Wonka WIP

MikeyFTLMikeyFTL Posts: 367
edited January 2013 in The Commons

Just having some fun with DAZ3D and Cinema 4D.

I may offer these as freebies due to possible copyright infringements.

wonka_products.jpg
1172 x 729 - 671K
Post edited by MikeyFTL on

Comments

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

Based on the first movie I see. Those images look good enough to eat already :)

• MikeyFTLMikeyFTL Posts: 367
    edited December 1969

Well I wouldn't want to discriminate.

wonka_products_b.jpg
    1296 x 764 - 790K
  • LycanthropeXLycanthropeX Posts: 2,287
    edited December 1969

omg omg i so want these,

edited January 2013

Just need to get the silvers and golds to play nice in Daz. Would also be fun to morph the wrappers to open and expose the ticket and chocolate inside...though I wouldn't want to be the one to animate something as complicated as Genesis opening a Wonka bar. But they'll make nice stills.

edited December 1969

silvers and golds are fairly easy in Poser

edited December 1969

Unfortunately Poser crashes every five minutes on my machine, so I can only use Daz3D.

edited January 2013

make sure you have the latest SR, and make sure you up your virtual memory, if VM is set too low Poser will crash a lot.

also make sure you have the latest drivers for your vid card, especially if you have an NVIDA card

Post edited by LycanthropeX on
    edited December 1969

Appreciate that. But I stopped using and uninstalled Poser many many moons ago.

edited December 1969

I can personally guarantee, ladies and gentlemen, that this is the one and only, the absolutely last case of Wonka bars left in the United Kingdom. Shall we start the bidding at 1000 pounds?

wonka_case.jpg
    936 x 770 - 528K
  • MorpheonMorpheon Posts: 738
    edited December 1969

Other than the golden ticket should look a little more metallic, I think they're spot-on. You did a wonderful job on them.

I recently had a conversation with another vendor who was marketing a couple of products based on a movie franchise, and I told him that I know that there's a certain amount of leeway with making freebies based off of copyrighted material, but actually selling them is another matter entirely, and wasn't he/she worried about getting sued? This vendor was of the opinion that they wouldn't be generating enough sales off of the items in question to actually catch the attention of the copyright holders; or that the amount of money generated wouldn't be sufficient to incur their legal wrath; and in a worst case scenario, they would simply stop selling the items and release them as freebies.

Given that no comparable authorized item already exists on the market to compete with (and isn't likely to), it could be argued that selling items based off of copyrighted material isn't actually harming the copyright holder in a financial sense. In fact, one could make the argument that it amounts to free publicity for that copyrighted material. On the other hand, the copyright holder does have the right to control the dissemination of their property.

Good luck...

edited December 1969

Thanks Sarsifus. That's good to know. This is mostly an experiment in getting simple textured 3D objects into Daz from Cinema 4D and to gauge if anyone had any interest in getting them. I wouldn't sell them for more than a couple bucks if permitted.

edited January 2013

Finally some golden goodness in Daz3D. This is based on Julie Dawn Cole's (Veruca Salt) original golden ticket from the movie. You can see the edges were not cut perfectly, especially on the bottom right corner. The Opacity image can be altered if the cuts need to be perfect, however imperfections tend to be more realistic I think.

ticket.jpg
    858 x 562 - 397K
    edited December 1969

I especially love the slight indentations. Is it bump mapped or a cunning use of specular maps, or perhaps both?

edited December 1969

No specular used. The whole thing is just a rectangular polygon with a black and white diffuse map for the text with a little gold coloring. The edge is an opacity map so no modeling was needed. A noise texture was used as a bump map to add fuzziness for a metallic reflection map. Then an aluminum foil texture for the displacement map to add crumple. I originally used the foil in the bump channel, but the reflection was unrealistic. All maps are tiny so it renders super fast.

edited December 1969

Ahh, you used dispalcement. Either way the end effect works really well. It's subtle, but not so much that you don't notice it. Little touches make all the difference sometimes.