Why I let my Platinum club membership expire

wazzywazzy Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in The Commons

DAZ seems to have written off users of Poser. I am running Poser 7 which is very stable, and I can do everything I want to do in it. I have mastered Poser lighting and Poser materials and have no interest at all in learning another application. Since almost all of your new releases are incompatible with Poser 7, there is hardly anything new here I want to buy. I have no interest at all in the retro style material being sold at Platinum club prices. So a Platinum club membership is a waste of money. There is nothing offered that I want or can use. At one time I got almost half my Poser material here, but since you have written off the conventional Poser market, that is no more.

Comments

• cimairacimaira Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

wazzy said:
    DAZ seems to have written off users of Poser. I am running Poser 7 which is very stable, and I can do everything I want to do in it. I have mastered Poser lighting and Poser materials and have no interest at all in learning another application. Since almost all of your new releases are incompatible with Poser 7, there is hardly anything new here I want to buy. I have no interest at all in the retro style material being sold at Platinum club prices. So a Platinum club membership is a waste of money. There is nothing offered that I want or can use. At one time I got almost half my Poser material here, but since you have written off the conventional Poser market, that is no more.

I am in exactly the same place you are Wazzy. I use Poser 7, so the DSON importer is of no use to me, I hate to say it , but I believe my PC membership will be allowed to expire also.

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,730
    edited December 1969

The conventional Poser market is alive and well, you are just behind the times. Most poser releases are for the newer versions also. You can place plenty of blame on Smith Micro and yourself for staying with poser 7 and/or not taking time to learn other tools and apps.
    I still prefer poser 7 over poser 2012, but then again i also use DS, Vue, Bryce and 3DSMax.

• TheWheelManTheWheelMan Posts: 1,014
    edited December 1969

wazzy said:

Makes no sense to say they have "written off Poser users." With DSON, they clearly have done the exact opposite. I still buy plenty of content here, even before DSON. Besides, Poser 7 doesn't even support newer, Poser-specific figures made Smith Micro. Do say that Smith Micro has written off Poser users?

Technology advances, and no matter whether it's software or hardware, you will always find yourself getting left behind eventually. There's absolutely nothing wrong with your choice to stick with Poser 7, but that's your choice, and neither DAZ nor Smith Micro is required to continue supporting you with new content. Right or wrong, that's just how things always work.

• willowfanwillowfan Posts: 238
    edited December 1969

You can't really blame Daz for not supporting a version of Poser that is at least 6 years old (an eternity in software) and 4 or 5 iterations behind the currently produced version.

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

I hate to be the one to point out the obvious here, but Poser 7 is very old software even by Smith Micro standards, and they've dropped support for it just as much as Daz have. I'd even go so far as to say my copy of Poser Pro 2010 is looking rather dated already, which is why I made the sensible choice to move on to bigger and brighter things.

From the moment I learned about Genesis' morph capabilities I knew my copy of Poser was on it's dying breath, which is why I opted to download the (still currently free) Daz Studio 4.5. I'll admit there are some things I miss a little, though nothing which can't be fixed by exporting between the two applications, but I learned how to get what I wanted out of the new application and though I've only been using it less than four months, I can happily say it was pretty easy to adapt.

No one can fault you for your decision to let your PC membership expire if you're locked into use P7, but then again neither can you really fault Daz for no longer supporting old software.

• SockrateaseSockratease Posts: 813
    edited December 1969

I let my PC membership expire long ago. Right after Dan Farr broke his PROMISE that The Millennium Cow would be Prioritized and released before ANY other human figures got released!!

I don't care if it was a dream.

He still Promised.

I remain convinced this was the real reason for his departure.

• nobody1954nobody1954 Posts: 933
    edited January 2013

Poser 9 is still $58.09 with free shipping in the US at Amazon. Great reason to upgrade if you are so inclined. It will let you make use of the latest advances in both Poser and Daz at a reasonable price.

Post edited by nobody1954 on
  • DogzDogz Posts: 898
    edited January 2013

You can't really blame Daz for not supporting a version of Poser that is at least 6 years old (an eternity in software) and 4 or 5 iterations behind the currently produced version.

Exactly this and here is another perspective
    Just like the way Movie rental outlets wrote off VHS customers who wouldnt Upgrade to a DVD player, daz has written off Poser 7 users who dont want to upgrade to Poser 9.
    Progress is apart of life. we each must choose whether or not to follow it.

Post edited by Dogz on
  • DWGDWG Posts: 770
    edited December 1969

Dogz said:

Exactly this and here is another perspective
    Just like the way Movie rental outlets wrote off VHS customers who wouldnt Upgrade to a DVD player, daz has written off Poser 7 users who dont want to upgrade to Poser 9.
    Progress is apart of life. we each must choose whether or not to follow it.

And I just can't seem to find 4-track tapes any more ;)

Dogz is absolutely right, any technology-based hobby places you in the dilemma of following upgrade cycles, or inevitably falling off the list of supported versions. That doesn't mean the decision not to follow upgrade cycles is wrong, but it is a decision that requires you to accept that you will fall off that technology cliff, and that you are choosing to do so. Neither party is at fault, but each has to accept responsibility for their own decisions.

• LycanthropeXLycanthropeX Posts: 2,287
    edited December 1969

I'm using 2012 and honestly I still use the gen 4 figures most of the time. Working with Genesis in Poser, I never know what is going to work and what wont. I don't like buying anything for Genesis at all, I hate buying something for Genesis and then I find out that there isn't DSON support for it. So it only has a studio installer.

Mostly I still use Gen 4s, Genesis is there as my last resort when I absolutely can't get something to work with Gen 4s.

So I for one would like to see more Gen 4 support.

But I also know that is not likely to happen, Daz does not control what gets supported, the PAs make the products and they make what sells. If Genesis products didn't sell the PAs would continue making Gen 4 stuff

• ameesa001@gmail.com[email protected] Posts: 282
    edited January 2013

While I am not always 100 percent pleased with some decisions DAZ makes, we can't keep blaming them for decisions customers make. DAZ went far to try to get Genesis working in the newest versions of Poser., and unless it's shaders, most everything else can still be used in Poser. The fact that you don't want to upgrade Poser and even give things a try is NOT their fault. I don't use Poser much, and even I upgraded. My upgrade was from Poser 6 and the sidegrade cost me just under 60US. While I realize not everyone can come up with the 60US when SM is running a deal, nor can everyone upgrade a computer to use the newest version, that is still NOT DAZ's fault.

Post edited by [email protected] on
  • Sphinx MagooSphinx Magoo Posts: 585
    edited January 2013

I almost let my monthly PC membership expire, but it was to take advantage of an offer I'd gotten from DAZ to renew for a yearly membership. When I clicked on the link to take them up on their offer, I found out that my monthly membership had already been renewed!

Curse you, DAZ, and your prompt response!!

:ohh:

Post edited by Sphinx Magoo on