Re-Installing Carrara 8 troubles

CrispycraftCrispycraft Posts: 19
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

I have used Carrara for some time now, but I have recently replaced my old computer and I have been trying to re-install everything that I had. I had DAZStudio 4, but just installed the latest 4.5, and now I've installed Carrara 8 and can't remember how to get the shaders, scenes, etc., to show up in the tabs at the bottom of the work window.
I never had this trouble before. I started with Carrara 6, went to 7, and now 8, and I guess all of these missing items just automatically moved along with each update I added. But now that I'm starting from scratch I can't seem to figure it out.

I loaded DAZStudio 4.5 (Still a little confused by the new TWO directory install)
I loaded Carrara 8.Something
What do I need to load for all of the standard Carrara objects, shaders, scenes, etc., to show up?

My new computer is the HP Envy Phoenix with Windows 8 if that matters.

Comments

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

Hi Crispycraft :)

You need to download the "Carrara Native Content" file,. it should be in your account.
    Install that into the Carrara folder, ad you should have all the shaders, scenes, models, and wizards.

Daz Studio 4 (and above) create two install folders, because W"indows doesn't like to have user "content" files inside of an Application folder.

The first Install folder is for the main Daz Studio program.
    The second install folder is the library where all your DS content is installed to.
    This is normally C: / Users / your name / My Documents / Daz3D / My Library.

Carrara also creates a set of folders inside your "My Documents / Daz3D" folder, where it stores any user created files, such as "My Shaders", "My Objects", "My Clips" ..etc..

Hope it helps :)

• CrispycraftCrispycraft Posts: 19
    edited January 2013

Hi, 3DAGE. Thanks for the help! I've tried running the Carrara native exe, but I only get a blank box. What is wrong?

Untitled.jpg
    541 x 373 - 12K
    Post edited by Crispycraft on
    edited December 1969

Hi Crispycraft :)

Is this on a Windows 8 system ?

If so,.. try right clicking the installer and choosing to run it in Win 7 compatibility mode.

If not,..

Is this the only installer with issues, ?

What graphics card do you have ?

• CrispycraftCrispycraft Posts: 19
    edited December 1969

Thank you!!!

I'm running Windows 8. I love it, but I run into some catches from time to time. You're a genius, 3DAGE!

edited December 1969

:)

No problem,. I'm always glad to help if I can.

Glad you got it sorted :)

• ZyloxZylox Posts: 787
    edited December 1969

Thank you, I am also running Windows 8 and was wondering why this installer didn't work when all the other Daz installers do. I actually got my native content installed now.

edited December 1969

HI Zylox :)

It's a hard issue to pin down, but the numbers would suggest that it's an issue with that specific installer and Windows 8, if all the other installers are running as expected.

I'm sure at some point, either the installer will be looked at and fixed to work in Win 8 and be backward compatible,. or the need for different "installers" for Mac and PC may even be eliminated.

right now, the only solution is to run in compatibility mode for Win 7.

:)