HELP!! My DS IS BROKEN AND CAN'T GET UP!!!

jaebeajaebea Posts: 454
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

This is the weirdest thing!! I am still using 4.5.0.114 which has been very stable for me. I haven't updated because of all the problems with the new updates and keeping a close eye on the forum. I was using DS last night and it was working just fine. This evening, I went to start it up...and it just wouldn't start! It will show the initial DS splash screen but won't go any further. I rebooted and tried again...same thing. I uninstalled and reinstalled...tried again...same thing. I don't know what to do. Nothing new has been installed, nothing has changed that I know of since last night. Any ideas or suggestions? I feel the withdrawals all ready!!

Comments

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

jaebea said:
    This is the weirdest thing!! I am still using 4.5.0.114 which has been very stable for me. I haven't updated because of all the problems with the new updates and keeping a close eye on the forum. I was using DS last night and it was working just fine. This evening, I went to start it up...and it just wouldn't start! It will show the initial DS splash screen but won't go any further. I rebooted and tried again...same thing. I uninstalled and reinstalled...tried again...same thing. I don't know what to do. Nothing new has been installed, nothing has changed that I know of since last night. Any ideas or suggestions? I feel the withdrawals all ready!!

Operating system and any security software running...and are any auto-updates enabled?

• jaebeajaebea Posts: 454
    edited December 1969

Win7 64, running 64b version of DS. Norton is running and has been for the past year that DS4.5 has been on this machine. Auto updates for Win64 and Norton are enabled but I didn't receive any notification of any MS updates since last week. Norton updates all the time. So don't know! Especially since I was just working on it last night!

edited December 1969

Generally, if there aren't any intentional changes and auto updates are on, that's probably the first thing to look at...try disabling Norton and starting DS. Often if the CMS can't run, DS has problems running. Norton and the CMS are known not play well together. Good that you track the Windows updates...not many do. So we can probably eliminate one of them as the culprit. But Norton...very likely.

Check to see if the CMS is running...Task Manager, under Services (I think...not going to turn on the Win7 machine to check). If it isn't try manually starting it (should be a shortcut to it in the Start Menu). If it starts up, does it stay running...if it stays running can you then start DS.

If it doesn't stay running, that's the time to disable Norton and try again...if it stays running with Norton disabled, then a recent Norton update is to blame.

• kadosho.dtoidkadosho.dtoid Posts: 2
    edited December 1969

That's pretty scary, hope it doesn't give anyone this much trouble. Good tips btw, just in case for anyone else to read.

• multimediastevemultimediasteve Posts: 31
    edited December 1969

Same problem and will not uninstall. Norten has no effect. Worked fine until yesterday .

• wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
    edited December 1969

jaebea said:
    Win7 64, running 64b version of DS. Norton is running and has been for the past year that DS4.5 has been on this machine. Auto updates for Win64 and Norton are enabled but I didn't receive any notification of any MS updates since last week. Norton updates all the time. So don't know! Especially since I was just working on it last night!

I'd try un-installing Norton and see if that makes a difference. You could also upgrade to the current version of DS, which is very, very stable.
  • Proxima ShiningProxima Shining Posts: 969
    edited December 1969

What about a firewall? Sometimes they can do nasty tricks as well. But how you describe the problem, it really looks like it is antivirus software doing this. Probably got updated recently (you might not even be avare of that) and the update is causing this. Antiviruses look so friendly and innocent, protecting your computer from evil, but actually they can do horrid things to your computer themselves, especially after an update. I once updated my antivirus and it very seriously crashed my PC, I had to uninstall it. Norton is known for not liking DS content EXE installers very much, so I would not be surprised at all if it started to hate DAZ studio itself.

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,383
    edited December 1969

wancow said:
    jaebea said:

I'd try un-installing Norton and see if that makes a difference. You could also upgrade to the current version of DS, which is very, very stable.

Not for me its not.

edited December 1969

I finally solved the problem. I had to switch off Norton antivirus and firewall while I re-installed newest version of Daz Studio. I had to re-install twice to get uninstall routine to uninstall old version. It seems to work with Norton antivirus now, My Windows 8 64bit system with newer version of Daz Studio has not had any issues. Thanks for advice, will be watchful of Norton Antivirus when installing from now on.

• wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
    edited December 1969

MSE.... Microsoft Security Essentials: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/security-essentials-download

I'd ditch Norton asap.

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

I have been using MSE ever since I got Win 7 over two years ago, and I really like it.

I don't bother it much, and it doesn't bother me at all :)

• Proxima ShiningProxima Shining Posts: 969
    edited December 1969

I also use MS Essentials after the horrid experience with previous antivirus mentioned above. It works just fine.

edited December 1969

Whew! Sorry I haven't been on for a few days. Preparing for todays funeral! I have been seriously thinking about ditching Norton. I have Comcast so I got the big Norton package for free but I really need to do something else. Anyway, tonight I went to my DS3 to see if it would load and it started right up. Then, I went back to DS4 and tried to start it and for the first time,I actually got an error message that told me what the problem was. It said the file VCOMP100.dll was missing. Well, where the heck did it go? It was there Tues and gone on Wed. Hmmmmmm....

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited February 2013

You need this I believe, Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package (x64)

You can get it here : http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/confirmation.aspx?id=14632

Post edited by JimmyC_2009 on
    edited February 2013

When I install that, I get the message that there is a newer version installed and it won't give me the option of intalling over it.

Post edited by jaebea on
    edited December 1969

No matter what I did, I could not open DS so I decided to install the newest version. It did start up but Norton tried to block it. Fortunately, I had already created a rule in Norton to always allow access so it had to obey. I just hope the new version won't give any problems!!! Thanks everyone for your suggestions!

edited December 1969

I think I have solved the Norton Riddle. Go down to your task bar and click on the Constant Guard Icon. Click on "Manage my blocked program rules". You should now see a list of 8 or 9 blocked Daz files including some content. Click the unblock buttons.

This seems to be the Comcast Xfinity addon that is doing the blocking and not Norton itself.

Hope this is it at least!

edited December 1969

I forgot to say click the options tab in post above.

Daz Studio is now opening correctly.

Unfortunately, Constant Guard blocked my install manager causing an error and its uninstall routines cannot uninstall the bad version so no install manager for me! Thanks Norton and Comcast! At least Daz Studio is working for now!

edited December 1969

That was totally it!! I didn't know that Constant Guard blocked apart from Norton! I saw all my Daz programs were blocked! If the current release of DS starts messing up on me, I will go back to my stable release!! Thank you!

edited December 1969

jaebea said:
    That was totally it!! I didn't know that Constant Guard blocked apart from Norton! I saw all my Daz programs were blocked! If the current release of DS starts messing up on me, I will go back to my stable release!! Thank you!

You may not have that option...it could very well be that because of updates to the 'nannyware', any DAZ program will be similarly affected...because something changed from the first install to the latest and the most likely change was updates to the 'nannyware'.