26th BRYCE RENDER CHALLENGE theme is ──"Whatever the Weather"──

1234568»

Comments

• JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited August 2017

Agree, Steve - I stopped entering the render challenges some time back - not because of winning, but that those won were not really choiced (by in-experienced?, obviously-non-Bryced??, biased judges???). Bryce members & other-related might make the best judges (through an anonymous, non-personal, single-vote setup, of course) , so your 'voting/honour' suggestion sound's good.

Another thing, we've been nicely asked to offer votes on Carrera competitions 'with comments' in the past, but, I think a more simpler offer would be to just say images #1, #22 and #34 etc., are favourites (comments can be great, but they may also confuse, so best left out - in competitons anyway).

Jay

Post edited by Jamahoney on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

I would sincerely like somone to help out on this,.    I don't want to let the challenge go away,  but on the other hand  I am just having difficulty finidng time to handle it all single handedly

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,388

I hope the challenge will resume again even without prizes; no prizes no need for judges, but the fun will remain. But then very few people will participate, because challenges are really about winning. My 2 cents on this. laugh

Maybe someone with experience can help Chohole to get us on the road again. smiley

• ApocApoc Posts: 407

I would sincerely like somone to help out on this,.    I don't want to let the challenge go away,  but on the other hand  I am just having difficulty finidng time to handle it all single handedly

What exact help do you need?

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited August 2017

I'm fine with community judging, although I'd prefer it to be anonymous, I could see some personality types potentially getting discouraged if their entry gets no or dramatically fewer votes than another, rather than the current method of seeing basically the winning vote(s) only and no numbers on all the rest of the entries.   I'm also not a fan of "with comments", as although I might think an entry is great I may not have any meaningfull comments and might just constantly stretch to find rewording of "great image!" every time.

I find I am motivated by prize-bearing contests, but not but the no-prize contests.  Call me materialistic.  :-)  Or perhaps just easily excitable by the thought of prizes.  Probably a good thing I never found out about those "win a free goldfish at the fair!" things.

I've never tried setting up a survey, but I thought that could be easily done within a forum post somehow (presumably by a moderator)?  I've also heard of and used as a user, but never set up, a survery at SurveyMonkey.  A simple email tally could also be used but might actually turn out to be extra work just managing email volume vs. just a plain old public voting forum.

Also, if it is simply a matter of overall time (rather than something relating to this specific contest), then Chohole maybe we could offer suggestions to help you free up time on completely unrelated projects, that would then translate to more time to be used here.

Post edited by sriesch on
    sriesch said:

Also, if it is simply a matter of overall time (rather than something relating to this specific contest), then Chohole maybe we could offer suggestions to help you free up time on completely unrelated projects, that would then translate to more time to be used here.

Well it's both really.   Setting up the voting thread, and then tallying the votes after chivvying people to vote does take time.  I would prefer to set up f bryce community voting system, but somehow managing to avoid any "favouritism"

There will always be the $30 in store credit that I provide each time, so it will never be a completely prize less challenge.

Free up time elsewhere to give me more time to sort the contest out.  Well I am not giving up being a Mod, so no time to be found there.  My most challenging bit time wise is in that strange thing called Real Life.Now I am on my own it hasn't lessened the house work, cooking cleaning gardening, shopping etc etc. There is just as much to be done, and only me to do it. And of course he used to do the things I found difficulty with, having Arthritus so it takes me quite a lot longer to get them done.

I did try to work out how to set up a poll with Survey Monkey,  but I couldn't work out how to do it  It is designed for surveys rather tham polls.   We no longer have a poll system available in the forums since they did the last Software change. The previous iteration did have a poll, but could only have 12 questions, which was pretty useless.

Allow me to offer my 2 cents on how a contest like this could be created and done fairly.

1.) As far as favortism goes, you can simple give everyone mutliple numbers of votes +1 by the number of entries. Example: a contest that allows for 2 entries, should give everyone 3 votes. So even if they do vote for there own piece, they always have to add someone elses to the mix ( meaning that there can be no ties hypothetically ).

2.) I dont think a external service is needed for this option, since an additoinal post can be made, but if you want something more convient, I recommend survey planet or something similar.

3.)  you can also do something like a rating system, where the names of who created the image is not shown, just rate each image as you see fit and  the top 5 win.

• JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited August 2017

Yeah, some free competition software is what is needed - just did a Google and this one (Camera Club Software) sprang up - click on Manual, and then on Manuel.Pdf for more - might suit, or not, your needs, Chohole. But, I'm sure, a thorough search/research for/on more freebies would yield info.,.

Perhaps, if freebies aren't useful, preparation to pay out some bucks is envisioned. 'Kick' DAZ for some financial support...they have, after all, been on the back-burner - benefiting from Bryce works for years that used bought-items through its 'smart' organisational sales division. Time, to ask for some payback!

Jay

Post edited by Jamahoney on
  • HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,895

I made some comment in the other thread by Apoc with the nice Survey Planet.

I think the voting should be anonymous. Not because we do not want people to vote for themselves (which we do not want, but is difficult to avoid, except by a complicated system), but because our (or at least my) opinion will always be biased by what I know. So some people always make marvelous works, which will lead me (subconciously) to regard their entries as better than others, even if in some cases this is not true if seen without names. On the other hand, some people 'deserv to win sometime', so may get my vote out of sympathy, instead of because of the greatness of their work.

Anyway, the number of entris is so small, that I think most of us will recognise who made some entries anyway. Therefore, I think that it is best to have experienced 3D rendermakers, that generally not use Bryce (because they always use something else) or are not active in our group, AKA: judges, do the voting.

If we find a method to make it more easy for Chohole to present the choices to the judges and to get and analyse the results, that would be best.

By the way, some time ago, we did get some remarks by some judges on some of the winning or mentioned works. I liked that, because is is nice to see why someone decided to give there vote to a specific render.

If we find a method to make it more easy for Chohole to present the choices to the judges and to get and analyse the results, that would be best.

By the way, some time ago, we did get some remarks by some judges on some of the winning or mentioned works. I liked that, because is is nice to see why someone decided to give there vote to a specific render.

I agree. Only issue is actually finding a way to do it. Since we are a small community ( at least I think of us as one ), it would be rather difficult to find others who would interested in helping us. I do like the idea of carraa forum members judging us ( even though many of us could hop on over and still vote anyway lol ). I thought it was at least the best idea. I know my idea is no where near perfect, but for the time being, since our contests were greatly postponed, I think a multi vote system will do us best. However if anyone has any other ideas, I am more than happy to take em into consideration. Like chohole said in the other topic, it is a testing period. and I think we should all pitch in to help her with as many good ideas as we can.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/189421/25th-bryce-render-contest-official-poll#latest

yes,  it's very difficult.   Bryce artists (and to a certain extent Carrara artists) are the best ones to judge Bryce art.  The judging panel kept changing personel, and it does tend to be voting for "The pretty pictures"  rather than the best excecuted renders done using Bryce.   I am not explaining that very well.

• HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,895

I agree with both of you. How to find those independent judges that understand not only 'pretty' or 'very realistic', but also 'artistic' and 'great rendering'? You explained very well, Chohole! So, if finding judges is too difficult, we must go with your approach, Apoc, I have no objections whatsoever.

• Yellow PenYellow Pen Posts: 920

Both of you had good Ideas, I think. And I agree, too. And I'm looking forward to the decision smiley

This Bryce-Contest here is for every Brycer a good way to compete with others. So I hope this here wouldn't die.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,537

I look how the theme was interpreted, there are many creative possibilities that may also show some thinking outside the box (+) - but also some that are difficult to relate to the topic of the contest (-). (4 points)

How Bryce is used to create the artwork, how the work was executed. Obviously, knowing Bryce well is an advantage and there is where new users come in and have a chance to get favorable votes. (3 points)

Then come composition and lighting. An artwork has not necessarily appeal to me to see it as a great work of art. (2 points)

Finally, the overall "impact" influences judgement but with lesser importance, because it gets personal. (1 point)