keep its morphs, instead of autofitting I just scaled the hair how I wanted to make it look good on genesis(after the figure has been shaped) and then I parented to the head and used smoothing and collided the hair against genesis.

Hope that helps.

Post edited by larsmidnatt on
  • cwichuracwichura Posts: 1,042
    edited January 2013

With hair, I actually take the opposite approach to what larsmidnatt has suggested: I just load the hair item by itself and then parent it to Genesis' head. Then use the morphs and such to adjust as necessary, and sometimes enable collision with Genesis to fix minor poke-through issues. Ultimately, this depends on how complete the movement/styling morphs are in the hair prop you are looking to use, though. But hair props that are very light on those tend to be kinda inflexible on the gen 4 figures as well...

My experience with using the transfer utility on hair is that it usually gets mangled beyond use, much like footwear and long skirts do. Parenting hair generally works fairly well, since hair doesn't really need to follow morphs/bends in the base figure all that much. (As opposed to trying to parent clothing, which would be a nightmare to manually pose to match the base figure without using the transfer tool to conform it.) Because you are parenting, instead of converting using the transfer utility, pretty much ALL hair works on Genesis without much fiddling.

Post edited by cwichura on
  • Zev0Zev0 Posts: 7,068
    edited December 1969

I just parent to head, re-scale and add collision smoothing with Genesis (value 0f 3-5). The hair then moulds onto the head and fits perfectly.

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,730
    edited December 1969

I typically don't use prop hair though anyway, it's usually too simple to be interesting (unless its for a toon)

Also, some hair does lose its morphs through autofit unfortunately :( Most hair seems keep the morph controls, but some hair the dials no longer work. It's the same for clothing through autofit though, it's hit or miss. Most of the time it is ok though.

For the one hair item I can think of now that didn't keep its morphs, instead of autofitting I just scaled the hair how I wanted to make it look good on genesis(after the figure has been shaped) and then I parented to the head and used smoothing and collided the hair against genesis.

Hope that helps.

There are actually some great hair addons that are props, Total Updo 2 is prop hair and fits genesis nicely, several of the 3dream hairs are none conforming even though they are not in the prop folder. Kouros hair has a prop version with genesis fit for it.

What I usually do if hair doesn't autofit correctly is load the hair to a default genesis unposed and cancel autofit. Usually this places it where it needs to be and i then make any XYZ/scaling adjustments and then parent it to the head, that way i retain the full functionality of the hair and the mesh doesn't become compromised. If i need a perfect fit, then i apply the smoothing modifier with collision set to genesis, works great.

I am beginning to think that all of the plug and play products we have really hurt users in understanding and using the software we have, i talked to a user on another forum that wanted comforming sunglasses specifically for genesis and they seemed totally lost on the fact you could take any pair of glasses and manually place them on genesis's face and he didn't come across like a new user either.

• Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,340
    edited January 2013

I think pretty much any older hair can fit Genesis...some just take more tinkering than others. As others have posted, there are various approaches you can use. I have a tutorial about this, among other hair-related things: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/5646/ Hope you find it helpful!

Zev0: thanks for the collision smoothing tip! I'll add that to my tutorial. :)

Post edited by Scott Livingston on
  • larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511
    edited December 1969

cwichura said:
    With hair, I actually take the opposite approach to what larsmidnatt has suggested: I just load the hair item by itself and then parent it to Genesis' head.

I said that too ;)

There are actually some great hair addons that are props, Total Updo 2 is prop hair and fits genesis nicely, several of the 3dream hairs are none conforming even though they are not in the prop folder. Kouros hair has a prop version with genesis fit for it.

Ok I should have said the prop hair I have isn't that great. I don't have any of the ones you mention.

Anyway, I think 5 people have said they parent the hair to the figure and scale accordingly, and I think two or three of us also autofit when we can. So those two methods seem to work :)

• willowfanwillowfan Posts: 238
    edited December 1969

Make that 6 - I don't think I've got any Gen 4 hairs that I can't make work on Genesis using one or other of the techniques already described.

• BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,886
    edited December 1969

In a nutshell, they all fit, figure hair will auto fit to Genesis pretty well, prop hair takes a little bit longer but it to can be auto fitted as well.

• RogerbeeRogerbee Posts: 4,460
    edited January 2013

Thanks guys,

You've been really helpful. The majority of the hair that I mentioned as fitting is prop hair, though the odd conforming ones do as well. You do need to do a bit of scaling, but nothing major. Belle Arum Hair actually fits better in DS on V5 than it did on her DSON'ed counterpart in Poser.

It's just a case of trying everything you suggested and one method probably will work if another won't. I'll probably create hair for the guys in Garibaldi. That tutorial will definitely be a vital read.

You'd think that a Genesis version of Reby's hair would have been done when they did the Genesis version of the lady herself, hmmm....

CHEERS!

Post edited by Rogerbee on
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Bejaymac said:
    In a nutshell, they all fit, figure hair will auto fit to Genesis pretty well, prop hair takes a little bit longer but it to can be auto fitted as well.

And most Gen3 hair can too...especially if it has a Gen4 fit for it (if you don't have the Gen3 shapes and their clones). Between Autofit and manually running the Transfer utility, you should be able to get 95++% of the hair fitting...and if it doesn't the parenting/sizing will get it to fit.

edited December 1969

Cool,

I'll try everything and if it fails I'll Garibaldi it. It amuses me that a plug in for creating hair has 'bald' in the name.

CHEERS!

• SpitSpit Posts: 2,342
    edited December 1969

I think there are differences between Studio 4 and Studio 4.5 that affect the way one thinks about fitting hairs. Prop hair does not have to be resized and fiddled in 4.5 if you use the transfer utility and convert the prop to figure. All the morphs are transferred and work.

Ramwolf has a good tute on this: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/1866/

Read the thread for further tips and clarifications.

I don't recommend this for figure hair, however, (of course the step to convert to figure is not necessary with figure hair) because there develops a kink in the hair at the shoulders though I've actually had success with longer hair (figure) defining it as 'short' hair rather than 'long'. I think a tip mentioning that is in the thread as well.

My only 'heads up' on prop to figure is poser mat files might need changing to work in Studio. The hair is no longer 'prop figurehair' it should now be 'figure' (near the top of the file). You can batch change occurrences with a text editor (I use EditPad Lite). I save the changed files in a new folder called simply 'genesis mats' in the original mat folder and copy the pngs into the new folder but you can put them whereever they work best for you of course.

Once you've done it a couple of times the process becomes almost automatic because it really is not terribly complicated.

• JabbaJabba Posts: 1,460
    edited December 1969

Try Sickleyield's Super Hat & Hair Fixer http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/sickle-super-hat-and-hair-fixer/95296

So long as it's a CR2 file and not an hr2, then Sickleyield's hat cap is a solution that lets you use hair without losing the morphs because you fit the hair to the cap (which is fitted to Genesis), so not autofitting hair direct to Genesis.

• TimbalesTimbales Posts: 2,324
    edited December 1969

When scaling and using mesh smoothing on a prop hair, I find it easiest to make all but the skullcap invisible. I find it makes the work quicker.

edited December 1969

Thanks for the input,

DS is starting to make loads more sense now. What could be better than Daz figures in their natural habitat!? If my curiosity hadn't got the better of me, I might have stuck with it instead of Poser. That said, perhaps I wouldn't have been happy paying for DS3A, perhaps it was best that I got back into DS now while the majority of good stuff is free.

CHEERS!